Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should the next fortress be?

Embark upon the cavern layer! Survive the depths!
- 3 (60%)
Reclaim our destroyed capital after filling it with divine weapons and armor! March with the fury of heaven!
- 2 (40%)
Other(post a comment with idea)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Longnight the Umbral Souls: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 27973 times)

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels task: interrupted by werebison
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2024, 07:40:38 am »

sounds good.. I'm a bit confused on the timelines. I'll just pretend it was all a bad dream

Ok, so, it looks like it went like this:

Otto played year 171, and had fire imp problems.

Kesperan rolled back the save to the start of 171(ish), and modified the forges. This took until late spring 171.

I played the save from late spring 171 to mid-summer 171, though I had to do early summer twice due to a crash.

It is now (in-thread at least) mid-summer 171, and Otto is doing another half-turn since I stopped mid-year.

So yeah, there's two "dream sequences" in the records now. Otto's fire imp infestation, and my early summer raid on the humans.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2024, 03:25:21 pm »

The turns are supposed to be one week IRL so people can do multiple years if they have time.

I did two years on my turn.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 17, 2024, 04:10:13 am »

Img 1: The two sides of the same name

Interlude: The True Timeline

One can easily get distracted by the smells and sounds of the tavern at the keep, but ‘Otto_K’ Kivishsazir and ‘Otto_K II’ Bootpulled didn’t pay much mind to the creaking of the wet boards, or the rain, or the mud carried from outside by the army of foreign thieves and spies always coming and going, plying their corrupt schemes. The two dwarves were locked in an intense conversation.

They were starting to realize that they had nothing in common. ‘Otto_K’ thought war was completely wasteful, but the power and glory of conquest was everything to ‘Otto_K II’. While Bootpulled was a callous, withdrawn man, with great ambition, Kivishsazir was quick to love and anger, and truly loved helping others, after becoming a parent. “So, I guess there’s no chance of us becoming friends, eh?” Bootpulled said.

“Indeed”, said Kivishsazir. Most of his friends were dead or staying in Gateheaven, and he devoted himself to his wife and daughter. He turned when he heard loud footsteps and saw ‘Maloy II’, the strategist, storming into the room, clearly upset. ‘Otto_K II’ rose to greet his old friend, but Maloy had words to the other dwarf.

“Kivishsazir, you once dreamt of a future where the fort suffered a great calamity, and you yourself died? It troubles me greatly to say that it has happened again. I saw my entire warband burnt to ash in the depths, and myself…” the strong dwarf shuddered. “You know the prophecies. You should lead the fort for a time, so they don’t come to pass.”

“I’ll help you!” ‘Otto_K II’ chirped suddenly. ‘Otto_K’ looked dejected but sighed, “Fine. But don’t make a mess of this. All right then… Let’s get to it!”

• From the book 'Earthjungles and Other Atrocities', written in year 219 by an unknown creature

Here's the story that didn't happen, but some stuff is still the same:
Earthenjungles: Spring 171
Fall and winter of 171
How many must die? That’s the question. Well, turns out, everybody’s dead. EVERYBODY. IS. DEAD.

Img 2: Bone crafts

Img 3: Singing dwarves

Earthenjungles: Summer 171… again

Things are shaping up pretty much the same way, except for the truly beautiful new forge-halls. I’m also grateful to Maise for butchering our massive excess of animals, so I don’t have to worry about it anymore. Looks like a lot of the leather and meat went to ruin, but that’s just what happens when you have to clear out a bunch of animals.

I did the new trash chute and the second floor expansion, the same as first time. Vucar Dipcity is 'Bruenor II' again, and may she not die immediately. There's so much metal hauling and stuff going on… I made special refuse stockpiles for boneworking and wool-spinning in the clothing floor. After spinning a thousand new units, we have 4400 cloth, a couple hundred thread and a healthy stock of llamas. All cloth production work has now been stopped, from farming, shearing, to spinning. We have enough to last a lifetime. I let DFHack's Tailor handle the clothing orders.

The drowning trap was renovated yet again, and the junk weapons moved from the adjoining opening to the deep smelting halls. Over a thousand metal items were melted.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Img 4: Smelting and forging

Order was made for some golden thrones, and crafters began decorating our steel gear with our extra bone supply. Our dwarves will look spooky scary with bone decorations! The thrones were placed in the expanded tavern. As the dance floor was opened, dwarves and goblins immediately went to dance and sing in a small formation. Nice!

