Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Sparks of Divinity OOC (10/??)  (Read 4442 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Sparks of Divinity OOC (10/??)
« on: February 04, 2024, 10:08:41 pm »

Build a world! Burn a world! Both are the jobs of responsible

Sparks of Divinity

OOC || IC || Discord

Acts

Direct actions

Acts are spent to make things happen and don't generally carry over between turns. All gods receive an income of two aligned acts in the beginning.

Acts come in several tiers:
  • Aligned: Aligned to one's sphere (and most strongly influenced by action alignment/antialignment). Generally tradeable
  • Unaligned: Unaligned divine acts modestly influenced by action alignment. Generally tradeable
  • Faulty: Worse unaligned divine acts modestly influenced by action alignment. Generally tradeable
  • Feeble: Barely divine acts influenced by action alignment. Generally tradeable

3 lower tier acts can be merged to generate one act of the next highest tier, and 1 act of a higher tier can be split to generate two acts of the next lowest tier.

Differences in act tiers turn up when certain actions require acts with a minimum/maximum tier and when acts are opposed, the latter of which triggers dice rolls. In general, acts are considered to be opposed under these conditions:
  • Direct opposition by anyone else, especially a peer-level antagonist
  • Environmental difficulties, e.g. world actions after world creation or mortal actions during periods of instability
  • Defying celestial policy, prophecies, and similar things
  • Acting against one's own titles/spheres
Each act spent on an opposed action adds another die to the pool which is balanced to be generally beneficial with aligned acts used for aligned actions or unaligned acts for most actions and detrimental with feeble acts or aligned acts used for anti-aligned actions.

Bureaucratic actions

By filling out the requisite forms and paperwork, supplying the necessary bribes fees, and going through proper channels, bureaucratic machinery can take care of any action no matter the cost. This is somewhat offset by its generally slow pace in most circumstances. Here are a few of the factors affecting bureau/department productivity:
  • Office space: One department typically wants one province of space
  • Funding: Supplying requested acts prevents productivity drops
  • Staffing: One department typically wants one entire angelic host
  • Corruption: Much like sacrificing gody parts, corruption can damage any organizational attribute at most any time, but sometimes it's worth it in the short run.

Combat/Smiting

Bur✑❞✷➅ ➠✨❬❴➏➱➽❦

✓➸✙✑❒➺ ❜✧✈❌➎ ❏❍❫➟❷✏➲❻ ✸❐➛❏✈ ✫✟❺

Godly brawls

Fights between gods or god-level opponents like world Pieces use godly brawl rules. Defense is generally easier than offense, and in addition to selecting a defensive stance listed below, a god may elect to (privately) invest one or more standing acts into defending against attacks. Acts spent on defense persist until a god attacks (which wastes the standing act) or is attacked (which uses up the standing act).

Defensive stances:
  • Counterattack: Smite the aggressor! Likely to inflict significant damage against opponents adopting Hit and Run but weak against Careful
  • Fortified: Present a stone wall! Likely to negate damage against foes adopting Aggressive but will almost certainly be outmaneuvered by Hit and Run
  • Disengage: Tactical retreat! Most likely to work against Careful attackers, but won't deter Aggressive enemies

Offensive stances:
  • Aggressive: Attack attack attack! Will most likely catch up to cowards adopting Disengage but unlikely to do anything against Fortified targets
  • Careful: Cautious attack! Avoids Counterattack, but nothing interesting happens with targets adopting Disengage
  • Hit and Run: Opportunistic attack! Can bypass Fortified opponents but will be swatted down by enemies adopting Counterattack

Social combat

✷✦✥✳➅➛➹ ✦➙❋➸❤ ➨✸✉❧❿❗➸❟ ✴❟✟➺❚❲❱ ➦✥✘✢✎❿❺➉❝

Creations/Destructions

The World

Creating the world is accomplished by putting together a number of Grand Pieces costing 5+ aligned+ acts each and Greater Pieces costing 3+ aligned+ acts each. Grand Pieces include suns, moons, the overall shape of the world, and additional planes beyond the material plane, and certain features may have limited slots available. Contradictory Grand Pieces will fight amongst themselves until stability is reached. Greater Pieces include features in/on the aforementioned creations such as continents/oceans/regions in addition to sphere-aligned constellations/comets and the like.

