Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why does this minecart dump its items?  (Read 579 times)

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why does this minecart dump its items?
« on: May 19, 2024, 05:15:50 pm »

I've built my first minecart track and after a few permutations, i have the stops set up the way I like.  This track carries cargo from near the surface down to the magma sea level, downhill about 90 z-levels of ramps.  Dwarfs are ordered to guide the cart between all stops.  When headed downhill, twice I have seen them apparently spill the cart contents about 2/3 of the way down, but the cart continues to the bottom on its own (without its dwarf guide) and since there's a wall in front of the bottom stop, it doesn't derail.  What could cause this?  Is the cart perhaps going too fast for the dwarf guide to keep up with it?  Is it that the dwarf gets bored and decides to go do some other job like drink or sleep before the job is finished?  Or could it be some other problem like the minecart hitting an abandoned sock?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Why does this minecart dump its items?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 05:36:29 pm »

A dwarf will not interrupt their task unless the task was taking so long that they went from "Not Hungry" to "Starving" (you only see this happen when a dwarf is hauling something heavy over a long distance).

Socks or other items would not effect the minecart's movement.

Guiding a cart should avoid the danger of colliding with a living creature, according to the Physics section of the Minecart wiki.

Any chance a hostile creature could have caused the dwarf to let go of the minecart? That type of job interruption might cause the guided vehicle to revert to "unguided and capable of gaining momentum". This is something you could also find in the log file, it would say something like "push vehicle job interrupted by crundle/ghost/farmer".
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2024, 11:17:20 pm »

I'm fairly sure that you've organically discovered the shotgun minecart.
If a cart is traveling fast enough and hits a wall, stuff pops out. it will end up flying on the z level above, though there might be some failsafe if the path has no room above it.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 09:16:09 pm »

also the dwarves need time to decelerate the cart from moving downhill, if you have barely any room on each drop, the dwarf is probably losing control.