Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Game Over - Good Wins  (Read 8936 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Day 2 - Summon Your Courage [4 / 6]
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2024, 11:20:08 am »

CrystalizedMire, great play!  Especially D1, I think you were pretty high on most folks townreads.

Why'd you pick TM to kill?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2024, 11:38:00 am »

CrystalizedMire, great play!  Especially D1, I think you were pretty high on most folks townreads.

Why'd you pick TM to kill?
Tricmagic was pretty townread.
she/her

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2024, 11:51:12 am »

That doesn't make killing me a good idea, honestly. Max was townread too.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2024, 12:27:36 pm »

ETA 2: Oh, also, Imp... what weird thing did you get from me? Because all I lost was a perfectly normal generic Track. Or was that just a clever ruse?

No, I got this absolutely not normal track, because it's shotted:
Ahhh, yes, that's what you meant. All my stuff was 1-shot as the Chosen One, yes. Although, as other people said, there was another thing it could have been, well spotted nevertheless.

My one chance to be 'useful' mechanically involved either somehow being able to mess up the evil one with a disable that would matter (making N2 safer, but can we even reach D3, hah) or somehow stealing something that proves the evil one.  Didn't expect to think I'd steal something that could maybe prove the chosen one, or that doing could be anything but an embarrassing 'well, wish I had not messed up our chosen one, whoops we still gotta find the evil one'.
It sure did turn out surprisingly useful, right? You gotta love a game where that can happen.

- Non-Evil characters will be given a Role to fakeclaim that they Investigate as (though they will not have all of those Actions.)

I don't know if this was used, as I was a non-evil character and I missed being given a role to fakeclaim.
I think it was a typo for "Evil"?

That doesn't make killing me a good idea, honestly. Max was townread too.
Quarque probably gave me the best possible gift anyone could ask for: surviving to d2 because scum could blame me for the mislynch.

I still don't understand killing Tric here, though.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2024, 12:44:50 pm »

Quarque probably gave me the best possible gift anyone could ask for: surviving to d2 because scum could blame me for the mislynch.
It was a uh.. a well thought out plan. I'm a genius.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2024, 12:53:20 pm »

It was a uh.. a well thought out plan. I'm a genius.
That's what I figured.  ;D

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2024, 01:22:24 pm »

I don't know if this was used, as I was a non-evil character and I missed being given a role to fakeclaim.
I think it was a typo for "Evil"?

Yeah!  I dunno because evil had, apparently, an investigate and also a called shot based on role.

Does evil need to worry about good finding out their role, not alignment?  Maybe they do, but I'd be more concerned about evil than good knowing, so very unsure.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2024, 01:25:37 pm »

Evil gets a Role that is not included in the list of Roles.  They also get a fakeclaim that somewhat matches their Role.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2024, 09:28:07 pm »

Maximum Spin takes a defiant stand, pointing a solitary finger towards the lone suspect.  "I'm afraid, Crystalizedmire, that you've made an elementary mistake."  Maximum Spin, well, spins on his heels, finger now to his forehead, tutting.  "You see, the evidence points to you as the only possible killer."

Everyone's attention turns towards the dead TricMagic.  "I was on guard last Night, and saw that there were only two people that interacted with him--"

Crystalizedmire growls, "So?  That means the second person must've done it!"

"Ah, so you say.  Alas, that is impossible, for I have firsthand knowledge that contradicts this assertion.  The other person was obviously me."

Crystalizedmire's eyes shift.  "Then, it must be that someone used illusion magic to make it look like you targeted TricMagic!"

Maximum Spin laughs.  "A valiant theory!  Alas, the White Rabbit's teachings left a mark upon him.  What say you, Elephant Parade?"

"Well," the young Disciple said, "I'm not exactly in the best position to say for sure, but I've found disguises like Bus Magic and Redirect Magic usually failed when targeting him."

Crystalizedmire ignored the Disciple and moved onto her next theory.  "Fine.  Then it's possible that YOU were the one baffled by illusions!"

"An interesting thought experiment!  Let's explore it.  So, I have to find a person that was targeted by one other person.  Obviously, this means I can't have watched this mysterious person target TricMagic, so I must've seen TricMagic perform their trickery magicks.  Should this have happened, this naturally relegates TricMagic's other trickery to you and whoever I didn't target."

"Assuming you're not the murderer yourself."  Crystalizedmire rebuts.

"Hah!  No, I'm afraid I'm too much of a Nosey Do-Gooder for that."

"So, then you're the Chosen One of legends?"

Maximum Spin smirks.  "Indeed!  Elephant had me figured out immedi--"

Crystalizedmire moved fast, moving her blade to Max's neck in a flash.

"Oh, uh, looking for this?"  Imp says, sheepishly holding a demonic dagger.  "I thought it looked dangerous, so I figured I'd remove it, what with being a Thief and all.  Plus, you guys were blabbing on and on."

The awkward scene is cut short by a familiar laugh.

Good work, heroes.  There is a bit of poison on that last word as the voice oozes from the fog.  Crystalizedmire's eyes go wide, quickly pleading for mercy from her liege before she is engulfed by the mist in a scream cut extremely short.

