Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can adventurers pull levers in fortresses?  (Read 4282 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Can adventurers pull levers in fortresses?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

Well if no one else has tried it out, I guess I'll give it a shot.  I'll put my dwarves in tombs with their possessions, explore it in adventure mode, and see if everything is where I left it.  I hope so, it would help immensely with this project...

I only hope I have time to get this whole thing done before the next version comes out.  I've put soooo many hours of work into it, but it won't be compatible with the next version, and I'm pretty sure nobody is going to be playing with my old saved worlds when there's hot newness to check out!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

Well isn't this interesting.........

I killed off the dwarf carrying Ostar Fikod, an artifact bed and watched the others carry her items and corpse to her tomb one by one.  Finally, only the bed was left.

And that was it.  Nobody came and got it.  Apparently the bed became fortress property and was not buried with my carpenter.

Can anyone confirm this?  If an artifact creator dies and has a tomb ready, is the artifact not buried with them?

Ugh, this is awful.  I thought I had finally figured out a way to do this...  Sunufabitch.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

Alright, after many hours of work (most of them getting my adventuring character strong enough to take on the massive mob of troglodytes and trolls in my old fortress), I have learned some important things.  Maybe I'll add them to the wiki, if they're all not already there:

1. Definitely true that items in trade depots and stones, gems, and ore do not move when the fortress is shuffled.
2. Levers work as intended.  I drowned my character testing this.
3. Doors that were locked when the fortress was abandoned remain so.  I assume this means that levers which have been pulled remain in the same position as well.
4. The cabinets in the tomb were moved a couple of squares, but still contained all the clothing and remained in the tomb itself.  The other furniture in the tomb stayed where I put it, including the artifact bed, which I built inside the tomb.  I'm still not sure if all artifacts become property of the fortress when the creator dies, or if it's only furniture items.  Toady?

I didn't see any of the masses of food or drink that I had left in stockpiles.  I also did not see any of the skulls or leather that I had left in stockpiles.  Basically, with the exception of the items in the tomb, the minerals, and the trinkets in the trade depot, I did not find any of my items.  I did not explore the entire fortress yet, however, so it may be the case that they are simply hidden deeper in.  This particular fortress was filled with loads of strip mines (looking for iron which I never found), so there's a lot of area to cover.  If I have time I'll try to look through the whole thing.

Is there any new information here?  I hope this helps someone other than me.  I only wish I could get dwarves to claim items other than their clothing so that I could make treasure tombs!

I have never started the economy, as there doesn't seem to be much good that comes of it.  Once you start the economy, do dwarves claim other items and keep them in their inventory?  If so, does anyone know if they end up in their tombs, or if they get reclaimed by the fortress when they die?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 01:14:00 pm »

Dwarves can never own artifacts the way it is now, although I was going to change that later when I did other artifact interactions.  They can just become possessive of artifacts and seek to hold them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 [2]