Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'd like to use the same keys for map moving and cursor moving  (Read 660 times)

ivanzypher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As a long-term player, I would like to move the map with 8426, choose an action (chop trees, build nest box, whatever), and use the same keys 8426 to move the cursor. This modal use of the same keys was present in 0.47 but seems to be unavailable in the Steam version. In the Steam version (which I enjoy immensely), if I bind map move and cursor move to the same keys, this is the behaviour: If I choose build nest box, and move the cursor, the map also moves, which while being slightly amusing, makes it impossible to use the same hotkeys. In 0.47 these two actions, map moving and cursor moving, were mutually exclusive. It meant that one could use the same hotkeys for these two actions. This meant that I could do something like this: move map 8426, dt, move cursor 8426, choose area, esc, move map 8426, bwl, move cursor 8426, build workshop, esc, move map 8426... and so on. I'm using the same keys so I'm not jumping around with my right hand or using a modifier with my left.

The Steam version is great! It has great music, QOL features, amazing art. And nearly there with the hotkeys. But not quite. This change would bring back that familiar flying-around-the-menus-at-speed-of-thought that was one of the things that was so immensely pleasurable in the legacy version.

(edit) well, there are other things to get there of course, like hitting i to inspect, q to focus a workshop or whatever... But I think that will come with time. It seemed to me that the above topic I waffled about was an omission in the fundamentals as opposed to an omission in the features, so to speak.

(edit edit) this is mostly because I want to get rid of wasd so I can hotkey with the left hand, perhaps a hybrid approach would be appropriate whereby map scrolling is just used intermittently with the middle mouse button, instead of trying to go full keyboard with a UI that clearly isn't designed like those old ncurses command line apps anymore. Well, there's lots of approaches and opinions probably.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 10:51:43 am by ivanzypher »