Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should the next fortress be?

Embark upon the cavern layer! Survive the depths!
- 3 (60%)
Reclaim our destroyed capital after filling it with divine weapons and armor! March with the fury of heaven!
- 2 (40%)
Other(post a comment with idea)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Longnight the Umbral Souls: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 27947 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #345 on: July 30, 2024, 02:37:52 pm »

Fort mode really screws up when you retire, and it takes an enormous amount of work to unscrew everything. Seconding Otto.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 30, 2024, 04:39:13 pm »

maybe we throw in a new turn list of adventurers before the next fortress. sign me up for a suicidal run to retrieve various artifacts!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 31, 2024, 03:12:25 pm »

I've picked up the save and starting my shenanigans

Yes, I meant to say we would start a brand new adventure mode turn list. The old fortress mode one will be kept and will start back once we are done with adventure mode :)

Adventure turns:
Maloy
Kesperan
Otto_K
Salmeuk

When we start back on fort mode it should be LeftHandofGod's turn! I'm also fine with letting Salmeuk play out his missed turn since real life kind of sabotaged it for him

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 02, 2024, 01:51:34 pm »

Sign me up for an adv turn.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 02, 2024, 02:37:19 pm »

Sign me up for an adv turn.

Confirmed :D

I stood upon the surface with one leg braced upon a tree stump observing our handiwork:

The elven jungle was stubborn, magical and wicked. It constantly sought to creep back into the area, but constant labor from the dwarves had left a field of stumps with logs left where they lie. The rest of the forest was in the distance whispering elvish curses at us. Every pond had been filled in to deprive the flora and fauna of what sustenance they could.

I was enjoying a nice pipe and surveying our just carnage when Otto_K, military officer, legendary slayer of Omba and messenger arrived.
"Message for the Overseer" he stated and handed me the sealed scroll.
Overseer again. Since starting this campaign in the Forests of Burning I had lost every single one of my friends to battle. I could still see old spots in the fields where foolish dwarves would take naps near sun-dappled pools before being murdered. No. I would see no more dead.

I unfurled the scroll and read it while Otto waited patiently next to me

I threw it to the ground and spit upon the tree stump in disgust!
Otto looked concerned about my obvious disrespect of official orders "What's wrong?" he asked
"It's over. Whole durned thing is over!"
He continued to wait patiently, but looked at me expectantly to continue

"Orders from the crown: Forests of Burning is to have its funding cut and will no longer be receiving migrants via official dwarven migration. With the incorporation of the goblin kingdom the Standards of Control have become an empire with robust administrative needs and the emperor has determined that resources would better be spent elsewhere. A new secret expedition is in the works. We're to stand down, go dormant and await further orders."
Otto scowled and I continued "We're done, Otto. Its over."
"There must be something we can do!"
"Yeah. I got an idea. I'll tell you more tomorrow"

I spent the day arranging things. Sent half of the fort to reinforces different settlements and set aside some for what was to come. Spoke with my new master, did I mention I became an apprentice naturalist?

Master agreed to my plans and from there I didn't sleep a wink. Gathered every dog and tiger in the fort and gathered my squad.

By morning we were set with some of the most legendary warriors in dwarven history and an army of war beasts. I gave my final order for the last of the forest to be cut down and the soil poisoned that no trees might grow here ever again(provided no one unretires ;) )

I embraced Otto and entrusted him with the fortress and departed deep into the elven jungles.

Do elves have capitals? I can't tell you. Tree huggers probably would tell you one tree is greater than another, but we had no clue. So, I marched us right into the middle of the jungle and we burned it down and conquered it.
Mountainhome won't be giving us support anymore, but we'll make those blasted elves pay for every lost dwarf and the first thing I'm gonna do is make these elves we captured build a drinking mound where one of their sacred trees used to be.

