Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Challenge - Heroes & Villains .47  (Read 6157 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Challenge - Cops and Robbers
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2024, 10:07:57 pm »

Don't tell me that Thruni Mazebites was already killed when you arrives on site
Sorry, I misread the post.

No worries.

The combat was closer than I initially had wanted. My opening ambush failed, and then combat opener was your character parrying my spear your pick and then immediately thwacking me. Like, it wasn't clear at first whether I had just walked in underprepared or not, and was about to lose (despite having no restrictions). But we got there. With good ol' fashioned shift-a, alt-y. The divine metal spear did most of the work though. But ultimately, it had to be the crab chitin shield that bashed your character's neck in. My land speed is so slow I generally don't really have enough time to risk pulling out stuck weapons. (Also, my armor is made out of shell, so an iron pick wasn't going to take long to break through it.)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2024, 10:25:06 pm »

When in doubt, shield bash your opponent.
she/her

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2024, 11:47:53 am »

The rest of my turn will be spent preparing for my would-be assassin. Had a bit of a fey-mood, and I believe whoever is next in line is about to be spoiled by what I'm going to be building for them, lol.

I suspect at least more than one mind shall be utterly shattered by the surprises that await. I might be exaggerating slightly, but I expect people will like it.

Hand-crafted dungeons are a bit of a rarity in this game.

Don't worry, it'll be fun. Probably.

You were definitely one of the original players I thought of when I made this game lol looking forward to whatever mind shattering horrors are unleashed

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2024, 01:30:27 am »

This sounds fun!

Can I be added to turn list? Is it still 0.47?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2024, 05:37:22 am »

This sounds fun!

Can I be added to turn list? Is it still 0.47?
Yes to both!

Turn List so far
Dikbutdagrate (Current)
Wolfkey
Brewerbob
Eric Blank
Luckyowl
Quantum Drop
Kesperan
Maloy
Crystalizedmire

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Challenge - Heroes & Villains .47
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2024, 09:55:36 pm »

Chuck me back onto the list
she/her

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2024, 12:12:19 am »

I'll have to be done by the end of today, and I am not happy about it!

I spent 8 hours trying to debug this accursed cave floater mine room on another save, to ensure the shit would actually work when implemented.
This will sadly not be featured. The best part wasn't the cave floaters, it was after the door locked behind you and the cave floater mines were released. Because that's when then the pointy shit started flying. And it wasn't necessarily meant to hit you, it was meant to hit the cave floaters, which resulted in knock out gas putting your character to sleep. All the while, you were supposed to be able to watch a minecart circle outer perimeter of the room, through these glass window walls, as the minecart made its way around a track, which at its completion, would roll over a pressure plate, that pressure plate would lock the door you're trying to get to at the end of the room, and also release hundreds of undead strangler monkeys into the room to feast upon you.

The cave floater gas rarely worked at all. For some reason most of the cave floaters were crashing the game every time you looked at them. So they had to be scrapped.

I'm also having trouble with getting the enemy mobs to stay still.
Whale sharks are not supposed to be leaving their tanks to form ambush parties, to assault travelling adventurers in the forest, before immediately air drowning!
They're supposed to deploy when you pull the wrong lever. Instead, they either die in their tank upon retiring and switching to a new character, or they form bandit gangs out in the woods.

I haven't even gotten started on hiding loot. Only thing I have finished so far is the very upper most level of the camp (I decided on a camp instead of a fort)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 12:22:19 am by dikbutdagrate »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2024, 01:23:33 am »

Tbh, if I was going to try something that ambitious (and apparently game-breaking?) I would have tested it out ahead of time. That's quite a rube-goldberg contraption from the sounds of it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if trying that in a camp was part of your problem. They can be weird and buggy. Like I wonder if critters aren't being tied to the site as livestock properly, and that's why they're deciding to act like historical figures/people.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2024, 02:02:41 am »

Tbh, if I was going to try something that ambitious (and apparently game-breaking?) I would have tested it out ahead of time. That's quite a rube-goldberg contraption from the sounds of it.

Come to think of it, I wonder if trying that in a camp was part of your problem. They can be weird and buggy. Like I wonder if critters aren't being tied to the site as livestock properly, and that's why they're deciding to act like historical figures/people.

Yeah, I know Eric. It took a lot of time. Like, 36 hours in total for testing so far. (my stupid brain) I was doing a significant amount of the testing in both fort and adv-mode, but I was doing it in .5+ until yesterday.

I got greedy. Figured testing in .5+ would offer additional insight into the current state of the game, which could contribute to other .5 projects I wanna work on down the road. Since I was missing a ton of very useful 47.05 features of Dfhack in .5+, I naively assumed that going back to 47 would actually make things easier.

