Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Let's Make a Map: Day 8a - Smile Harder  (Read 4720 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 6 - The Southern Gradient
« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2024, 10:40:06 pm »

I like it a lot and I am voting for it now, but I am a little concerned that it's all very hostile. As I've said on the discord, if all the terrain is rough, none of it is rough, etc etc. I'm curious to hear if you all think I'm being overly cautious or if I might have a point.

Quote from: votebox
Solaran Arroyo: (2) m1895, D7

Avanti!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2024, 10:44:58 pm »

having some happy friendly farms fields / grasslands somewhere on the map would be nice, but those can still be in the middle i guess?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2024, 11:00:22 pm »

I feel that if we're going to have one of the edges be difficult terrain, we should really have both of the edges be difficult.

If we have one edge difficult and one edge be easier terrain, unless the center is perfectly balanced between the two or is set up VERY ingeniously, then you're setting up one side of the map to be attacked much more easily with the initial designs.

With that said I do actually feel that this is a bit TOO hostile, maybe. It's so deathworldy it presents the question of "how the hell are people even going to be living here"/makes it so that the main attraction of the region is that it kills you, at least to me.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:05:11 pm by Powder Miner »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2024, 12:19:35 am »

I like it a lot and I am voting for it now, but I am a little concerned that it's all very hostile. As I've said on the discord, if all the terrain is rough, none of it is rough, etc etc. I'm curious to hear if you all think I'm being overly cautious or if I might have a point.

I feel that if we're going to have one of the edges be difficult terrain, we should really have both of the edges be difficult.

If we have one edge difficult and one edge be easier terrain, unless the center is perfectly balanced between the two or is set up VERY ingeniously, then you're setting up one side of the map to be attacked much more easily with the initial designs.

With that said I do actually feel that this is a bit TOO hostile, maybe. It's so deathworldy it presents the question of "how the hell are people even going to be living here"/makes it so that the main attraction of the region is that it kills you, at least to me.

To be honest the salt flats might sound deathworldish but its an actual danger in most salt flats irl that have regular flooding. The center is really just "big cactus" that stick to the banks of the river and its distributaries which can be cleared by a machete or even a sharpened shovel, its not like they're poisonous or violently explode when touched sending their spines outwards. The volcanic lands being the only real abnormal landscape. But we do have another 18ish hours for other people to make proposals so don't worry too hard about it.

Edit: I edited the flats and volcanoes to be a TINY bit more hospitable
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 12:40:15 am by Maxim_inc »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2024, 05:06:15 am »

Once again I'm popping up with a modification for a region:

Quote from: Solaran Arroyo West
To the West is the Great Dry Sea. Believed to have once been an inland sea reaching from the Painted Land, along the 'Amit to [DATA INCOMPLETE], this patchwork basin of salt and silt is now crisscrossed by distributaries from the Arterial River. During the North's wet season this area is flooded, turning the region into a boggy, swampy mess.

As the water recedes, it deposits fresh layers of nutrient rich silt along the banks of the distributaries, although some water is left trapped in depressions, still full of salt from the Sea of millenia ago. These hidden death traps are well known to anything local, but foreign visitors may find themselves falling through the crust of a brine pool to certain doom. Islands of safety (from the brine pools, the thick silt and the flood waters) are scattered throughout the region, literally the islands of ages past now standing proud over the land.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2024, 08:32:56 am »

Solaran Arroyo: (2) m1895, D7, TricMagic
[/quote]We eating cacti salted with tears.
Fine with west modification too if that gets voted.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2024, 03:00:25 pm »

Solaran Arroyo: (4) m1895, D7, TricMagic, Powder Miner

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2024, 03:12:49 pm »

Solaran Arroyo: (5) m1895, D7, TricMagic, Powder Miner, Quarque

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Make a Map: Day 7 - The Keystone
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2024, 07:28:37 pm »

You have decided to give priority to the following proposal for the final map vote:

Quote from: Maxim_inc's Solaran Arroyo
The Solaran Arroyo is the name given to the landscape around the Painted Land that receives some benefit of the river that flows from Monsoon Point to the south but is a stark contrast to the relative greenery of the capital region and generally divided into three distinct zones.

To the West is the Great Dry Sea. Believed to once have been an ancient inland ocean the Dry Sea is a massive salt flat that exists in a depression stretching from the edges of the Painted Land and out into the 'Amit desert where the ground begins to elevate once more and transfers from salt into sand. While outwardly unremarkable the Dry Sea holds a unique characteristic of being regularly flooded by distributaries of the river flowing from Monsoon Point during the rainier season up north. While this outwardly doesn't change the region more than being a bit marshy a month or two out of the year to unwary travelers it presents a grave hazard. While most of the water simply evaporates away over time some of it gathers in rocky depressions and gets trapped under a thick layer of salty crust that prevents its complete evaporation. This resulting in turning the Dry Sea into an invisible minefield where one false step can send a man plummeting into a thick brine pool if he's lucky, or a many dozen foot drop to his death if unlucky. The reprieve for these hazards is the rises in the flats that ages ago were once islands surrounded by water but now are encased in salt, dotted across the Dry Sea like freckles and few in number these little hills covered in vegetation provide landmarks for navigation in the flat expanse.

