Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strangler  (Read 2644 times)

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strangler
« on: December 22, 2007, 10:41:00 pm »

Success for me has come by way of strangling my enemies.  I've read various threads about how to increase one's stats quickly by wrestling zombies, but I've found it quicker to simply strangle prone or unconcious foes.  I strike at them with my weapon until they're down and then go right for the throat.  It usually takes several rounds to kill, but each round of strangling provides 10 points to wrestling.  It doesn't really take much to attain mastery, this way.  This has been how I've finished all of my quests, too.  Ettins, giants, cyclops. . .  Take 'em down and squeeze their throats.

I've had two characters go pretty far, this way.  I screwed up with the first one, though, by accidentally stealing an item then accidentally murdering a child by running in to him.  :( Silly me. . .  I should have went to stealth right after killing him. . .

Ostsol

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
Re: Strangler
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 01:46:00 am »

Actually, you gain best by attempting to strangle a zombie. Just find a zombie with no mouth, knock it over, break it's legs and arms, and secure the area. After that, strangle that baby till you pass out from overexertion!
Every once in a while he'll 'push' you, which is the weakest attack ever.

Have fun!

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

I still find it much more fun to train via a cave.  My latest adventurer almost achieved mastery in wrestling in the first cave I explored.  I probably could have done it if I hadn't run out of water.  Since the giant was already dead, I returned to town.  The next quest I tried ended in a failure early on.  Basically: I ran into a Giant Cave Spider.  It all goes good until I find a spider. *sighs* Maybe I should mod them out -- or just their web attack.
Ostsol

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

Don't I know about cave spiders! I actualy had a neat Wrestler character named "stranglemurders" by the RNG get killed in one turn by these guys.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ostsol:
<STRONG>Basically: I ran into a Giant Cave Spider.  It all goes good until I find a spider. *sighs*</STRONG>

Welcome to the club! Unfortunately you are just another member among thousands...
Famous last words/thoughts: "I hope I won't meet a cave spider around this corner..."

Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

I backed up my most recent savegame and decided to go on a rampage in a cave I knew was infested with spiders.  My character is pretty great, right now.  I've killed three-dozen named monsters and am a legendary wrestler with my sword skill closing in quickly.  All of my gear is rated "exceptional".  Anyways, I found that I didn't have any trouble with single spiders.  I could usually sneak up to within one square and survive the first attack, then quickly chop off legs and slice and dice the rest.  I killed a handful and then went down some stairs.  A troglodyte was down there and I attacked it -- only to find a spider closing in.  I thought: okay, I can handle this.  Unfortunately, that wasn't a single cave spider.  It was a stack of two, with a third coming in from another passage.  I lasted a few turns, managing to wound one a bit.  Unfortunately, I soon got webbed.  I wasn't stuck for long and probably would have survived if only one spider was trying to paralyze me.  With three, however. . .  I needn't say more.
Ostsol

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 02:07:00 am »

Beating people to death with thongs is so much more satisfying.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Ostsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

You could probably strangle them with the thong, too. . .
Ostsol

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

Beating people to death with artifact thongs is so much more satisfying.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MyBeardIsOnFire:
<STRONG>Beating people to death with artifact thongs is so much more satisfying.</STRONG>

You know, in all the fortresses I've ever visited with an adventurer, I've never found any artifacts. Ever.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 03:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

You know, in all the fortresses I've ever visited with an adventurer, I've never found any artifacts. Ever.</STRONG>

It used to be that if you axe off the artifact holder, and stuff the artifact in the trade depot and bail, the artifact would be retrievable since items don't leave buildings. However, that was back in ye olde 2d version. No idea if it's the same now.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

When I was first learning wrestling I pretty much strangled everything I found, then I went into a ruin and grabbed a zombie's sword and chopped his head off.  Mind you, I had no weapon skills, I put all my points into wrestling.  I could fight with just about any weapon pretty well without much skill in them by leading with wrestling moves.  One quick and easy starting move is to grab the foe's upper body and throw him down.  Most creatures are susceptible to this move.  Once they're down, you can beat/chop/stab at them with whatever weapons you have repeatedly while they not only struggle to get back to their feet, but also against your grip.  I find weapon combat to be faster for outright killing, but being a great wrestler will definately give you the edge in a fight.

Whacking someone with a weapon is a faster way to kill them than strangling, and strangling multiple foes can be tiring.  You don't want to rely too heavily on wrestling unless you have alot of stamina, but it can make many fights much easier.  I tend to think eye gouging is more effective than strangling.  It causes all kinds of nice side effects that can make it easier for you to whack someone's limbs (or head) off.

Being a dwarven wrestler is fun.  I have these mental images of a dwarf tackling a cyclops and holding him down while trying to saw his head off with a short sword...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 01:30:00 am »

I recently modded in the ability to play as a bronze colossus, and was messing around with that.

The great thing about colossi, is that they have such a high damblock that you can get webbed and paralyzed by a spider (or two, or three, as the case has been) and when you get back up, all you have are three or four pages of "the shot glances away" to look at.

Anyways, since I had very little to worry about, I figured I'd have some fun.

* You grab the ratman by the nose with your left hand!

* The ratman strikes at you!
* The shot glances away.

* You pinch the ratman in the nose!

* The ratman strikes at you!
* The shot glances away.

Did you know that you can use the "takedown" and "throw" attacks on a giant rat if you grab them by the nose?  That must look interesting.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 02:13:00 am »

I'm still waiting for the day when we can use wrestled creatures as weapons.  Then all I need to do is find a nice pond, wrestle me up a large trout and go around slapping people with it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

Combine that with an addition of dual-weapon usage, and go around slaying people with twin herrings of doom.  Fish-slapping dance, anyone?

And, for added fun, add the [AXE] skill tag to herrings, so they can be used to cut down trees.

Pages: [1] 2 3