Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Generic Arms Race, Red Faction - Design Phase, 0001  (Read 3605 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generic Arms Race, Red Faction - Design Phase, 0001
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2024, 02:12:33 am »

Okay so I misunderstood what Fallacy was going for with this game, rendering the Menagerie borderline useless for now. Whoops.

Fortunately Blue also did a Shift that lets us design more interesting things. We should probably do one logistical design and one that makes use of the new elements. We probably shouldn’t even bother to ask for mercenaries this turn.
Long Live United Forenia!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2024, 02:26:37 am »

Okay so I misunderstood what Fallacy was going for with this game, rendering the Menagerie borderline useless for now. Whoops.
Less useful in the short term, but better in the long term.

I think a queen could serve as both a heavy combat unit as well as a complex intelligent negotiator?

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2024, 06:47:54 am »

After rereading the rules for the Menagerie I think that it could start to pay off pretty quickly, because it seems we're allowed to do an additional design on top of the two designs we normally get:
Mechanically, each faction may make one Mercenary Request per Design Phase to one Mercenary faction, of which there is currently only the Menagerie.

Fortunately Blue also did a Shift that lets us design more interesting things. We should probably do one logistical design and one that makes use of the new elements. We probably shouldn’t even bother to ask for mercenaries this turn.
I am not convinced that any design using the new elements necessarily yields better results for us. It will increase the difficulty of the roll in return for uncertain gains, see the new rules for designs:

(NEW) Designs may also incorporate one or more of the Core Elements - Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Electricity, and Natura. Designs utilizing the Core Elements tend to be more complex and difficult to create than metacrystal-only designs, and while the creation of lifeforms using Natura is entirely possible, such lifeforms will need sustenance. Natura also resists the other Core Elements being used in the same Design as it, though it will tolerate metacrystal.
It will be extremely difficult to create an animate construct utilizing the Core Elements that is not either wholly biological using Natura, or possessing of a metacrystal core.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2024, 07:10:44 am »

King
The King is a humanoid construct made of durable metacrystal. Colored according to the color of the faction it belongs to. It moves at a slow walk, and can communicate out to the entire battlefield. It has a very complex intelligence allowing it to coordinate high level strategy with other intelligent constructs and share information among them, usually delegating the coordination of local tactics to them. It is specialized in negotiating with extradimensional beings.
Only one King exists at a time. It always attempts to stay far away from the frontlines and is extremely resistant to ranged attacks and magic.

Queen
The Queen is a humanoid construct made of extremely durable metacrystal. Colored according to the color of the faction it belongs to. It moves at great speed and may communicate at short to moderate distances. Complex intelligence, may direct other constructs and share information. Armed with a metacrystal great spear that deals a thundering shock with every blow, which will stun even the mightiest foes. Less mighty foes will be slain outright.
A pawn that has shown great valor in combat may be rebuilt to become a queen.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:16:47 am by Quarque »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2024, 09:40:04 am »

After rereading the rules for the Menagerie I think that it could start to pay off pretty quickly, because it seems we're allowed to do an additional design on top of the two designs we normally get:
Mechanically, each faction may make one Mercenary Request per Design Phase to one Mercenary faction, of which there is currently only the Menagerie.
Yeah, but if we botch negotiations we get blacklisted for a while. So it might be best to wait until we have a negotiator on hand before trying.

Anyway. I wrote a thing, although I'm not totally happy with it. I don't know if it's viable, but even if it is it seems rather bland. I was aiming for a production facility that can be secured behind our walls, so that we build up resources as a battle drags out... but this isn't it, I think. Still gonna share it, both to ask Fallacy if it is viable, and to maybe inspire someone else.

Modular Multifarm
The Modular Multifarm consists of a metacrystal silo with a number of crop fields around it. It requires an overseer with at least Complex intelligence, and a number of Pawns to work the fields.
The silo serves three main functions:
-It modifies a Pawn's spear into a farming tool (useless for combat, necessary for farming). For reasons unknown it also produces straw hats, which serve absolutely no purpose but make the Pawns working there look different. 
-It stores harvested crops, and processes them- usually into food, although crops could potentially be grown that have other uses.
-It generates seeds, fertiliser, and water. To do so, it must be provided with blocks of raw Natura, Earth, and... Water produced by an Elemental Gate.
The fields are empowered so as to accelerate the whole growth process, so that crops may be planted, grow, and be harvested in a single battle.
The Modular Multifarm can produce several different seed types. For now, Mushrooms are the only viable option- they will happily grow without light, although in more barren environments a layer of fertiliser must be laid down before planting. Programming a new seed type is relatively simple, and should be bundled in with designs that require the crop in question.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2024, 05:08:29 pm »