We may have lost some of our steel gear over time or maybe we didn’t make enough. I’ll make 15 more sets of armor. As before, I bought out the poor caravan with junk clothes, and gifted some gems for good measure.

Life stuff:

‘Otto_K’s family continues to grow, as ‘Furga’ gives birth to a new girl, little sister of ‘Maise_Now II’. Then a bit later, Iden ‘Self-defeating’ Whitestaff and Ingiz Zesstinthad got a son, too!

Img 5: The fort's children

Img 6: The strategist and the naturalist

Looks like ‘Sander’ the Naturalist has reported on herself for trying to steal Vucar Ilril (amulet). She’s also stepped up her scholarly duties, though, becoming a master. She’s accepted the apprenticeship of ‘Maloy II’.

Later, Sathra Punchtrade tried to steal Mothersounds (ring). The minotaur Sluste Uthretsetoc has come! Oh, it was cage-trapped. I was looking forward to a battle… There was no siege during the rest of the year. Have our enemies died out or given up? Melbil Uristzursùl, the poet who was reported to be killed by a bridge, haunted the fort in mid-autumn and was slabbed to rest.

Now then...

It’s time. We shall not wait for the fire from the below to come for us. We must go to it! Let’s dig deep and greedy, dwarves!

After identifying the top of the unnatural gemstone pillar, molten lava was pumped out of the topmost pockets, melting the microcline boulders littering the dig site into white-hot stone soup. When the lava had cooled, digging was continued...

Img 7: Digging for some treasures of the gods

« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 07:57:12 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 17, 2024, 11:49:43 am »

There's something hilarious by a dual overseership of two Ottos who also hate each other

I like that our names we pass on have essentially just become titles(that usually foretell doom), but also citizens wouldn't overreact from meeting another counterpart with the same name

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 18, 2024, 12:15:48 pm »

Is the minotaur holding any artifacts?

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 18, 2024, 02:03:41 pm »

Is the minotaur holding any artifacts?
Sadly no  :'(

Img 1: Water room. My new design made it fill up too slow. Later i made it a bit smaller again

Earthenjungles: Spring 172

An elven ambush springs from the woods at the start of spring! No dwarves leap down from the battlements, as this time, the roof has been fully secured and closed. The elves are herded into the drowning room, and the waterwheel-powered mechanism turned on. The squaddwarves come to protect the livestock from elves who cleared both the water room and the weapon traps. The rest of the elves are stuck in the rising water.

What now? ‘FunnyPan’ goes to fill his waterskin in the drowning room. He's dead, isn't he? Thankfully not, as he didn’t see the elven warriors swimming for their lives behind the corner, and he calmly returns to his post.

Img 2: 'FunnyPan' thirsty

Img 3: 'Maloy II' on warpath

Img 4:'Maloy II' triumphant

The squad is out in the rain, complaining about “gruesome injuries” even though they’re completely healthy. How fleeting is life? Somehow, ‘Maloy II’ is on the roof, fighting a whole squad of elves alone, dodging arrows. Killing them all, he chases another elf across the rooftops. Now he’s on the iron roof of the drown room entrance, killing bobcats that climb up from the water. He’s untouchable, dodging every attack.

It was my mistake, the water room was operating WAY ABOVE its capacity due to my reckless expansions, and I also activated it too late, thus many elves avoided the water. Still, there was no injury, thanks to ‘Maloy’. Meanwhile, ‘Tonnot98’ Ringtools - the Withered Dawn, they call her - is conducting SCIENCE. Pivotal discoveries for our fort, surely. Also, there seems to have been an accident of loyalty, since during their studies in the library, the dwarf warriors attacked a visiting dancer.

Img 5: Uh... Science!

Our endless lust for cloth has left us lacking in wheat and plump helmets. With 400 drinks left, there’s still time to fix this. I’m sending several citizens to live in Godshells for a while – lonely unhappy dwarves who don’t have skills we need. To reduce stress and need for drinks here.

Meanwhile, something evil emerges from underground! A huge winged ash blob, safely hidden away by the fortification. We weren’t discouraged by this abomination, and dug more of the obsidian. We’ve found something, not of this world. Paper of Pages, the searing metal bracelet!

Img 6: Divine treasure!

