Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can adventurers pull levers in fortresses?  (Read 4281 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Can adventurers pull levers in fortresses?
« on: August 02, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

I know that adventurers can interact with objects in their own inventory but I've never been able to figure out how to get them to interact with objects on the ground.  Can an adventurer pull a lever in an abandoned fortress, triggering whatever it's hooked up to?

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can adventurers pull levers in fortresses?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

I believe you use 'u' for 'use' on levers.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 11:28:00 am »

Excellent.  I'm in the middle of creating an entire world full of fortresses specifically designed for adventurers to explore, and I wouldn't want my efforts wasted!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 11:47:00 am »

Hi!

But I am just wondering. The fortress is being kind of reconfigured during the change from fortress to adventure mode. I may be a worrywart, but isn't it likely for the levers to get disconnected in the process? I suggest you make some test run to make sure.

Deathworks

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

That would make me very unhappy.  Does anyone know for sure, or will I have to do a test run?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

The levels it comes up with in adv mode for old fortresses don't change how the levers work.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

So if I make a maze based on pulling levers in DF mode, it will work as I intend for Adventure mode?

Excellent!  Thanks Toady!  :D

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »

Oh I hope so.  I'm planning on making a gigantic tomb/crypt/labyrinth that has all sorts of traps.
"Whoops! I pulled the wrong lever and a floodgate popped up behind me blocking my exit.  And is that the sound of rushing water I hear from the corridor that just opened?"

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 07:20:00 am »

Hi!

These thoughts, of course, make it interesting to exchange maps. I mean, you create a few fortresses with such traps and knacks, then save the map and make it available for others to explore. Of course, you do not give them the blue-prints of the fortresses :) :) :)

That could be quite neat.

Deathworks

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

I plan on doing this with the maps I'm making now.  I'll build a few fortress dungeons, mark their locations on the world map, and upload it for all to enjoy.  I want to see what stories people can come up with based on them as well.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 07:45:00 pm »

New question on this project of mine: can adventurers open coffins?  As in, if I have a dwarf who has created an artifact buried in a tomb with all his stuff, will the adventurer be able to open the coffin and get out the artifact?  Or should I be sure not to create tombs for such dwarves if I want adventurers to be able to recover artifacts?
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I would ask if anyone can give a 101 lesson on adventure mode on basic thngs you can and can't do. Basicly what diffrences are there between what your dwarfs can do on fortress mode and what your adventure can do on adventure mode.

PS don't note the spelling, I know its wrong and I have no idea how you spell it,

warfs are fearless...unless they are interupted by a deer.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 03:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>New question on this project of mine: can adventurers open coffins?  As in, if I have a dwarf who has created an artifact buried in a tomb with all his stuff, will the adventurer be able to open the coffin and get out the artifact?  Or should I be sure not to create tombs for such dwarves if I want adventurers to be able to recover artifacts?</STRONG>

The body will be in the tomb. You walk next to the coffin and press [g] to pick it up. The artifact is not in the coffin. When a dwarf with and artifact dies it becomes property of the fortress and will be strewn around like all the other items.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 05:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Grek:
<STRONG>

The body will be in the tomb. You walk next to the coffin and press [g] to pick it up. The artifact is not in the coffin. When a dwarf with and artifact dies it becomes property of the fortress and will be strewn around like all the other items.</STRONG>

That is for generic burial receptacles. If you actually mark something as a tomb, and assign it to a dwarf before he dies, supposedly his possessions will be buried alongside him in his tomb. I haven't ever done this, but it's what others have told me.

If this is true, I wonder if those items will stay in that tomb, or if they will be scattered randomly like other items in a fortress, when explored by an adventurer later. Could be a pretty cool way to store treasure for adventurers if it works. Sappho should savescum a bit and try this out.

\/\/ He describes it well \/\/

[ August 12, 2007: Message edited by: Ravendas ]

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2007, 06:44:00 am »

Hi!

Okay, I have had my bitter experiences with designated tombs before, so here is what they act like in fortress mode:

The naked body is put inside the coffin.
All possessions are placed within the designated room, one item per tile.
Clothes will be put into cabinets if the tomb contains such. Note that for a fully clothed dwarf, you will need two cabinets for all their clothes.
I don't know about other items, but other containers like chests are probably also used if applicable.

After having that one experience, I ceased giving out tombs to everyone since I didn't have enough space and time.

Deathworks

Pages: [1] 2