Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Venturecracy: Rule the Polis | Turn Eight (new players still welcome)  (Read 5346 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Venturecracy: Rule the Polis

By the authority of Zeus, the wisdom of Athena, and the might of Heracles, the glorious Polis has grown from humble beginnings into a thriving city- it's no Sparta, Thebes, or Athens, but it is a regional power in our little corner of Greece. Our fields are bountiful, our nets full. Our traders roam the seas, for our craftwork is envied. Our hoplites present an impenetrable wall of bronze to any foe. Our philosophers are incomprehensible, which is probably a virtue in their profession. Our temples are glorious and the omens are good. Everything's coming up Polis.
Except for one tiny inconsequential detail.
Namely the government is corrupt, inept, and unpopular.
The Great Families have ruled the Polis since time immemorial. The Oligarchic Council, consisting of the most respected members of the Great Families, has sufficed for most of our history. Unfortunately, in recent years it has become apparent that some members of the council have been abusing their position to enrich themselves and their family- I know, I was surprised too. Gridlock has become increasingly common, as any member of the council can veto a decision for any reason- achieving unanimous support is ever harder as the Polis grows. The bureaucracy is overworked- the fact that only members of the Great Families can become government clerks has led to a serious shortage, to the point where even just collecting taxes is a struggle. As a result of these failings, everyone- from the lowliest slave to the highest-without-being-Great noble- is increasingly frustrated, their needs and wants unmet, their complaints unheard.
Something has to change. Maybe we need a Tyrant who can exert his will without question? Perhaps a Noble Republic would let the lesser nobility take up the slack of governing? Or if we wanted to get really crazy, we could adopt Democracy and let the common people decide what to do! Ahaha! But seriously, that's how bad things are- there are actually people suggesting Democracy.

YOU are a powerful noble of the Polis. You can tell which way the wind is blowing. You have enough wealth and clout to actually make a difference. And you know that if you play your cards right, all this political upheaval can work to your benefit- after all, even in the worst case scenario, a Democracy needs someone to, ah, 'be the voice of the people'.

HERE'S THE DEAL
Anyone can join the game at any time- no matter how many folks have already joined, or how many turns have passed. You will start with 3000 Drachmae, and [Turn Number] Popularity divided as you choose amongst the five Classes.
At the start of the game, you probably want to get a seat on the Oligarchic Council. No problem. Pay 2000 Drachmae, and you're in. However, the Oligarchy will collapse, a Revolution will occur, and the new government will likely have more stringent requirements.
Your goal is to score 100 Points. You score Points by being in a position of power in any non-Oligarchic government. That is to say, nobody scores Points until the first Revolution happens.

Each turn, you:
-Gain 1 Popularity with a Class of your choice. (You should announce which Class you're picking)
-May pay Drachmae to influence the Mood/Power of Classes.
-Perform actions enabled by your governmental position, if any (in the case of Oligarchic Councillors, this means proposing, supporting, or vetoing Proposals).
-Earn your governmental salary, if applicable (Oligarchic Councillors earn 500 Drachmae per turn).
-Negotiate with other players, as desired. Note that you cannot trade Popularity.

A key mechanic of the game is Revolutions. These can happen when a Class's Mood is lower than its Power- the bigger the difference, the higher the chance. When a Revolution happens, the players who are most Popular with the Class leading the Revolution will be given the chance to shape the coming government, and be granted positions in it. The Mood of all classes will be reset, and their Power reduced (usually), but players' Popularity remains unchanged.

An important note: this game is Lazy Fair, which means I as the GM endeavour to do as little work as possible (cos these kinds of games can get out of hand). You will be responsible for keeping track of your own status (and doing so honestly). You don't need my permission to make a deal with another player (though if you want a contract to be GM-enforced, sign it in the thread). For any actions you take that I do need to know about (specified below), tag them with them ACTACTACT (you only need one per post)- when updating, I will search for that exact phrase and ignore everything else.

If you want to discuss this game, get feedback quicker, or discuss games like it, you can join the Risky Ventures Discord.

Them's the basics. Below are some more in-depth rules.

THE CLASSES
There are five Classes in the Polis. They are the Nobility, Priesthood, Soldiers, Merchants, and Commoners.

At the start of the game, each Class has 2 Power and 7 Mood.

A Class's Power may be increased or decreased by 1 by paying 1000 Drachmae multiplied by its current Power. Decreasing a Class's Power will also decrease your Popularity with that class by 1. Multiple players may pay to increase/decrease a Class's Power in the same turn (or the same player can pay multiple times), but it will only shift by a maximum of 1 total by this method (it can shift in other ways as well). You can't reduce a Class's Power below 1.
I DO need to know about this, so tag it with ACTACTACT.