There's calm in the land, and digging and forging continues below. The new steel armor sets start to be ready. I start expanding the marble excavation to restock on steel bars: I'm pleased to see that the marble deposit is huge, stretching across the whole embark. I build a small tavern above the metalsmith guild, to service the blacksmiths and the digging and smelting crews. It's turned out to be quite popular: so much that the booze stockpile needs frequent refilling.

‘Green Machine’ is carrying away ‘Nourishguises the Shameful Reticence’, the smoky quartz. Pestrat Nepeodi, a human necromancer and his partner in crime, is there to grab the item. I order his death – and to my surprise, the thief himself is in one of the squads I mobilized. ‘Green Machine’ has chosen his side, and beats the necromancer to death in the damp sewer, as the artefact lies in a wet pile of elven clothes. No bodies were nearby to reanimate, unlucky for him.

Later in the spring, the damn rock was stolen anyway by somebody else.

Img 7: Visitors at the tavern

Img 8: Goblin thief vs necromancer thief

« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 04:14:00 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 18, 2024, 03:19:31 pm »

Excellent work! Really enjoying your updates.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 19, 2024, 04:06:42 pm »

agreed, these are great writeups.

There's calm in the land, and digging and forging continues below. The new steel armor sets start to be ready. I start expanding the marble excavation to restock on steel bars: I'm pleased to see that the marble deposit is huge, stretching across the whole embark.

nicely done. we are richh

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2024, 05:44:24 am »

Epic expansion work!

Tonnot continues to cement herself as one of the most significant dwarves in our kingdom's history.

Also proud of my namesake for soloing those elves

If anyone decides to start conquering you can use Maloy II's squad to Pillage and kill enemy leaders
Then any squad of random dwarves can conquer that site after since it won't have a leader
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 06:46:52 am by Maloy »

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2024, 02:15:48 pm »

Image 1: The life of Salmeuk, the youth

Earthenjungles: Autumn 172

Image 3: Salmeuk, the child

goo goo ga ga - time to rule the world! or what's left of it after 18 years.

I remembered this message, and I was shocked to notice how many ingame years have passed. ‘Salmeuk’ is now 16 years old! He’s totally pissed off, and spends his time playing with a toy axe and crying at the mayor. At least I'm relieved to say that he doesn't seem to have violent tendencies.

Apart from him, the moods here have improved a lot over time! The other really upset dwarf is hammer-lord 'Mayim' Bodicelobsters. I watch her for a while and see that her mood jumps up one step after taking pleasure in a sparring session.

Here comes the holy slave of the Doctrine of Mightiness, Dastot Athelrilbet. I noticed something interesting, his daughter is the ‘Vampire Progenitor’. We also know from the other timeline that he’s a thief. Oh, he also has a husband? This guy is certainly an interesting character

Image 2: Tavern and the holy man

Building the roofs has made me realize how many of our dwarves are cave-adapted to hell and back. So much vomit… Maybe we needed a roofless tavern or something, but then they would rage about being caught in the rain.

I had removed all the garbage dumps scattered across the map, leaving only one, the second floor garbage collector. However I placed the garbage dump zone wrong. When I fixed it, a huge congregation of dwarves rushed in to carry out a few months backlog of dumping jobs. The tavern was finally finished and I think it looks great!

Image 3: End of UDIL SODKIB

In my great stupidity, I lost ‘UDIL SODKIB’, wife of ‘Kesperan’ Steelcrown, to lava in the underground gemstone spire. I had trapped a bunch of lava behind a door. I forgot to lock the door. ‘UDIL SODKIB’ barged right through it, releasing the lava and cooking her. I should’ve locked the door! I’ve lost us a good warrior and also made ‘Kesperan’ into a single father. I’m so sorry. Even her !!x corpse x!! was soon lost in flames...

I would have reloaded, but the last save was several months ago so it wasn't really possible

Image 4: Son of Kesperan

Image 5: We're part of the realm!

The elf Tira Ecafeecefe came with good news: our capital, Gateheaven, has granted us landholding rights. We must now pick a baron! Kubuk Ledast, ‘TheFlame II’ is elected to be the baroness… of Godshells? What? I thought she would be the baroness of Earthenjungles? Weird, but she’s very satisfied to have entered the nobility, at least.

I sold broken clothes and many of the wooden elf gear pieces lying around, once again buying out the small caravan. Maybe Gateheaven can send wagons our way with some better stuff? The fortified surface keep will soon be ready, as well. Hopefully some real treasures can be found underground before the end. My turn will be done in a couple of months, I think, as year 173 approaches.