This past week was also pretty crazy. I had to turn down a turn in the Museum because it was too much stuff on my plate. Between a vacation, and working on a custom module for a one shot I GM'd two days ago, and a... radioactive glass owl, actually no, I'm going to go into that; but suffice it to say, I was crazy busy.

However, the dungeon design isn't looking quite as bleak as I had expected earlier tonight. (Or maybe it looks more bleak? But in a good way?) As I made some serious headway over the last few hours.  It'll be neat for whoever plays through it, I think, but sadly I'm just not going to have the time to make this thing as long as I wanted it to be. And its unclear how cooperative the dungeon mobs are going to be, haha. They'll probably just go AWOL and start mugging people out in the forest again, like this very specific giant octopus.

The fish tanks worked fine in fort mode. Even after retiring and unretiring the fort. The trouble was once you had retired the fort and switched to an adventurer. Because as soon as you get the near the place, the fish escape, and Robin Hood and his band of Merry Cephalopods go and start robbing the ever-living-f**k out of Sherwood God-Damn Forest.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 02:15:04 am by dikbutdagrate »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2024, 02:57:58 am »

Don’t animals and creatures scatter across the map when you retire anyway?

Even still, I pity the fool who has to breach your nightmare fuel fortress.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2024, 12:18:01 pm »

Alright, here is the save.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Adui6GJezVnK6W-5uZJSckTXqb83t9ex/view?usp=sharing

Aru is located here at Losricettad Nganiz Pogush, "Traphouse the Furnace of Suffering"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If the "hero" doesn't get the kill, then we'll work on improving the fort on the next turn. And get some powered minecart stuff going.
Pressure plate traps don't work through gui/advfort, so they have to be made in fort mode, so we may end up building a fort on top of the camp.

Restrictions: No DFhack until you kill my character. And you cannot allocate skill points into observation.

Edit: The plan™  for the statue art/lever puzzle I had in mind didn't work either. The plan™ consisted of two levers, one red and one blue, with corresponding statues in the room before that depicted scenes of horror and/or merriment. You then walk into a room with two levers, a locked door at the end, and many, many, many barrels full of tens of thousands of bees littered everywhere, in addition to tons and tons of raw coal. Hidden above you are divine metal cages containing magma men, who are released from their cages if you pull the wrong lever. This consequently ignites the coal, as well as the barrels, setting the bees free. The trouble was, any attempts to retire and unretire ended up setting all of the magma men free. (And this created other problems, haha)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 12:51:16 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2024, 02:08:49 pm »

The very short adventure of Siga Hathurlecit
I arrived at my destination, scimitar in hand,
and found a strange building made of cheese, and filled with undead.

There i found some sort of abomination with a live rat sewn into it's head, wearing shell armor.

Spoiler: Description (click to show/hide)

I ran out of the strange structure, thinking i ended up at the wrong location and checked my hit list again,

Aru Thiliirum Sereccalthathupur Stathra
Appearance: Wears shell armor, rat sewn into head

Realising i was, in fact, at the correct location, i returned to the cheese building and found a smaller structure within it.

But when i opened the door to the structure, i felt a sudden pain in my leg.
Spoiler: Very normal trap (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Where i landed (click to show/hide)

Laying on the ground in pain, clutching my mangled leg, i saw Aru standing above me.

I crawled away and prepared to strike...

« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 12:33:23 pm by Wolfkey »

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2024, 02:14:04 pm »

I seem to be unable to get the images to work, because i have no idea how to use imgur.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2024, 02:26:58 pm »

I seem to be unable to get the images to work, because i have no idea how to use imgur.

I got you! I had the same problem when I first started posting on these forums
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Click the three bubbles here on your individual pictures

Click "Get share links"

The link you are wanting will be

BBCode (Forums)

Appreciate how fast you got on the save!
I knew dikbutdagrate would make something crazy lol

If I have to take on one of your forts I might just make a huge mob of adventurers so I can switch to the next one when one dies

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2024, 02:44:12 pm »

I'm surprised how quick that was also. Apologies for the misfortune, but that was a rather funny read.
The very short adventure of Siga Hathurlecit
found a strange building made of cheese, and filled with undead.

Looks like you have a week to make a new character to prepare for Quantum Drop to hunt down.

Side note: I really wish there was a way to get Aru to consistently stay put at the same location, ha. The dungeon only makes sense if the boss is located at the end of it. Having the boss at the beginning of it doesn't make sense, you can just skip the dungeon!

Also, looking to get added back to the list, sign me back up!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7