A Class's Mood may be decreased by 1 by paying 500 Drachmae multiplied by its current Power. It may be increased by 1 by paying 500 Drachmae multiplied by its current Mood. A Class's Mood can only shift by a total of 2 per turn by this method.
I DO need to know about this, so tag it with ACTACTACT.

You can exchange Popularity with a Class for Drachmae- though not vice-versa. That is, you can’t buy Popularity. For every 1 Popularity you sacrifice, you earn 250 Drachmae. You can’t do this if you have less than 1 Popularity.
I don’t need to know about this.

Each player is responsible for tracking their Popularity with each Class themselves in their status.

VOTING, PROPOSALS, POLIS ACTIONS
Each turn, the government will vote on what Laws to enact, how to respond to Events, and what Actions the Polis should undertake. In the Oligarchy, it only takes one vote in Support for a Proposal to pass, but also only takes a single Veto for a Proposal to fail (no matter how many votes there are in favour). This is terrible. I will be impressed if you manage to get anything meaningful done at all.
I only need to know about this if you are the first person to Support a Proposal, or the first person to Veto it.

The five Classes will often have opinions on Proposals; Love or Hate.
Anyone who Supports a Proposal a Class Loves or Vetoes a Proposal a Class Hates gains 1 Popularity with that Class. Conversely, Supporting a Proposal a Class Hates or Vetoing one a class Loves will lose 1 Popularity.
When a Proposal passes, Classes who Love it gain 1 Mood, Classes who Hate it lose 1 Mood. When a Proposal with at least one Support fails, Classes who Love it lose 1 Mood, and Classes who Hate it gain 1 Mood.

At the start of the game, the Oligarchy has access to five possible Actions (aka the Basic Campaigns). Actions take effect the turn after they are voted for.
   -Agricultural Expansion: Add 1000 Drachmae to the Polis Treasury. Increases the Power of the Commoners Class by 1.
   -Encourage Commerce: Every player receives 250 Drachmae. Increases the Power of the Merchant Class by 1.
   -Military Campaign: Roll d6. For a result of: 1,2=Remove 1000d from Treasury. 3,4=No effect. 5,6=Add 3000d to Treasury. Increases the Power of the Soldiers Class by 1.
   -Temple Renovations: Increases the Mood of a random Class by 2. Increases the Power of the Priest Class by 1.
   -Sponsor Art, Philosophy, & Science: Increases the Prestige of the Polis by 0.1. Notably, does not increase the Power of any Class.
Every turn, a Class will pick one Basic Campaign it Loves and one it Hates at random (if those are the same, it cancels out). A Class is more likely to Love their corresponding Campaign (2/6 rather than 1/6), and will never Hate their corresponding Campaign. (The Nobility correspond to Sponsor Art, Philosophy, & Science)
Any Councillor may propose performing an Action, putting it up for vote (this counts as them Supporting it; no further Support is required for it to pass).
In principle, the Polis can perform any number of Actions on the same turn. In practice, the Oligarchy only has the Bureaucracy needed to perform one, and performing more will have Bad Consequences.

Laws and Events can do all sorts of stuff, which will be covered case-by-case as they come up.

REVOLUTION
Every turn, any Class whose Mood is lower than its Power may launch a Revolution (if two classes launch a Revolution simultaneously, the more Powerful Class takes priority- if that is also tied, they work together somehow).

When a Revolution occurs, normal gameplay is paused temporarily until a new government is established. In this period, anyone who has positive Popularity with the Revolutionary Class can submit (in thread or by PM) suggestions on what the new government should look like. IMPORTANT: Mention how much Popularity you have when doing so, since more Popular players' suggestions will be given more weight.

Your suggestions can be in whatever form you want, although try to keep them short. The spoiler below contains some example governments, to give a basic idea of what sort of things you could ask for.

