Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Let's Make a Map: Day 8a - Smile Harder  (Read 4739 times)

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 4 - The Second Future Capital
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2024, 04:09:22 pm »

The power contained in this one vote is enough to power every home in America for a year.

Avanti!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 3 - The First Future Capital
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2024, 06:15:11 pm »

The painted land seems to have a strong base of support, but it should have at least a token challenge
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lacks substance.  What else it got ‘sides ‘squitoes?  Anything?  Also, is your capslock key broken?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 4 - The Second Future Capital
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2024, 07:35:11 pm »

I'm glad that someone gives this work of art the serious critique that it deserves.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Make a Map: Day 5 - The Northern Gradient
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2024, 08:45:20 pm »

You have decided to give priority to the following proposal for the final map vote:

Quote from: Doubloon-Seven's The Painted Land
The Painted Land

The river born in the slopes of Monsoon Point reaches its southern terminus in the distant Painted Land. What began as clear streams of babbling rainwater has been transformed into a wide, slow thing laden with sediment. Millions of years of river action have carved a canyon through the country's soft rock strata, sharp and jagged at first but growing as broad as the horizon by the time it reaches the sea. The land is called painted because the bands of rock exposed by the river form such a panoply of color: white limestone, black shale, and sandstones in pink, red, yellow, and every color in between.

The highlands beyond the canyon walls (a distinction less marked as one proceeds southward) are relatively arid, with hot summers and cool winters. The soil in these highlands is rocky, but tolerable for thin forests of cork oak and scrubby grasslands home to herds of kudu. Groundwater is exposed to the highlands by limestone sinkholes, or cenotes. The riverine lowlands are much more fertile, irrigated by predictable cycles of flooding. Papyrus reeds and olive trees grow in abundance here, while alligators sun by the riverbanks. The coastal delta experiences a cooler climate, with sea breeze coming off the ocean to regulate temperatures. Here, temperatures are mild to warm year round, with gentle rains falling in the winter. The waters beyond are a vast inland sea of sun-drenched archipelagos, favored by traders for exotic spices but seldom visited due to hazardous shoals and sandbanks.

The sedimentary rock of the Painted Land bears countless karst caves, connected by underground rivers and home to strange species of eyeless fish and cave-adapted lizards.

With the boundaries of the map decided, it is now time to move inward. Wedged between the Desert of 'Amit and The Ice Wall, and south of Monsoon Point, spreads a vast swathe of territory making up roughly 1/3 of the future warzone. This region will act as the rearmost lines protecting the capital region of Monsoon Point. While the terrain may vary wildly, there is something that can be consistently identified across all the region should it ever be divided into three fronts. When determining what sort of terrain makes up these regions, consider the following:

What sort of terrain makes up the region? Is there any difference across the East, Center, or Western fronts?
What sort of weather occurs in the region? Is there any difference across the East, Center, or Western fronts?
Are there any natural resources, landmarks, or otherwise noteworthy aspects of the East, Center, or Western fronts that'd draw the eye/imagination?

Selected Regions:

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Make a Map: Day 5 - The Northern Gradient
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2024, 08:50:12 pm »

Interesting, interesting. I thought we'd be doing it a lane at a time rather than these crosswise slices, so that's cool. I think Powder's idea for the stuff on the Monsoon Point side of the map was gonna be rain. Since I've already had a submission accepted (ty all by the way) I don't think I'm gonna write anything myself though.

Avanti!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2024, 01:18:38 am »

Evergreen Reach

Evergreen Reach is the broad name for the general area that spills out from Monsoon Point between 'Amit and the Ice Wall - although this is a very large area and crosses distinct biomes, there are some clear commonalities as a result of the intense weather patterns to the north: the presence of heavily forested terrain (usually, go figure, plenty of evergreen pine trees), and heavy inclement weather that lashes across the Reach, albeit usually much more intermittently than in Monsoon Point.

The specifics of the Evergreen Reach vary from West to East, though. In the East of the Evergreen Reach, temperatures drop dramatically and the rough hilly terrain present in Monsoon Point in fact heightens significantly, leading to mostly beautiful alpine forest terrain - except that it is beset by vicious snowstorms for most of the year. A notable landmark out here is a point of the land where the hills flatten out into much shorter, rolling little hillocks with curiously far fewer trees. Though seemingly more hospitable, this area, the Frosthollows, is in fact so much sparser because it is full of... well, frosthollows so cold that they don't let trees grow in them.

In the center, the hills flatten out. The central Evergreen Reach is a temperate rainforest - unbelievably lush, unbelievably green, fed both by brunt of the rainstorms coming down from Monsoon Point and the wide, fast-flowing arterial continental river flowing down from Monsoon Point, central Evergreen Reach is... well, it's wet as hell. The riverine environment leads to plenty of mud, fallen logs, ponds, small lakes, and streams, but other than that it's actually quite a pleasant place to be in, if humid.

In the west, the temperate rainforest grows hotter and transforms into a tropical rainforest, the nature of the forest and species of its inhabitants changing with it (though, somehow, there's even a tropical goddamned pine). The tropical rainforest is, while still most CERTAINLY wet, less wet than the temperate rainforest - you can still expect to get soaked, but it isn't very riverine. Instead, the tropical rainforest rolls across gentle hills, fed by the Monsoon Point rainstorms which gather here and bowl against the Cholades, a short mountain range at the edge of the 'Amit which reinforces it with rainshadow. What you have to deal with in the tropical rainforest is more the underbrush, the fact that the canopy is thick enough that the light is dim, and the many forms of wildlife.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:55:36 pm by Powder Miner »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2024, 01:51:04 am »

Evergreen Reach

Evergreen Reach is the broad name for the general area that spills out from Monsoon Point between 'Amit and the Ice Wall - although this is a very large area and crosses distinct biomes, there are some clear commonalities as a result of the intense weather patterns to the north: the presence of heavily forested terrain (usually, go figure, plenty of evergreen pine trees), and heavy inclement weather that lashes across the Reach, albeit usually much more intermittently than in Monsoon Point.

