Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: points! Yes, points!  (Read 631 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
points! Yes, points!
« on: March 20, 2024, 04:19:01 pm »

I have a, point to make:
adventure mode should have a score! killing bronze colossi should give the player points!
people should be able to compare scores between adventurers in their game, and even other player's games.
I know deep inside dwarf fortress somewhere, achievements are saved, but it is important to show the player the fruits of their labor, in number form.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: points! Yes, points!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 04:29:05 pm »

Not sure about this TBH. The core philosophy of DF is that it's meant to be a story generator rather than a game that can be "won". This suggestion seems to go against that philosophy. Coming out on top in a battle with a megabeast or demon lord is its own reward IMO.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN:she:her:herself][PRONOUN:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2024, 06:43:40 pm »

Megabeasts do have values for their [DIFFICULTY] token, which is said to increase skill gains for fighting such creatures. I believe its main purpose is selecting what creatures a quester may fight.

I feel like most of the character accomplishments you'd want to brag about would just be events stored in legends anyways. Kill lists, artifact claims, created art, ascending to a position. You really can't quantify all that in the same way.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
My mods:
Language & symbolsMiscellanyGraphics resourcesPseudo-ASCII

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2024, 06:57:13 pm »

My biggest fear is that such a feature would open up a space for "point farmers" who speed through/skip the story and RP aspects of adventure mode because their only goal is amassing as big a score as possible.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2024, 09:29:09 pm »

My biggest fear is that such a feature would open up a space for "point farmers" who speed through/skip the story and RP aspects of adventure mode because their only goal is amassing as big a score as possible.
speeding through stuff in adventure mode means death anyway. that's how the system is balanced.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2024, 01:41:03 am »

Didn't Toady One say he didn't want to gameify things?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2024, 01:52:26 am »

Please no. There's already plenty of games with scores.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2024, 08:10:55 am »

No.  Points would ruin it.  The whole point is trying to put myself into the world.  Don't need points, a HUD, a health bar. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2024, 09:01:06 am »

Id only really tangibly back it if it was actually just a numeric representation of how much fame you're accrediting just for your own player-logged data in relation to different civilizations and their relation to you.

For fortmode its already numerized for code's sake, but represented by ++ and --'s of binary numbers (babysnatchers always have -- relative to you due to their activities). With more hugely quantifiable information in adventuremode such as bard work, poetry, monster hunting, questing and maybe running a player owned inn, you'd want to be running around gathering ++'s for recognition and the benefits/pitfalls, while avoiding the --'s while being able to understand which actions are contributing to it.

Can't see much use for highscores unless comparisons are made calling X character "The Greatest Hero of the Realm" was titular as something to drive towards.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 12:15:44 pm »

Score works just fine in nethack.

Score works fine in dungeoneering in runescape too. (comes with a whole cinematic for clearing a dungeon floor that I can't seem to find.)

The game is sorely lacking in juice for adventure mode as it was, though the upcoming music for adventuring might really help.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2024, 03:10:25 pm »

I'm not entirely keen on the idea of a game score per se, but a journal that better tracks aspects of your adventure like total renown and infamy with various groups you've met and why, such as listing quest goals completed that favor them and crimes against them could be interesting.

The question that always comes up is how much the player should know. Like should you just automatically know how various groups feel about you, or should you have to talk to any member or a specific noble whose tracking that and can tell you the populaces' feelings regarding you. And while the game obviously tracks a lot of things numerically, should that info be displayed numerically or with general verbal terms. It's not like df civs have a social credit score system like China uses, so they wouldn't be tracked like a number by even the nobles who would be keeping tabs on you. Should they post a bounty/reward system, like you committed X crimes but performed Y services or deeds that helped their cause, so they'll forgive your criminal bounties and offer you 500 units currency. But such a bounty system might prove too gamey too, and some crimes like murder might not be forgivable by paying a bounty depending on civ ethics. And every civ has different ethics, so crimes are considered differently.

A numerical value of the total sum of coins you're carrying would be nice. Different civs use different currencies so it's hard to get an idea how much money you're actually hauling around just talking to one guy at a time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2024, 03:46:02 pm »

Exactly. I have no problem with Eric's suggestion, it's just the idea of a game-y "points" system specifically that rubs me the wrong way.