The minimum number of Grand/Greater Pieces required to create the world will be based on the number of gods present. As the number of Grand/Greater Pieces increases beyond the minimum, so will the price/difficulty of adding more Pieces.

Reliably destroying Pieces of the world costs at least as much as was invested into the Pieces, although partial success can still demote or alter the target.

Quote from: Current Piece costs
Piece costs:
TierCost

Grand5+ Aligned
Greater3+ Aligned
Common2+ Aligned or 3+ Unaligned
Lesser1+ Aligned or 2+ Unaligned
Petty1+ Unaligned or 2+ Faulty
Below-Petty1+ Faulty

Spoiler: Cosmogonic Pieces (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Eozoic Pieces (click to show/hide)

Destructions/Alterations
Fighting: Carries the risk of injury and depends heavily on health status or artifacts.
Alteration: Generally costs as much as the next lowest tier, although luck can be used to substitute for part of the cost. Penalties apply for opposed alterations.
Blessings/curses: Temporary bonuses/penalties to various entities. Faulty/Unaligned Acts should be enough for most mortal-scale problems; angels and above probably need Aligned acts.
Smiting: Full smiting generally requires the next lowest tier for decent reliability, but lower amounts can achieve partial smiting.

Divine attributes

Titles and spheres

Gods almost invariably have two titles governing their spheres of interest, although these can be altered or switched under some circumstances. Titles/spheres determine the extent to which an action is aligned, neutral, or anti-aligned. Here are a few examples to convey what's going on:
  • Destroyer of Fire: Aligned for acts involving destroying fire or involving destroying with fire, anti-aligned for creative acts mediated by fire or destructive acts not involving fire that could involve fire
  • Spawn of Sorrow: Aligned for acts involving sorrow or spawning things more loosely related to sorrow, anti-aligned for joyful acts or acts not involving spawning that could involve spawning
  • Feather Sword: Aligned for acts involving birds or warfare, anti-aligned for acts involving peace and the opposite of birds (dribs?)

Should checking titles and spheres end up being too tedious/restrictive, the system may revert to just checking spheres.

Infringing on another god's titles/spheres without their explicit permission flags an action as opposed and will alert said god to the action (even for secret actions!), at which point the god whose titles/spheres are being infringed may elect to react to the action with an action of their own or at least denounce the infringing deity. Allowing infringement to go unchallenged long enough may result in spheres/titles changing hands.

Classes of divinity

Spoiler: Classes of divinity (click to show/hide)

Divine anatomy

Spoiler: Divine anatomy (click to show/hide)

Public sheet:
Code: [Select]
Name: e.g. Vaarsa
Class: Unquenched / Tempered
Specialization: See relevant listing
Titles/spheres (2): e.g. Mother Ocean, Devourer of Coasts
Form: e.g. A gigantic kraken
Description/background: e.g. Vaarsa is a fickle great octopus whose long-standing grudge against the Dry will see many coasts and ships ravaged by her thousand arms, the waves.

Also PM me:
Code: [Select]
Offensive stance: Aggressive/Careful/Hit and run
Defensive stance: Counterattack/Fortified/Disengage

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 10:41:35 pm by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparks of Divinity OOC (0/??)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 10:57:21 pm »

Name: Yalini
Class: Spark
Titles/spheres (2): Trick of the Light, Bird of Light
Form: A bird made of light.
Description/background: Yalini is a relatively large bird who will not hesitate to bend or break some rules.
she/her

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2024, 11:45:35 pm »

Name: ANTHEM-314
Titles/spheres: Rock of Ages, Ghost in the Machine
Form: A mechanical beetle made of stone.
Description/background: ANTHEM-314 is an ascended machine that outlasted its creators as well as the world where it was created. It is said that it is preparing for the arrival of its creators even now.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 11:54:30 pm »

Name: Luka
Titles/spheres (2): Divine Hatter, Protector of the Skulls
Form: A tricorn hat somehow filled with valuable godly organs. Two large eyes adorn the front of the dark black felt hat embroidered with gold.
Description/background: Luka seeks to insure that every head equivalent is under the cozy protection of the Spark's greatest creation, head ware. Will probably become the planet's hat if not stopped with excessive violence, making him the sky.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 12:06:19 am »

Hmmm, serious or stupid? Give me some time to think about it, please.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 05:04:12 pm »

Hmmm, serious or stupid? Give me some time to think about it, please.