The prophecy wasn't a falsehood this time.  But, you cannot hold this stolen world forever.

For now, though?  It is yours.

Game unfortunately over.  Pathetic Do-Gooders wins.

Spoiler: Setup (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Prophecies (click to show/hide)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demonology ½: A Prototype - Game Over - Good Wins
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2024, 09:33:45 pm »

So, is there things you liked, didn't like, or would change?

I hoped people would think that, but I was a Disciple with Nullify, Decay, and Frame (!). Pretty bad powerset for a 6-man game, but that's RNG.

webadict: Frame feels all but useless in town hands. Theoretically it protects the target from scum rolecops, but that isn't worth turning them into a miller. If there was a way to change rolename but not alignment -- an option, a single tier that's either-or instead of AND, giving the Evil part an "if you're evil" rider -- then it would be fine.
Good point.  I think Frame being a choice of alignment and/or role would be a fun change.  I did kind of give you some negative Actions, which was a bit intentional as it was some testing, so I hope you didn't mind it too much.

One thing I didn't like when creating the roles was the Always/Sometimes/Rarely mods.  I think just having a pool of available mods would be better.  I will admit that choosing the Ranks was kind of fun, but I'd have to make some changes.  I also probably made the Demon a bit weaker, but I gave some decent prophecies in exchange.  It was always gonna be a bit tough for Crystal, but I think it was very close!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2024, 09:35:50 pm »

Also, was the post limit detrimental or positive, in your experience?

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2024, 09:52:49 pm »

Merciless
The Chosen One has a one-Shot Deify and a one-Shot Kill.
The Chosen One Inspects as Evil and cannot Reveal.

OMG.  Web...

Always has Reveal.
The Chosen One receives powers based on their Prophecy.

Would you have 'revealed' to us that the 'always has reveal' Chosen One did not, this time, have reveal?

Because that... matters.  I'd have struggled badly with that, because that's absolutely true game fact being not true, if you didn't in some way clue us in, if we have a supposedly chosen one who was saying I can't reveal.  Even without a counterclaim... I'd be like "Well, the real chosen one doesn't want to counterclaim you?  But the real chosen one always has reveal...."

How would you have handled that?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2024, 09:54:00 pm »

Also, was the post limit detrimental or positive, in your experience?
It was positive because it made everyone else post less :v

So, is there things you liked, didn't like, or would change?

I hoped people would think that, but I was a Disciple with Nullify, Decay, and Frame (!). Pretty bad powerset for a 6-man game, but that's RNG.

webadict: Frame feels all but useless in town hands. Theoretically it protects the target from scum rolecops, but that isn't worth turning them into a miller. If there was a way to change rolename but not alignment -- an option, a single tier that's either-or instead of AND, giving the Evil part an "if you're evil" rider -- then it would be fine.
Good point.  I think Frame being a choice of alignment and/or role would be a fun change.  I did kind of give you some negative Actions, which was a bit intentional as it was some testing, so I hope you didn't mind it too much.

One thing I didn't like when creating the roles was the Always/Sometimes/Rarely mods.  I think just having a pool of available mods would be better.  I will admit that choosing the Ranks was kind of fun, but I'd have to make some changes.  I also probably made the Demon a bit weaker, but I gave some decent prophecies in exchange.  It was always gonna be a bit tough for Crystal, but I think it was very close!
It didn't bother me at all for the same reason my role was so weak: the game didn't go to N2.

I like Always/Sometimes/Rarely as a way of distinguishing between core and periphery abilities of a role, but I can see how it'd feel limiting. Maybe fold together Sometimes and Rarely?

This would bloat role PMs and increase the amount of work you had to do, but it'd be convenient if role PMs listed all tiers of all abilities possessed by the role (or just those the player could access), not just the one tier the player has. It's easy information to find, but the player is definitely going to need it, so why not just give it to them? As an example of what that might look like:

Elephant Parade - Disciple

You are the disciple of the great illusionist, Francesca Lión.  She taught you the importance of misdirection, hiding in plain sight, and the ways to fight that which denies logic.  No one denied that.  Others may not be able to see through the ruses that control others, but you can.

Role:  Disciple
Alignment:  Good
(Auto) Disciple:  Investigate Abilities performed on you fail.
{3AP} (1-Shot, Night) Overload I:  Use another Ability you control as though it were Rank 0.  Destroy that Ability.
{1AP} (Single, Night) Frame I [target]:  Target permanently Inspects as Evil and a Role of your choice.
{3AP} (Night) Nullify I [target]:  Destroy the target’s Auto Abilities.
{2AP} (Night) Decay II [target]:  Downgrade all Actions the target used during this Phase by one Rank.
Spoiler: Other Ability Ranks (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2024, 09:57:07 pm »

I scumread EP pretty hard for his one word post as a result of the post count.

Not really a good or bad thing, just something that happened.

Also I agree with Imp, the CO always having Reveal and then not having Reveal for one of the prophecies is pretty bastard if that isn’t telegraphed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2024, 09:59:04 pm »

By the way, was there a deadchat?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15