The specifics of the Evergreen Reach vary from West to East, though. In the East of the Evergreen Reach, temperatures drop dramatically and the rough hilly terrain present in Monsoon Point in fact heightens significantly, leading to mostly beautiful alpine forest terrain - except that it is beset by vicious snowstorms for most of the year. It contains the tallest mountain on this side of the map, Mt. Whitecrest, which... isn't very tall, but is still a mountain, technically, depending who you ask.

Elsewhere, the hills flatten out. The center of Evergreen Reach is a temperate rainforest - unbelievably lush, unbelievably green, fed both by brunt of the rainstorms coming down from Monsoon Point and the wide, fast-flowing arterial continental river flowing down from Monsoon Point, central Evergreen Reach is... well, it's wet as hell. The riverine environment leads to plenty of mud, fallen logs, ponds, small lakes, and streams, but other than that it's actually quite a pleasant place to be in, if humid.

In the West of Evergreen Reach lies a high maquis - an area caught in an awkward middleground between forest and shrubland. The rainstorms are the most intermittent here (although, make no mistake, still present), and as Evergreen Reach approaches 'Amit, the quality of the soil decreases - still, it's a fertile enough region to feed plenty of shrubs and bushes, and a great many stunted oaks and evergreen pines. The terrain here is... mostly flat, but small ridges and cliffs along with the patchiness and shortness of the forest here mean that armies in the maquis can stumble from the forest to clearing in seconds. (Also, of course, it's hot.)

I like it though I'm not sure about the western half, I think its still a little too dry for being close to Monsoon Point. I think it would fit more in the center of the map if the South is going to be very hot outside the reprieve of the Painted Land.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2024, 02:01:31 am »

Yeah, it was a balance I had a little trouble striking but I decided it was probably best to err in that direction rather than go with the other "hot forest" idea, which would probably just be a more tropical rainforest or swamp, since there's a heavily riverine temperate rainforest as is

For what it's worth, my own opinion is that if one outer side of the map is rough both outer sides of the map should be rough (so nobody has the disadvantage of having terrain with a similar amount of roughness to the central terrain unless both sides do), so i wouldnt necessarily actually make aridity the defining feature of that side of the map if it were up to me (if maybe a feature)

After rereading the Painted Land I did come to the conclusion that a maquis would be stepping on its identity so I edited to a tropical rainforest in the west
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 02:29:07 am by Powder Miner »

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2024, 02:40:15 am »

Quote from:  The BOAT (Box Of All Time)
Evergreen Reach (1): Maxim

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2024, 06:26:01 am »

I also like the East and Central portions of the Evergreen Reach, however the amount of consistent Wetness in the West feels off for me, so close to the 'Amit. I have an alternative that I'd suggest we slot into the Evergreen Reach.

Quote from: Western Evergreen Reach
Moving westward, the Reach is now at its lowest altitude. Trees are still present here, but restricted to the few hillocks and high points in this wide, flat basin. It is kept mostly dry and arid due to its proximity to the great 'Amit, but it experiences an annual flood that submerges almost the entire region. This is due to a combination of seasonal wet weather at Monsoon Point, meltwater from the Ice Wall, and the gradient of the region sending it all Westward, that makes the land exceptionally fertile for crops and anything that can survive a periodic drowning.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 12:25:37 pm by Kashyyk »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2024, 10:23:00 am »

Powder, it shouldn’t be the Grayteeth, it should be the Cholades. Because the mountains on the other side of ‘Amit are the Anti-Cholades.

:^)

Avanti!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2024, 10:30:53 am »

I also like the East and Central portions of the Evergreen Reach, however the amount of consistent Wetness in the West feels off for me, so close to the 'Amit. I have an alternative that I'd suggest we slot into the Evergreen Reach.

Quote from: Western Evergreen Reach
Moving westward, the Reach is now at its lowest altitude. Trees are still present here, but restricted to the few hillocks and high points in this wide, flat basin. It is kept mostly dry and arid due to its proximity to the great 'Amit, but it experiences an annual flood that submerged almost the entire region. This is due to a combination of seasonal wet weather at Monsoon Point, meltwater from the Ice Wall, and the gradient of the region sending it all Westward, that makes the land exceptional fertile for crops and anything that can survive a periodic drowning.
+1

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2024, 12:34:01 pm »

I also like the East and Central portions of the Evergreen Reach, however the amount of consistent Wetness in the West feels off for me, so close to the 'Amit. I have an alternative that I'd suggest we slot into the Evergreen Reach
It sounds like a lot of the plans other folks have are arid for large portions of the rest of the map; with this in mind, I want to note that it actually is not that crazy for very wet and very dry places to exist in close proximity when separated by mountains courtesy of rain shadow (hence the landmark mountain range I slapped down) - I used to live in Washington State and its famously rainy city Seattle, but just on the other side of its mountains are a completely fucking arid stretch of the state.

Granted, it's less extreme, but if aridity ends up being a larger identity for stuff around the Painted Land AND the desert then we're looking at enough stuff being quite dry that I want to have this be an exception to the rule
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 12:56:12 pm by Powder Miner »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 06, 2024, 02:16:38 pm »

Looking at about six hours left for the turn!

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2024, 02:20:47 pm »

Quote from:  The BOAT (Box Of All Time)
Evergreen Reach (2): Maxim, Quarque

Voting for the proposal in its original form, I like the rain shadow explanation. It makes a lot of sense and it's a cool idea.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9