Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: squires, the dwarf's solution to make combat easier  (Read 458 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
squires, the dwarf's solution to make combat easier
« on: June 03, 2024, 01:35:53 pm »

Squires! Every knight's want. A helper on the roughshod and terrible battlefield.

Squires would fill the role of acquiring a knight's equipment, moderating the terrors of the battlefield with banter and release of emotion, while training to follow the way of a knight.

On the battlefield, it is easy to run out of equipment. if a bowman runs out of arrows, or a knight loses his weapon, they should carry or fetch such gear (bravery should be a factor!, and the accessibility of weapons stockpiles).

if a knight should falter, or lack confidence, A squire should be there to share words, (hopefully) bolstering the knight.

as well, the squire should carry a weapon for defense, but avoid combat unless the support troops are approached by weaker enemies.

in days where the knight is not fighting foes, he can teach his squire how combat works, among other things.

It is not obvious, but some dwarven civilizations make better warriors than others, in the current game

In the most warlike civilizations, squires would increase the ability of warriors to fight on the battlefield.
Weaker civilizations would find it more practical to train troops with apprenticeships rather than fighting dangerous and costly wars.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: squires, the dwarf's solution to make combat easier
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2024, 09:57:43 pm »

This is an interesting idea but I’m not exactly sure how to envision its implementation.

I suppose squires would have to be military units so that they do not flee in a manner similar to civilians. As for training they would probably have to be stuffed into military squads or maybe military guilds could be established or something.
if a knight should falter, or lack confidence, A squire should be there to share words, (hopefully) bolstering the knight.
This task could be like the Expedition leader’s or Mayor’s job to console unhappy citizens.

“On the battlefield, it is easy to run out of equipment. if a bowman runs out of arrows, or a knight loses his weapon, they should carry or fetch such gear (bravery should be a factor!, and the accessibility of weapons stockpiles).”
Perhaps this could be similar to the hauling or feed patients/prisoners labor.
Max avatar size is 80x80

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 09:37:36 am »

If a knight has lost their weapon it would mean they are no longer capable of wielding it. Weapons are only dropped due to injury. (Or the weapon being wrestled out of their hand but enemy wrestlers are not something you see often.) It would still be useful for ammo refills I guess.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 05:23:01 pm »

If a knight has lost their weapon it would mean they are no longer capable of wielding it. Weapons are only dropped due to injury. (Or the weapon being wrestled out of their hand but enemy wrestlers are not something you see often.) It would still be useful for ammo refills I guess.
right but there's always been an option to have the military not always walking around in their armor.
That no-armor thing is probably because untrained knights slow down drastically carrying everything