Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Swordworld - Etherwind (IC) Dungeon Plunging  (Read 16339 times)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Swordworld - Etherwind (IC) Mulligan Town
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2024, 09:20:57 pm »

Lanith pauses for a few moments to take in her surroundings. Then she makes her way to the bulletin board.
she/her

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2024, 10:29:23 pm »

Lysia steps to the side immediately after entering, clearing the path while she stands still and looks around, taking in what she can see of the building. After a few moments of getting her bearings, she heads over to the bulletin board, seeing what is publicly posted before bothering to ask questions of the people here.

Lanith pauses for a few moments to take in her surroundings. Then she makes her way to the bulletin board.

You move to the bulletin board in unison, echoing each other’s steps perfectly.

Most of the board is filled with missing person reports. At the top of each is a detailed artist sketch of face and profile, followed by a name and description, along with last known location and a token reward. Said rewards are universally small, something closer to what you would expect from finding a lost pet then a lost person, with many offering only a service or gratitude. Much of the remaining space is occupied by ads for things the typical adventurer needs. A single bounty poster can be found under some of the missing person posters, easily missed do to their similar structure.

George waves at the cloaked person.
"Hey there friend! We're adventurers that are soon going out to try to stop the Etherwind, so we would like ask some questions in prepartion beforehand. You don't need to answer if the questions are too intruding and you feel uncomfortable.
Starting off, firstly just for confirmation, are you from Watchtower? How long ago did the Etherwind show up? Did everyone flee the village or, are there any missing or those that stayed behind for whatsoever reasons? Can you give your account of the Etherwind? We are looking into travelling to Watchtower for investigative purposes, so are there additional information that would be helpful? Things like any nearby other villages or general dangers present in the area.
"
Turning his head towards the adventurers with him.
"Any other questions you guys feel like asking for our good friend here?"

He pauses before answering, his voice seemingly uncorrupted. “Yes…I was from Watchtower. The wind came two weeks ago, we abandoned the town last week. We are missing many…people who couldn’t get to shelter in time, people who…stopped being themselves and ran to protect others, some who just vanished in the confusion. Good people. People we couldn’t run the village without. It is empty now. Those people…are all probably dead.”

He paused for breath, panting heavily. His miasma oder increases. “I was out hunting when it hit. Knew what the blood rain meant but couldn’t do much about it aside from hide in a nearby cave and pray. Wind swept above me, a bit got in the cave and I felt myself change. It is like having your soul flogged. Nearby villages…none left. Not within a days walk at least. Danger…monsters sometimes. Nothing big gets this close to Mulligan but we had to put bounties out for tough ones some years back. Nothing yo worry about…if you can fight…”

After some more heavy breathing, he adds “…unless wind….returns….”
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2024, 01:22:58 am »

Lysia reaches over and lifts up the papers blocking the view of the bounty, taking a look at what has been left behind after all other jobs were done, and then heads over to the reception counter.
"Excuse me, could you tell us about the Etherwind and the ruins?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2024, 05:38:14 am »

Van tilted its head just slightly.
"Did you notice anything unusual before the red rain started falling? Anything that could offer a bit of warning?"  Its face remained expressionless but its voice was softer than normal

"And what happened to the red liquid when it hit the ground? Did it collect into pools at all or did it get absorbed into the ground?" The thought that the ground and standing water sources in areas hit could be contaminated worried Van quite a bit.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2024, 05:33:51 pm »

Lanith skims though the posters on the bulletin board. She grabs the ones that had the highest reward and reads them carefully.
she/her

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2024, 08:14:25 pm »

Lysia reaches over and lifts up the papers blocking the view of the bounty, taking a look at what has been left behind after all other jobs were done, and then heads over to the reception counter.
"Excuse me, could you tell us about the Etherwind and the ruins?"

Pictured in the bounty is a Runefolk woman with an eyepatch wanted for burglary, a 1000G bounty on her head. Alive only. Given the relatively low reward for the difficulty of finding someone hiding out in the boonies it is likely nobody could be bothered to go after her.

Jiggling the flower on her head with the motion, the Meria nods. “Those are both awfully broad topics, do you have any specific questions?”