Spoiler: Example Governments (click to show/hide)

Not all governments are created equal- that is to say, one might be objectively superior to another.
Almost all governments will give Outsiders the ability to undermine the government somehow. No government is stable enough to last forever.
The Class that created a government can still launch a Revolution against it. People are fickle.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:27:14 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Venturecracy: Rule the Polis
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 01:24:42 pm »

GOVERNMENTS (this list will be updated as Revolutions happen)
Quote from: Oligarchy
CREATED BY: N/A
DESCRIPTION: The Oligarchy is the starting government. It is terrible, and nobody likes it.
OFFICES: Councillor: Anyone can pay 2000 Drachmae to become a Councillor.
   Outsider: Anyone who doesn’t hold any other Office (in any government) is an Outsider.
OFFICE ACTIONS: Councillors can: Propose, Support, Veto. They earn 500 Drachmae and 0 Points per turn.
   Outsiders can: twiddle their thumbs (future governments might give more options).
POLIS ACTIONS: The Oligarchy has 1 Bureaucratic Capacity. It can enact Basic Campaigns.
CLASS MODIFIERS: All Classes lose 1 Mood each turn. The Nobility gain 1 Power each turn.
LASTED FROM-TO: Turn 1 - Turn 3
Quote from: Corrupt People's Council
CREATED BY: Commoners
DESCRIPTION: The People's Council is a more functional version of the Oligarchic Council, lacking Veto powers, only open to those the People approve of, and overseen by the People's Champions. It is also hilariously corrupt, and occasionally beheads people.
OFFICES: Councillor: Anyone with 5 or more Popularity with the Commoners may pay 1000d to become a Councillor. A Councillor cannot be fired, but will lose the position if Executed.
   Champion: Every three turns, the 3 Councillors with the highest Commoner Popularity become the Champions (in addition to the Office of Councillor).
   Executed: Any player with negative Commoner Popularity is Executed at the start of the turn. 
OFFICE ACTIONS: Councillors can: Vote Yes, Vote No, Take Bribes. They earn 500 Drachmae and 2 Points per turn.
   Champions can: Propose, Be Revered, Denounce Citizen. They earn an additional 500 Drachmae and 1 Point per turn (on top of what they earn as a Councillor).
   Outsiders can: Slander Rivals, Investigate Corruption, Participate In Corruption.
   Executed can: Be Dead, Revive. They can do nothing else (do not gain 1 Popularity of your choice each turn). They cannot be the target of Slander Rivals or Denounce Citizen.
POLIS ACTIONS: The Corrupt People's Council has 1 Bureaucratic Capacity. It can enact Basic Campaigns, Enrich Councillors. It receives 1000d in tax profit per turn.
CLASS MODIFIERS: Priests & Soldiers lose 1 Mood each turn. Merchants gain 1 Power each turn.
SPECIAL RULES: The Corrupt People's Council tracks Visible Corruption.
LASTED FROM-TO: Turn 3 - Turn 4
Quote from: Partycracy
CREATED BY: Priests
DESCRIPTION: PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
OFFICES: Mistress of Ceremonies: If the Polis does not host at least one Celebration in a turn, the current MC is deposed, and replaced with the player with the highest Priest Popularity (excluding the former MC).
   Divine Justicar: The MC may appoint any player with positive Priest Popularity as a Divine Justicar. All DJs are fired if the reigning MC is deposed.
OFFICE ACTIONS: The Mistress of Ceremonies can: Suggest, Appoint DJ, Preside Over Ceremony. They earn 0d and 4 Points per turn.
   Divine Justicars can: Vote Yes, Vote No, Dis/respect MC, Quit Office. They earn 500d and 2 Points per turn.
   Outsiders can: Slander Rivals, Party.
POLIS ACTIONS: The Partycracy has 2 Bureaucratic Capacity. It can enact Basic Campaigns, Celebrate (Class). It receives 1000d in tax profit per turn.
CLASS MODIFIERS: Soldiers lose 1 Mood each turn. Priests gain 1 Mood each turn. Nobles gain 1 Power each turn.
SPECIAL RULES: Any non-Priest Class that does not have a Celebration dedicated to them two or more turns in a row loses 1 Mood.
LASTED FROM-TO: Turn 4 - Present

TURN ONE
TURNTURNTURN (this will appear in all turns, albeit in invisible text, to make it easier to find them using the thread search)

We have been blessed with the words of an Oracle! A literal mouthpiece of divine wisdom! The secrets they reveal can change the course of history!

And lo, the Oracle said unto us:

"Y'all are so fucked."

Roll up, roll up. We're doing it, we're making it happen. As explained in the first post, anyone can join at any time. It's Turn One, so you start with 1 Popularity to assign to a Class of your choice. This is in addition to the 1 Popularity you get every turn.

I would explain changes in the Mood/Power of the various Classes here, and the outcome of any events/laws/campaigns enacted, but it's the first turn.

If you have any questions about how the game works, feel free to ask them here or on Discord (link in first post).
This is attempt number one of this particular game, so undoubtedly there are flaws/balance issues that will emerge as the game progresses.
If you have any feedback on the rules as they are now, this is the best time to voice it. I may change things later on as well, but I'm less hesitant about making big changes when the game hasn't really started yet.

