Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: New UI is shit.  (Read 11400 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: New UI is shit.
« Reply #60 on: Today at 04:39:26 pm »

Dont really agree for the most part. I think the new UI is better in most ways. It can still be a chore to find some things in nested menus but its no where near as bad as it used to be. If you played pre-steam you know how vital tools like dwarf therapist were to manage jobs in a sane way. A lot of this quality of life functionality is now integrated into the game and it's just flat out better.

One thing I dislike about the new UI at least is how ASCII mode is handled at the moment. The focus on mouse control for designations means it can be difficult to make precise designations when playing in ASCII mode. I've noticed a few problems with some UI screens in ASCII mode as well, like the lack of text for labor roles compared to in graphical mode, but a lot of these things are very minor and will be ironed out not too long from now I'm sure.

This is my experience almost word for word. I have no shortage of minor grievances, but I can't say I've had anywhere near as hard a time adjusting as some people seem to. Unless I've been hallucinating continuing to play DF these past two years, then clearly the new UI can't be "unplayable". That said, I've certainly experienced the frustration of having the rules of something changed on you just when you think you've mastered them, so I can still empathize with the mindset. It's a shame to admit, but I think the reality is that the nature of DF's development means that it would be very hard (perhaps even impossible) to create a UI for it that any majority of players would be totally happy with. Considering what they were working with, my personal opinion is that Toady and Kitfox did the best they could in the time they had to accomplish it.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:46:09 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]