I recommend completely serious, except for a very goofy name.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Sparks of Divinity OOC (3/??)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 09:07:12 pm »

I can't believe I forgot to reserve at least one extra post. :P

Added: Yalini, Trick and Bird of the Light (Crystallizedmire)
ANTHEM-314, Rock of Ages, Ghost in the Machine (Supernerd)
Luka, Divine Hatter, Protector of the Skulls (Stirk)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 10:41:32 pm »

Reserved. I actually emerged from exile when I heard of KJP's return...

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 10:47:04 pm »

Name: Yitterblum
Titles/spheres (2): Star of Chaos, Emperor of Flesh
Form: A Kaleidoscopic Sphere of Viscera
Description/background: Yitterblum's flesh twists in unknowable spirals, organs and bones exposing themselves just to be subsumed back within his depths
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 11:40:07 pm »

Name: A-0
Titles/spheres: Bird of Night, Beast Builder
Form: A gargantuan raven with feathers of carbon steel.
Description/background: A shadow of a timeline which never was, her primary purpose is to live and exist for the sake of those who cannot, and to build more beings to do the same.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparks of Divinity OOC (5/??)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 11:07:25 am »

Name: Neobel Eka- Vahi Virasata Vaina
Titles/spheres (2): Noble Heritage, Wine of Life
Form: A multitude of fermenting god organs, wrapped up in grape pustules that occasionally burst into more of the wine that makes up it's twisting orchard of a liquor body.
Description/background: Born from death, given life. NEVVV, seeker of life's waters and pleasures, soother of sorrows and pains. One who seeks, prunes, and ages. Lines continued into the future, the old given new life, aged like fine wines. And a very capricious spark.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:10:41 am by TricMagic »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparks of Divinity OOC (4/??)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 12:49:59 pm »

Name: Sornlun
Titles: Usurper of Heavens, Voice of Flame
Form: A moon-centipede of semi draconic parentage, each of its legs is an usurped sun-hair tress, and its shell is adorned with the glittering scales of messenger-dragons it slew. Its eleven eyes are jewels, each carved from a different divine gemstone.
Description/Background: Sornlun was once the Centipede constellation of one of many starry skies, thrust high by the act of a Weaver of Heavens. Sornlun loved the Weaver, and wanted for it to notice it amongst the myriads of constellations, and suns, and lesser stars. In this quest Sornlun usurped and slew many of its astral kin, so much so that it was shunned and banished by the Weaver.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 03:37:45 pm by Nakéen »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 03:21:25 pm »

Name: Calamos Gladius
Titles/spheres (2): Puissant, Bae Victis
Form: A man standing in a chariot with no visible means of draft. The chariot is also part of me and its appearance changes to suit the onlooker.
Description/background: This entity was born out of the desire of living beings for conquest.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 06:26:10 pm »

Name: Gregory, Dire Rabbit
Titles/spheres (2): Celestial Pope of Civilisation, The One Who Defies Chaos
Form: A rabbit with the head of a whale, legs of a dragon, tail of a cat and eyes of a bee. They wear a shroud of shimmering silver and glistening aether. Adorned upon their head is a mitre composed of Light; a hologramic projection emanates above the mitre. It displays a crescent moon between a brush and a hammer. The hammer menaces with spikes.
Description/background: Gregory, or Greg, believes in creating an ordered society, one untroubled by the chaos of gods and the world. It has had many roles in its life, from a mere animal, then a corporate celestial executive, to a hero, to a divine beggar, a devilish warlord and now, a god in full. Gregory detests orange produce, seeing it as unnatural.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 06:27:50 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Sparks of Divinity OOC (9/??)
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2024, 01:10:52 am »

• Added: Yitterbium (crazyabe), A-0 (Egan_BW), Neobel Eka (TricMagic), Sornlun (Nakéen), Calamos Gladius (Maximum Spin), and Gregory, Dire Rabbit (micelus), Gongon (Demonic Spoon)
  • Updated OOC OP with World Piece descriptions
  • If you haven't already, send me your defensive stance and any acts invested in defense!

IC is up!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 01:49:46 am by Kilojoule Proton »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5