Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Timber rafts  (Read 910 times)

wesleyb

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Timber rafts
« on: February 04, 2024, 07:45:48 pm »

If logs fall into water they are often irretrievable. Timber rafts are a floating container that picks up logs that fall in water, move down stream and can be interacted with by a dwarf in an adjacent Tile. Timber rafts are created automatically if 4+ logs land on the river or sea.
If the timber raft is emptied it despawns. Thus logs that fall into water when trees are felled can be salvaged. If the timber raft remains untouched at the end of summer the logs and timber raft are deleted and a single driftwood is added to the nearest solid tile or ramp. At no time is the raft walkable but if a floor is built on its location the timber raft deletes and a pile of logs appears on the floor. Because its a container it retains the wood type.     

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Timber rafts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2024, 08:15:06 pm »

Sounds too gamey. Why would it despawn after summer?

Proper boats are planned. Log items should just float.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 08:17:18 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 09:45:38 pm »

A better option would just be some kind of big scooping/dredging tool similar to a wheelbarrow that dwarves could use to fish out any items (or bodies) that might have fallen into a body of water.

Make the tool out of wood or metal, build a walkable path beside the item or items in question, then a free dwarf can use the tool to scoop the item out of the water and deposit it on the tile they're standing on for collection.

Still a little gamey since it's only there to solve a gameplay problem, but it's in a way that works within similar systems such as wheelbarrows and stepladders.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 10:15:31 pm »

Wait, why don't logs just float? Sunken logs are so annoying.

All materials have a density, including water (1000) and magma (2000) so why isn't buoyancy a thing? it seems like something easy enough to calculate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 06:16:32 pm »

Items being able to float without needing a special structure is ideal, and i agree with splint that being able to scoop things out of the water makes more sense than rafts.

I actually though this suggestion was going to be about boats, like a simple 3x3 raft kinda like a wagon before getting into advances moving/changing structures.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 06:46:24 pm »

Items being able to float without needing a special structure is ideal, and i agree with splint that being able to scoop things out of the water makes more sense than rafts.

I actually though this suggestion was going to be about boats, like a simple 3x3 raft kinda like a wagon before getting into advances moving/changing structures.

Float sounds like a cool property. It'd be fun to mess around with that.

But in terms of boat support, I mean, just giving us single tile "raft" support for adventure mode only would be neato' by itself.
1x log on the water = a raft. Or just do adv mode crafting, that uses a log or whatever (A higher number of logs is a redundant element that's unnecessary).

All rafts would have to do is allow you to fast travel on water, and maybe keep you alive if the water freezes all of a sudden.

"This is a mudstone toy boat." - What the hell is a boat?