In the Center is the Sandoras Thornsea, the many mile wide valley entrance to the Painted Lands is host to many myriad of cactus families that take advantage of the presence of water. Here a thousand species of cactus can be cataloged ranging in size from as small as a child's fist to taller than a man interspersed among a splattering of cork oaks and stunted juniper trees. Not impassible but certainly unappealing to cross without proper precautions, the cactus mainly sticks to the banks of the river and the distributaries that break off from it to flow into other parts of the south creating thick bands of cactus that form the main hazard in crossing this region.

To the East stands the Motoro Conelands where volcanic energy is just powerful enough to breach the surface before running out of energy and forming the squat towers of basalt known as splatter cones that give the region its name. Ranging from only one meter in height to over twenty these miniature volcanoes pocket the land in the thousands with many of them still active and needing only a slight disturbance to ooze molten rock from the ground. Despite the danger the Conelands have long been a source of intense mining efforts as the splatter cones have the unique quality of having high amounts of metal in them ranging from common industrial metals to vast quantities of gold. Recent years have seen the innovation of forced eruption where the splatter cones found to be under sufficient pressure are breached and allowed to erupt depositing mineral rich lava to the surface, this done typically during the winter months when the cold winds coming off of the Ice Wall are the strongest allowing for a more rapid cooling of the lava. Besides this in the portion of the region populated by less active and even dormant volcanic vents there is a large coverage of greenery that feeds off the rich volcanic soil and distributaries from the Monsoon Point river that allow for a floral bloom rivaled only by the Painted Lands in its abundance.

For the final prompt, you have 25ish hours to define the center third of the map. The region is bound to the east and west by the Ice Wall and Desert of 'Amit and to the north and south by Evergreen Reach and Solaran Arroyo. While describing the center of the map be sure to answer or address the following:

What sort of terrain makes up the region? Is there any difference across the East, Center, or Western fronts?
What sort of weather occurs in the region? Is there any difference across the East, Center, or Western fronts?
The center of the Center contains a very distinct natural feature that should stand out enough to influence but not inhibit combat in the area, and must be in some way desirable enough (strategically, economically, aesthetically, spitefully) for some hairless apes to kill each other over in the future. What is it?
Note that a river is described as passing from north to south in the previous two prompts, implying but not necessitating a contiguous waterway. If you decide to place a river through the center, that is enough to qualify as the distinct feature but is not extraordinary enough to bar the inclusion of another feature if'n someone gets inspired.

Selected Regions:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 07:30:25 pm by Man of Paper »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 7 - The Keystone
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2024, 08:24:30 pm »

Centerpoint: The Great Lakesides
In the center the terrain slowly fades from Thornsea/Rainforest, to fairly fertile land. It has been fed by constant rain and monsoons flooding the river, and the geothermal vents in the area cause a number of hot springs to form, providing heat on even cold nights to the area. Within the center of this fertile land lies the Great Lake, from which water passes and collects, and during the monsoons swells to new pockets. Here is a plentiful place, where many farms could be built, if only it weren't contested territory and a point of major contention for the to countries.

I'll leave this here. My supprt would be for Savvanah on the desert side TBD, A Great Lake/Farmland area rich and worth fighting for, and Tundra TBD.

Will get to it in the morning.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2024, 08:53:18 pm »

Centerpoint: The Great Lakesides
In the center the terrain slowly fades from Thornsea/Rainforest, to fairly fertile land. It has been fed by constant rain and monsoons flooding the river, and the geothermal vents in the area cause a number of hot springs to form, providing heat on even cold nights to the area. Within the center of this fertile land lies the Great Lake, from which water passes and collects, and during the monsoons swells to new pockets. Here is a plentiful place, where many farms could be built, if only it weren't contested territory and a point of major contention for the to countries.

I'll leave this here. My supprt would be for Savvanah on the desert side TBD, A Great Lake/Farmland area rich and worth fighting for, and Tundra TBD.

Will get to it in the morning.

So is this a lake or lowlands that regularly floods?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2024, 08:59:13 pm »

Probably a lake. ... Might be lowland. Gonna need research I suppose. I'm fine with broad strokes.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2024, 10:52:31 pm »

Probably a lake. ... Might be lowland. Gonna need research I suppose. I'm fine with broad strokes.

I'm interested because the idea of riverine combat and lake battles sounds fun.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 11:40:48 pm by Maxim_inc »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2024, 01:40:24 am »

I was thinking about a lake in the middle too, with lots of fertile farmland surrounding it. In addition I would suggest adding oil fields to make this part of the map extra desirable. Maybe toward the western edge?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2024, 03:39:18 am »

The Great Lake, the Atsuiyama Mountains and the Measured Steppe

In the center of the central swathe (halfway between Monsoon Point and the Painted Lands) is the Great Lake. The Great Lake is a massive navigable lake with several sheltered bays and plenty of fish. 

To the east are the Atsuiyama Mountains, the tallest of which is a stratovolcano called Takaiyama.  Takaiyama is technically still active, but hasn't erupted in centuries.  Down below, the slopes of the Atsuiyama Mountains are very fertile, an a little further up (especially around mount Takaiyama) one can find a number of hot springs. 

To the west is the Measured Steppe.  The Measured Steppe is a vast plain with many shrubs and lots of grass, but few (if any) trees.  Still, there are many animals here (and even some very beautiful flowers in the spring).  Curiously, the Measured Step is dotted with a number of hills.  When examined more closely, these hills turn out to be salt domes that have formed above deposits of oil and natural gas.

Edit:  Fixed some formatting and spelling.

Edit2:  Apparently, SMF won't let me user the bold tags with the center or size tags...

Edit3:  Removed references to man-made structures and human activities.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 03:55:10 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9