Final image of fort with all the trees gone!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mostly happy end fort except no longer a city and one child is psychotically angry

I'm starting my adventure mode run now. Also had to include Tonnot's original dwarf into one more legendary feat before she pops up at our next fort somehow lol. She went on our little conquest run, maybe she will get more kills as the elves attempt to retake it over the years
« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 02:41:08 pm by Maloy »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 04, 2024, 04:52:18 am »

One of the thoughts I had was perhaps founding a new fort then retiring before building anything. That way, adventurers could gather artifacts or objects then retire at the new fort?

I was thinking how neat it would be to raid a vault and retire on a new fort with a sack full of divine metal…

(I don’t even know how to find vaults on this version without a decent third party legends program.)
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 05, 2024, 08:23:11 pm »

Here is the save Kesp
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17160

I had more time, but I'm still trying to learn the new system so I was spending most of my time just learning and not doing. I'm gonna practice more on some less important worlds lol

Adventure still doesn't have the quest log yet which I relied on hugely for navigating. I was really lost as I wasn't sure who owned what settlement and what the significance was

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2024, 03:40:20 pm »

I’ve got a busy few weeks at work so I might ask to get put down the queue a few turns if that’s ok.

Have you decided where the next fort will be? That might help focus adventure mode… see my suggestion above.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2024, 05:13:06 pm »

I’ve got a busy few weeks at work so I might ask to get put down the queue a few turns if that’s ok.

Have you decided where the next fort will be? That might help focus adventure mode… see my suggestion above.

yeah! It'd be Otto next.

I liked your idea and I know earlier a couple of people suggested they wanted a fort that embarked on the cavern levels

I'll throw up a new poll to vote. If we go the vault route we could reclaim a world gen fort(such as our peoples capital) and march forth with the weapons and armor of heaven!

Both fort ideas sound fun to me tbh

Poll is up!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 09:22:19 pm by Maloy »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2024, 07:24:59 pm »

If we go the vault route we could reclaim a world gen fort(such as our peoples capital) and march forth with the weapons and armor of heaven!

YES!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 07, 2024, 06:11:51 am »

I realized i need a bit more practice on adv mode myself. Also i got a bit sick so i don't have energy atm.

Can you put me down in the list, and Salmeuk or dikbutdagrate can play now?
Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2024, 10:22:42 am »

I've been mostly too sick to plan and play an adventure. I'm starting to get better now, though. If nobody else has started yet, is it okay to start my turn now?

Also, i did some research. Here's the history of various valuable items from the fortress of Gateheaven

Gateheaven History of Artefacts

Gateheaven history of Named Items

My favorites of these are the Undignified Tours, the lost face veil of the queen. Glen of Complexity, the Colossus slaying weapon of Furga. And Glowlace, the legendary hydra-slaying pickaxe of Bruenor. Sadly so much has been stolen or destroyed

Edit:

What about the steel spear that got stolen?

This was just the items of Gateheaven, there's an even longer list of stuff for Earthenjungle. I'll probably make a post about those items at some point either sooner or later
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 01:14:36 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2024, 11:10:51 am »

What about the steel spear that got stolen?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 10, 2024, 07:44:16 pm »

amazing history writeup, love those kinds of highlights, and we've played enough between these fortresses to generate quite a few interesting ones.

I wonder, I've never tried this - is it possible to send squads to your old fortresses to loot their artifacts, if they have been abandoned? or do the objects become lost to history at that point?

I'm personally too zzz for adventure, so I say go for it. lets keep this world going!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 07:50:20 pm by Salmeuk »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 10, 2024, 08:11:25 pm »

amazing history writeup, love those kinds of highlights, and we've played enough between these fortresses to generate quite a few interesting ones.

I wonder, I've never tried this - is it possible to send squads to your old fortresses to loot their artifacts, if they have been abandoned? or do the objects become lost to history at that point?

I'm personally too zzz for adventure, so I say go for it. lets keep this world going!

You cannot raid your own civ. It is possible to do so if you start a fort from a different dwarven civ though.

If they catch you they will potentially declare war on you. I had a dwarven civ raid my fort once... I felt kinda bad :(
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27