Remember to record your status in the thread. Something like this:
Code: [Select]
[spoiler=Name]
1000d

Office: Councillor

Popularity:
Commoners: 0
Merchants: 0
Soldiers: 1
Priests: 0
Nobility: 0+1
[/spoiler]

STATE OF THE POLIS
Treasury: 5000d (this is used to pay for public expenses, and is refilled by taxes. Currently, the Oligarchy breaks even in that regard)(various laws/events/actions may also interact with this)(if this drops below 0 there will be Bad Consequences)
Prestige: 1.0 (this is a multiplier to points earned for being in a position of power)

CLASSES
Class| Mood| Power| Loved Campaign| Hated Campaign
Commoners| 7| 2| Agriculture| Temples
Merchants| 7| 2| Commerce| Sponsor
Soldiers| 7| 2| Sponsor| Commerce
Priests| 7| 2| Agriculture| Agriculture
Nobility| 7| 2| Agriculture| Temples
(Reminder that if a Class Loves and Hates the same Campaign, it cancels out)

Spoiler: Quickref (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2024, 05:48:54 am by NUKE9.13 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 01:48:04 pm »

ACTACTACT
I propose we GO TO WAR.

Nomination: Begin a Military Campaign.

Spoiler: Evicticus Sainticus (click to show/hide)
>:(
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 01:56:41 pm by evictedSaint »

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 01:57:49 pm »

ACTACTACT

A merchant by the name of Tyranos is seen entering the government office and presses for move trade. This move gets him more popular with the merchants.

Spoiler: Tyranos (click to show/hide)

Nomination: Encourage Commerce
Increasing Merchant popularity

« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 04:09:45 pm by MonkeyMarkMario »
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 02:01:41 pm »

ACTACTACT

I veto encouraging commerce.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 02:02:51 pm »

ACTACTACT

I veto Go to War.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2024, 02:12:18 pm »

ACTACTACT

I nominate Agricultural expansion.

It's an easy 3 popularity for any who support it.  Vetoing will cost you 3 pop with the classes.

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2024, 02:15:18 pm »

I support Agricultural expansion.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 02:18:08 pm by MonkeyMarkMario »
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2024, 02:16:57 pm »

Welcome to the Oligarchy!
I explained this on Discord, but I'll explain it here too.

Since no Class cares one way or another about War this turn, evictedSaint Supporting it and MMM Vetoing it has no affect on their Popularity.
However, since the Merchants currently Love Commerce, and the Military Soldiers Hate it, MMM gains 1 Merchant Popularity and loses 1 Military Soldiers Popularity, while eS gains 1 Military Soldiers Popularity and loses 1 Merchant Popularity.

Both campaigns have been proposed and vetoed, which means neither can happen this turn. However, you can still Support or Veto them. It won't make any difference to the Polis, but it will affect your personal Popularity.

I nominate Agricultural expansion.

It's an easy 3 popularity for any who support it.  Vetoing will cost you 3 pop with the classes.
2, actually, since the Priests also Hate Agriculture right now- which cancels out their Love for it.

ACTx3

I support Agricultural expansion.
Only the first supporter/vetoer needs to tag with ACTx3.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 02:47:58 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2024, 02:40:43 pm »

Whaddup gang. It's your boy, Kasho the Elder.

ActActAct: Propose we Sponsor Art, Philosophy, & Science (+Mi, -Me)

I also Support a Military Campaign (±0), Encourage Commerce (+Me, -Mi), and Agricultural Expansion (+No, +Co).

Spoiler: Kasho the Elder (click to show/hide)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2024, 02:48:24 pm »

I've changed the name of the Military Class to the Soldiers Class.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2024, 03:19:15 pm »

ACTACTACT: Veto Sponsor Art, Philosophy, & Science (-So, +Me).

Support Encourage Commerce (+Me, -So) and Agricultural Expansion (+No, +Co).

Increase popularity with Nobilty.

Spoiler: Dexamene (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 03:21:29 pm by Iris »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2024, 03:30:11 pm »

Support Agricultural Expansion

Spoiler: Leo Empiricus (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 08:08:44 pm by m1895 »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2024, 03:49:55 pm »

Initial popularity will go to the COMMONERS.

Support Agricultural Expansion
Veto Sponsor Art, Philosophy, and Science (fuck Plato)
Support Encourage Commerce
Trade out 2 Merchant popularity, 1 Nobility popularity for 750d
Spoiler: Konios the Poorer (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 03:51:29 pm by Powder Miner »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2024, 04:21:56 pm »

(fuck Plato)
Spoiler: Konios the Poorer (click to show/hide)
Certified woman hater
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12