Van tilted its head just slightly.
"Did you notice anything unusual before the red rain started falling? Anything that could offer a bit of warning?"  Its face remained expressionless but its voice was softer than normal

"And what happened to the red liquid when it hit the ground? Did it collect into pools at all or did it get absorbed into the ground?" The thought that the ground and standing water sources in areas hit could be contaminated worried Van quite a bit.

“No…not me. Others say the sky went red first…but the trees blocked my view. I didn’t see it…

I remember my cloak being soaked and hugging me tightly. I stomped through…some mud…think…it acted like normal rain, pooling up in some places before draining away. Wasn’t paying close attention….mind was elsewhere.”

Lanith skims though the posters on the bulletin board. She grabs the ones that had the highest reward and reads them carefully.

Aside from the bounty, the highest offers where:
50G: an elf child from Silver Creek.
Grandfather’s sword: a human woman from Thorafin.
Free room: Lykant grandfather from Sawmill Town.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2024, 08:21:47 pm »

"We've just arrived in the area, and want to know what work has already been done to find out about the cause of the Etherwind and what progress has been made mapping out and searching the ruins, as well as any hazards we should keep in mind."
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2024, 05:29:12 am »

"That is very understandable. I can't imagine many people would be very detail-orientated in that situation."

"Did you spend a long time in the cave? Were you in a position to see how long the Etherwind lasted?"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2024, 02:50:42 pm »

"We've just arrived in the area, and want to know what work has already been done to find out about the cause of the Etherwind and what progress has been made mapping out and searching the ruins, as well as any hazards we should keep in mind."

"Currently most progress against the Etherwind is in the way of prevention. Major settlements have begun digging Etherwind shelters in preparation for when it arrives at their doorstep. Personal protection in the form of either worn equipment or portable shelters have begun showing up on the market, however many models are likely to be frauds and none have as of yet been tested in the real Etherwind. None as of yet are endorsed by the Adventurer's Guild. We have not yet received any verifiable information about the origin of the Etherwind. Due to the guild's policy of allowing individual parties freedom in how they operate, I can not disclose how other adventurers are looking into it."

She tilts her head and scans you with her eyes.

"As for the ruins, would you happen to be a guild member?"

"That is very understandable. I can't imagine many people would be very detail-orientated in that situation."

"Did you spend a long time in the cave? Were you in a position to see how long the Etherwind lasted?"

"It felt like forever.....It was getting dark when I left the cave...maybe three or four hours..."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2024, 03:52:54 pm »

Lysia pulls out her card from home, the one she got because of the overlap between hunting and culling nearby monsters, rather than for traditional adventuring, but  she figures that it should do, right?

"Here."

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2024, 03:58:34 pm »

After reading through the papers, Lanith walks toward the reception counter. She waits for Lysia to be done her conversation with receptionist.
she/her

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2024, 11:24:53 pm »

"What about animals? Did you notice a decrease of sightings or are there also other animals being affected by the Etherwind? Any odd things of interest like changes in the general environment?"

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2024, 04:59:18 pm »

Lysia pulls out her card from home, the one she got because of the overlap between hunting and culling nearby monsters, rather than for traditional adventuring, but  she figures that it should do, right?

"Here."

"A card? Interesting custom your local guild office has. Most tend to use something sturdier."

She points to the stairs in the back of the building.

"You can find a map of the southern frontier in the lounge up the stairs. As a courtesy, adventurers may mark the map and the door to explored ruins to allow others to know that they have already been looted. This is not required and non-guild affiliated adventurers will typically not follow this custom, so a mark-free building is not guarantee to be fresh by any means. If you are found abusing this system you will face demerits on your record."

"What about animals? Did you notice a decrease of sightings or are there also other animals being affected by the Etherwind? Any odd things of interest like changes in the general environment?"

"No...animals didn't change. We had dogs...Still have dogs...they're safe...there was birds in the trees...they flew when I started running..."

He takes a break to cough.

"It seemed normal...until the blood rain...dark from the clouds maybe..."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2024, 03:24:08 am »

"Thank you."
and so Lysia takes a step towards the back stairs, but then turns to look for Lanith, unwilling to proceed alone.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2024, 04:43:44 am »

"Hrrrm, Would you be willing to talk in detail about any changes from the rain you've experienced? I understand if that's too personal a question though."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17