Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orchestras performing with conductors and sheet music in the tavern  (Read 1012 times)

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are previous suggestions involving orchestras but most are 10 years old or older so I've decided to post my own suggestion that incorporates modern Dwarf Fortress features like taverns and libraries.

Orchestras require a diverse range of instruments—strings, percussion, and keyboards, etc., often including multiples of some types. If more instruments and players beyond the base requirement are available, they may join in the performance. A conductor is required to lead the ensemble.

An intriguing aspect of incorporating orchestras into Dwarf Fortress would be the involvement of sheet music for specific songs. These compositions could be penned by dwarves visiting or residing within a fortress with a library who have knowledge of songs that can be played by an orchestra. The entire orchestra, in need of this sheet music, would benefit from the scribe's ability to make a copies, ensuring each musician has a score to follow.

The orchestral performances would take place within the tavern given it has ample open floor space, similar to the requirements of tavern dances. With the introduction of the orchestra feature, fortresses might witness the arrival of traveling orchestras. Should a fortress boast a well-equipped library with the necessary writing materials, a member of the visiting orchestra might be inspired to pen the sheet music for one of their melodies.

Furthermore, the implementation could extend to interactions with nobles, who may demand performances of their favorite pieces from time to time.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 11:42:31 am by Enemjay »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orchestras performing with conductors and sheet music in the tavern
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 06:18:14 am »

Sheet music would be a nice way to control the "script" of what you want played i think at least like you say, like if you had a physical sheet copy of performances bought or stored in the library you could select it on the tavern location screen to overwrite the randomization of performances. (sorry i was tired, i basically paraphrased what you already said lol  :P )

In Tavern A, they only recite poetry, all your wordsmith performers and poet visitors might attend.

While in tavern B, the main instrument hall can be set up with a selection of dwarven musical classics.

Makes you wonder what kind of strange kind of theatrical opera dwarves like to watch, some kind of Wagner with hammers? Stories are told, but they aren't nessecarily combined with music, so there's still the annoying storytellers that are going to be in every tavern taking up attention anyway.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 06:19:58 am by FantasticDorf »

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 01:33:26 pm »

In my current game, observing a performer in my tavern, I note that he's a competent musician, dabbling as both a keyboardist and percussionist. He is familiar with a single musical composition titled 'Surely The Fool Weeps There.'

This piece, which is an example of the music form 'Sweetness of Laces,' has no specific subject but the composition is inspired. It is played on two 'oma' and a single 'uslosm', with each instrument contributing to the rhythm and syncopation.

Considering this, I'm curious whether all three instruments are mandatory for the piece to be performed. Could the piece still be played, albeit incompletely, if my performer only played one of these instruments? I plan to conduct some testing to explore this possibility, which might suggest that the orchestra or group performance feature is already functional in the game.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 01:51:15 pm by Enemjay »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 02:53:47 pm »

I'm curious whether all three instruments are mandatory for the piece to be performed. Could the piece still be played, albeit incompletely, if my performer only played one of these instruments? I plan to conduct some testing to explore this possibility, which might suggest that the orchestra or group performance feature is already functional in the game.

At least in adventure mode you can play only one of the instruments (or imitate them). If there's more people around, they sometimes join in and imitate the other instruments (I think this happens also in Fort mode?).