Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrating goblins  (Read 1605 times)

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrating goblins
« on: November 01, 2007, 11:33:00 pm »

I decided to check out a migrating group I found while wandering earlier.

Lo' and behold, it's a roving pack of gobbies. What did I do? Chased the poor unarmed buggers down and cut them into little pieces with an axe. They run from you, too, though I'm not sure if this is an "Oh shit, heavily armed and armored dwarf about to kill me" run as much as it's a feature of them migrating.

Either way, there's a kind of sick satisfaction in chasing down goblin children and hacking them to bits. This was compounded further when I went to the travel screen to see the group had divided into at least 8 other separate smaller groups fleeing in random directions.

What did I do then? Drew straws to decide which group I was going to hunt down first. This kept me thoroughly entertained for about twenty minutes when I  realized it would likely take me several hours to chase down and kill every single goblin that had scattered about.

This is not a signature.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating goblins
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

Yeah, I noticed there aren't any warriors amongst the Goblins (so far) - So they're prime targets.

Interestingly? It's sort of a new perspective. Normally it's the goblins coming to kill you when you're unarmed and defenseless. I like this retribution.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:09:00 pm »

I was once going to a cave and there seemed to be a bunch of Kobolds around it getting ambushed by cave-spiders and Giant Bats.

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:00 am »

Instead of hunting down the children, you should've left them to fend for themselves in the unforgiving wilderness.  Then again that's a typical beginning to a revenge story.  Any children, whose parents had just been brutally murdered before their very eyes, that manage to survive will grow up looking for revenge.  Probably spending years learning martial arts from a goblin master.  All I have to say is you better have a full suit of adamantium armor when that day comes when goblin retribution is upon you.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 01:10:00 pm »

Of course knowing this mode, you would probably die to a cave spider before then... so the goblin child did all that training for naught but to find out you're already six feet under. So he pisses on your grave and goes to cry in a corner. :P

Blargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://No...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 05:14:00 am »

Actually, he's more likely to go on a suicidal rampage, drafting an army of other orphaned gobboes and raiding every dwarven settlement in close vicinity until he either dies, or becomes so ungodly powerful that he is able to start a genocidal war against the dwarven race... starting with the children.

All because of Squatty McAngercrotch, Axedwarf, and the dark and aching void he ripped into a small goblin child's heart the day he decided to decapitate gobbo-mom. It's kinda like bambi, only with masterwork steel weapons and oodles and oodles of dwarven blood.

I love this game.

quot;Wise men often quote other wise men. The wisest quote themselves."

- Blargh (2007)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

They fled because migrant groups are made of civilians, not trained soldiers.  As soon as the release was made I did something similar, attacking a migrant group of goblins.  Chased one of them until an alligator sideswiped me and brought me to a rather gory end.

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: JT ]

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

I find migrating groups are the best ways to train up skills. I take no greater pleasure in adventure mode than strangling sleeping elven children.

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

Er, how do you FIND the migrant groups? (Let me finish.)

Whenever I come across the telltale "-" symbol on the map and travel there.. I never can find anyone. Closest I've come is finding a human guard just standing around, but I could never find the rest of the caravan. I don't know of a way to open a map for the local area since there's no quest or site there. And then that's assuming there's a blue area to narrow down the location.

Rogan?

Lord Licorice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Blargh:
<STRONG>Squatty McAngercrotch, Axedwarf</STRONG>

I'm glad there's no one else here at my office, because I laughed out loud at this.

Derp.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 12:02:00 am »

Usually when I push > on top of a migrating group I get plopped right in the middle of their little caravan. Maybe the - is only 1 or 2, and only the = is a group.  Heck eventually there could be ≡ for entire nomadic civs.

I can see that now, one maniacal adventurer shows up in the middle of it, one week later half the map is replaced by randomly wandering -'s

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Greiger:
<STRONG>Usually when I push > on top of a migrating group I get plopped right in the middle of their little caravan. Maybe the - is only 1 or 2, and only the = is a group.  Heck eventually there could be ≡ for entire nomadic civs.

I can see that now, one maniacal adventurer shows up in the middle of it, one week later half the map is replaced by randomly wandering -'s</STRONG>

Hmm, that might make sense. Although there have been two joined civs in the town where I'm seeing these small "-" migrations (The town needs some culling, like a horse stampede and gopher attack that happened to poor Friendlytoes village.) So maybe these are leftovers or new mini-migrants?

Rogan?

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 08:03:00 am »

since my dwarf uses an axe whenever i find a migrating group , they scatter so i hit sneak, kill all the parents then chop off at least 2 of every kids limbs, (careful not to kill them) then watch them vomit/bleed to death.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

tis great fun!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: [1] 2