The Red Dwarf

An extremely powerful red metacrystal artifact attuned to FIRE that emits immense levels of light and heat, enough to provide for life anyways. The Red Dwarf is a unique “unit” that can be deployed to one region at a time, should reality decide to divide the battlefield into multiple separate fronts for some reason.

While passively capable of acting as a sun (or second+ sun should another be present), The Red Dwarf is also capable of focusing light into beam attacks that are inaccurate (it’s so far away) but devastating (the sun is a deadly lazer)

Not actually a fan of curry.

——

Cannibal Crystals

Red humanoid metacrystal that really, really hates blue metacrystal. When these entities defeat a foe in battle they voraciously devour their bodies. Cannibal Crystals can “process” raw materials when used domestically, as their body will attempt to separate, for example, stone from ore should those be things we’d need.

The only material they cannot process is blue metacrystal. Instead of passing the blue crystal, Cannibal Crystals begin to turn a purple hue and fly into a blue-directed rage. A raging Cannibal Crystal will continue to rip and tear and devour until it reaches a 50/50 perfect purple split, wherein they will promptly explode.

Cannibal Crystals can target individual units, but they are equally content raging against anything made of blue metacrystal until they explode.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2024, 10:45:42 pm »

Still gonna share it, both to ask Fallacy if it is viable, and to maybe inspire someone else.

Viable as a Design, yes, but maybe impractical in some ways.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2024, 05:25:20 am »

How long are these battle phases normally? Do things get decided in a single pitched combat with whatever units our side start with, or does it play out more like a RTS game?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2024, 08:18:33 am »

It's fairly longer-scale. While quantifying time when there is no day-night cycle or whatnot is kinda difficult to do, the closest comparison I have to our own timeframe is 'a week', incorporating skirmishes, clashes, pushes, sieges, and so on. I'll describe slices of that in each Battle Phase.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2024, 11:50:00 am »

Oh. That’s not what I assumed. I was thinking typical AR timeframes of between a month and a year.
Okay so production/logistics designs are out. At least until we Shift to a longer timeframe.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2024, 04:20:12 pm »

Got any votes in mind? Deadline is in a few hours.

In the future, I'll probably make the deadlines a bit longer, especially when it's a weekend, but we're working with this for now.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2024, 04:41:39 pm »

Quote from: bREaDbox
The Red Dwarf: (1) MoP
Cannibal Crystals: (1) MoP

Voting for myself until anyone makes an argument in favor of anything else.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2024, 05:21:44 pm »

At least one design needs to be a badass combat unit. This could be either the Red Dwarf or the queen.

Now, does the Red Dwarf contain a metacrystal core? The design doesn't mention it. But Fallacy said that designs using the new elemental rules pretty much don't work without one (unless nature).
So I really think it should be mentioned in the design that the dwarf has one. Even then, I am not sure the extra complexity from having a metacrystal core unit will be worth it. That said, if no one else votes for the queen I'll support the Dwarf.

About the King, I really would like to gain menagerie units from next turn onward. If we go dwarf/queen plus cannibal, we can't really do that (and in fact they might be the only ones getting menagerie units).

Quote from: bREaDbox
The Red Dwarf: (1) MoP
Cannibal Crystals: (1) MoP
King: (1) Quarque
Queen: (1) Quarque

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2024, 06:10:26 am »

Now, does the Red Dwarf contain a metacrystal core? The design doesn't mention it. But Fallacy said that designs using the new elemental rules pretty much don't work without one (unless nature).

The exact wording is pretty important here.

It will be extremely difficult to create an animate construct utilizing the Core Elements that is not either wholly biological using Natura, or possessing of a metacrystal core.

The limitation specifically applies to animate constructs. You aren't limited to Designing animate constructs.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2024, 06:52:42 am »

oh, I see

After rereading the red dwarf design more carefully, I fear it is too inaccurate to hit wizards, but perfect for them to destroy buildings if it ever switches hands?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5