Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New UI is shit.  (Read 10530 times)

Haartian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: New UI is shit.
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2024, 03:49:01 am »

I'm sorry, but the OP is right - the new UI is unplayable.

It's not just the design of it - lack of/inconvenient/STRAIGHT UP INSANE keyboard shortcuts, forced mouse painting, clunky panels and functionalities hidden behind no-keyboard shortcut buttons - but also the feeling. It's laggy, fails to read input (both keyboard and mouse), assigns unintuitive bindings (after 10h or so I still can't figure out which way is up and down on the mouse scroll, and I strongly believe basic navigation shouldn't be a FromSoft level of challenge to the player), and the text filters/search that used to work perfectly now require the correct word order always.

Oh, and the performance is significantly worse.
I'll probably get crucified for saying this, but it's time to open-source it and let people fix things.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 06:16:47 am by Haartian »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2024, 09:37:22 pm »

Releasing open source is not a magic fix-all, sadly.

Tavy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2024, 03:27:17 pm »

I hate joining band wagons but I've been playing DF since it became a thing on the SA forums, way back when now (probably, I can't remember version numbers from when I started).
 I bought the Steam version because take my money! Tarn earned it with a game like this. Then went back to Classic because I couldn't handle being kicked to the mouse..I played a lot on a laptop so didn't even have a real mouse, and it made it more accessible. It's a tiny game that can suck you in and kill days on end.

Now, I downloaded v50 because I missed playing and wanted to get back to the old school DF, with all the key-highlighted menus.. and you can't even USE that style menu? Unfortunately this thread has answered my question for "how do I get the old sidebar back or display the key bindings on the icons..." -- download v47 again. I really hope I'm not a minority on that, because I liked the old UI - not necessarily for speed or anything but because highlighted key bindings was what made it easy to get good.

It's not unplayable, but it definitely killed a lot of the enjoyment I had for the game for what I thought was an excellent UI for something so complicated. I'm used to text-based interfaces and felt it was a good one, especially with the key highlighting the way it was -- yeah, it takes some learning and practice, but I could also just look right and find the binding - always, and everywhere.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2024, 05:03:45 pm »

Mouse sounds bad, but I wonder if thats not because Im used to uhjk and such.  I bet new players feel differently, I wonder how many have learned DF on the mouse but then tried numpad/uhjk

I guess it makes sense to drop old menu support somewhere, especially if the aim is accessibility.  The same reason it took so long to even consider revamping the UI, which people had been going on about for years.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tavy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2024, 08:06:18 pm »

I feel like with some more keyboard support, the new interface can be made whole for everyone. Mouse crutches and all. Just give me some floaty bold green letters and a proper keyboard cursor and I think we'd be back in the realm.

I'll relearn the key bindings, or revamp them all if I can't hack it. Someone else will probably too, but without the key based cursor full time or access to some functions without the mouse, it's only a half measure.

It isn't totally broken or bad, it just needs to show some love for everyone is all.

BarlowJack

• Bay Watcher
  • But if the Orb and Talons are found...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2024, 08:12:48 am »

I'm still on 47.05, because my preference is so strongly keyboard-only and I don't care about graphics at all. (plus I'm subscribed to the Patreon so I feel no obligation to buy DF)
The old UI was difficult to learn because it lacked consistency and "ascii" is a hurdle for many people who were interested in DF before.
I believe the new UI is a vast improvement for the majority of people who want to play DF.
vim might be my preferred text editor but I recommend Notepad++ to friends and family.

I'm really looking forward to the simulation improvements in the game, so when a version comes out that support keyboard-only I'll upgrade.
Until then, 47.xx was good enough for years, it's still good now.

NappyTheTired

• Bay Watcher
  • Why hello there
    • View Profile
    • Hawks Gaming Club
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2024, 01:17:58 pm »

Well, you may not be the only one, but what is sure is that you are in (by a large margin) minority.
It's sad, though.

I have tried to adapt to it myself, but its understandable that a lot of people find it to be a hassle. Is there any way to make the "classic" version on steam revert to the actual old dwarf fortress ASCII set?

NappyTheTired

• Bay Watcher
  • Why hello there
    • View Profile
    • Hawks Gaming Club
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2024, 01:19:18 pm »

I'm still on 47.05, because my preference is so strongly keyboard-only and I don't care about graphics at all. (plus I'm subscribed to the Patreon so I feel no obligation to buy DF)
The old UI was difficult to learn because it lacked consistency and "ascii" is a hurdle for many people who were interested in DF before.
I believe the new UI is a vast improvement for the majority of people who want to play DF.
vim might be my preferred text editor but I recommend Notepad++ to friends and family.

I'm really looking forward to the simulation improvements in the game, so when a version comes out that support keyboard-only I'll upgrade.
Until then, 47.xx was good enough for years, it's still good now.

For the vast majority of people, yes, but for those familiar with the old version, its a bit of a pain. At least the steam version has direct workshop support, though.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2024, 02:00:07 pm »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with the new UI.  On top the wrist issues that mouse use causes, and the speed of keyboard shortcuts, the game goes randomly black for me. .50 is unplayable because it's not even consistently visible.

Between that and the lack of tilesets I'm on .47 for the foreseeable future.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]