Image 6:  'The_Flame II', baroness

We also caught a were-fox, in the tavern door cage-trap. Cool werecreature sprite!

Image 7: Were fox

Succession fort runs!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 20, 2024, 03:26:41 pm »

Oh no, my wife got turned into magma mist! Lol!

I see the mayors quarters still have a pile of ballista parts on display.

Guess we need a baronial palace for The_Flame!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 20, 2024, 04:10:09 pm »

yooo never seen a werefox! also weird baroness shenanigans. I wonder where Godshells is?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 20, 2024, 04:11:57 pm »

I guess I'm nobility now! What kind of stuff does my dwarf like?

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 23, 2024, 04:46:57 am »

Image 1: The keep from above

Image 2: The keep, second floor interior

Earthenjungles: Spring 173

The end of 172 was peaceful… because I managed to misplace two full-scale elven ambushes. I had set up some construction orders incorrectly, so I wanted to reload the save. Then after reloading, the ambush never showed up! I’ll have to be careful in the future not to do that. I didn’t know sieges were random events like that. It’s supposed to be a deterministic game but sometimes it’s just random I guess?

The battlements are complete. The fort of Earthenjungles stands tall above the tortured landscape. We’ve cut down the trees, drained the river countless times, and built a huge shack of wood and iron on top of it. All for the glory of Lorbam Egul!

Image 3: Palace of Baroness 'The_Flame II'

The metal bars have finally been hauled from the smelters after a lot of fastdwarf. Making a bin stockpile helped, I think. And putting another bar stockpile right next to the forges. I also used fastdwarf while constructing the new and beautiful baroness apartment. May she rule for a long time! Two artefact pieces of furniture were granted to her care – a weapon rack and an armor stand.

The weapon rack has special significance since ‘Socrates’ built it right before dying peacefully to old age.

I went down to the gemstone spire to do some more digging with the Diamond Boards, ‘Kesperan’s team, standing guard. A Spirit of Cinders – a winged ash blob – was punted to death with a single strike by ‘Pawn’. Then Dema Visiongleam the miner released the devil of snow – a huge armadillo. Being made of snow, it was easily cut in half.

Many pockets of lava and water were found, going down seven levels. Even then, no sightings of the blue god-metal. I give up. Maybe we could melt some of the holy treasures I found – and make a divine metal sword or something, that would be cool.

Image 4: The cop and the mafia boss

We’ve continued to be the target of thefts and espionage. At the end of my turn, the legendary steel spear, The Savagery-Hermit of Healing, was reported to be missing from the metalsmith hall. It was gone, without a trace. Earlier, we had interrogated various criminals who didn’t even bother to hide their true colors. One of them even corrupted our captain of guard, 'Odo' Roomlove, in the very moment of being interrogated by him! The captain still locked him up, since the fool had boasted about it and it had to be written in record. An embarrassing situation for the captain…

Image 5: Elves reach new low - attack dog

The elves finally come at the start of 173. They all head to the drowning pit, watched by the guard dog. Except – damn it, some of them climb the walls to kill the dog! Rimtar Oiledblizzard, the dwarf trader necromancer known to many as the Scarce Axe of Dyes, is there, watching the siege unfold. He neither helps or fights against the elves.

A couple of them leap down and start attacking the horses, but the military squads intercept them. One squad secures the ground, another the battlements. The drown room failed me yet again: a grand total of 4 elves were drowned. But the weapon traps and the squads stopped many, and the rest ran away. These aren’t huge ambushes. I wonder if the elves ran out of giant animals and flying mounts already?

Image 6: Dwarves defend the wall

Image 7: Forgotten beasts battlefield

For a while, Slevina Witchmurk the fire-breathing forgotten beast reigned surpreme in the caverns, but then came Oda Obi Ili - the Shadow of Perplexing, a hairy lizard.

Anyways. It’s time. At long last, Omba shall die.

Nish 'Otto_K' Lancerbridged greeted his squad with the devious grin of a man who's ready to die.

"Well then, I suppose there's naught left but to go kill a god.
To me, my Wrathblades!"

Image 8: Omba must fall!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2024, 09:19:38 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 23, 2024, 07:01:56 pm »

Aaah my lovely steel spear!

Can we send a party out to reclaim it?

Love the cliffhanger… will Omba or Otto be triumphant?

Have you changed how the drowning chamber operates?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27