Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should the next fortress be?

Embark upon the cavern layer! Survive the depths!
- 3 (60%)
Reclaim our destroyed capital after filling it with divine weapons and armor! March with the fury of heaven!
- 2 (40%)
Other(post a comment with idea)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Longnight the Umbral Souls: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 27989 times)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #300 on: July 12, 2024, 03:09:28 pm »

Magma area looks great! I voted No, so we're now at 1 Yes, 3 No. So Maise should play kesperan's save then?

If you want to butcher some animals for the fps, looks like 30 geese, 30 llamas and 30 horses can easily be butchered

Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 12, 2024, 03:20:26 pm »

Excellent! Plus, we now have a source we can draw magma from to unleash against elves if we want. FUCK THE WORLD!

Ah, we would need quite the pump stack for that, since the magma cistern is one Z-level above the magma sea, but I like your idea :D
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels task: interrupted by werebison
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2024, 04:28:15 pm »

Alright, majority rule has it! I'll play off kesperan's save, in the alternate timeline where we didn't all die horrific fiery deaths in melting metal armor. Next post will hopefully be an in-game update and not me troubleshooting the save file.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2024, 04:59:01 pm »

Alright, majority rule has it! I'll play off kesperan's save, in the alternate timeline where we didn't all die horrific fiery deaths in melting metal armor. Next post will hopefully be an in-game update and not me troubleshooting the save file.

While you're at it, can you make sure everyone gets dorfed?

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 12, 2024, 10:06:35 pm »

Sure! Is there a list of people who want to be dorfed right now? I actually re-dorfed myself as a randomly-selected female dwarf, which accidentally means I'm a child. Oops. My former dorf is currently "Mr. Maise_Now II" but I want to re-dorf him as someone else. So that request works out perfectly IMO.

(Side note: this is turning out to be one hell of a blursed year for my first ever succession turn. I've been playing for six hours and it's only been 2 months in-game! I do pause a lot to take screencaps and notes when doing a write-up, but this is extreme. That's how much nonsense has been happening.)

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 12, 2024, 10:24:49 pm »

Wow. Sounds "Fun". But no, anyone will do for me, at least.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2024, 04:05:31 am »

I think The_Flame needs re-dwarfed too.

I like to add my favorite fictional dwarves as characters lol. The legendary Bruenor lived up to his name!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2024, 08:45:25 am »

I’m currently dorfed as Kesp The Hammer Ran, militia dwarf and legendary woodcrafter.

If possible, I’d like to be dorfed as my adventure mode guy Tirist Steelcrown please.

Good luck with the save. I hope the new forge halls have reduced fire imp related immolations.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 13, 2024, 10:02:54 am »

Wow. Sounds "Fun". But no, anyone will do for me, at least.

Mr. Maise has now been transformed into LeftHandOfGod I! Congratulations.

I think The_Flame needs re-dwarfed too.

I like to add my favorite fictional dwarves as characters lol. The legendary Bruenor lived up to his name!

I'll add The_Flame II today, good to know.

I’m currently dorfed as Kesp The Hammer Ran, militia dwarf and legendary woodcrafter.

If possible, I’d like to be dorfed as my adventure mode guy Tirist Steelcrown please.

Good luck with the save. I hope the new forge halls have reduced fire imp related immolations.

I'll be sure to do that.

The forge halls have definitely changed the timeline. But, so much is happening and there's so many armok-damned creatures to keep track of, that my game crashed right when I was about to raid and take over a small human settlement. Based on my notes, it looks like I lost about half of my playtime, since the world crashed right at the end of Hematite and my save was right at the start of Hematite. Dangit.

Can't wait to see how the timeline changes yet again today! I'll post my first round of updates once I make it through the month of Hematite.

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2024, 01:05:10 pm »

Year 171, Late Spring to Mid-Summer

Having to redo half of my summer really ruined my momentum...forgive me for not writing in character. I usually love doing that but I'm annoyed at this save right now so I wouldn't give it the right voicing. This was surprisingly difficult, and considering how many thefts and nonsense I was dealing with, I'm satisfied with my progress, minimal though it was. Feel free to undo the work orders I placed, etc.

Save file: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17145

First thing: changed my dorf to a randomly-selected female dorf….who happens to be a child. Oops. Well, at least I’m not accidentally choosing an OP person for it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adding ore storage directly above block storage. ...Why is this pile of coke here? Adding option for coke storage to the ore storage. Just getting my bearings.

Why is there a random dead duck in the temple to Zas? RIP

Set tons of geese, horses, and llamas to be slaughtered
Made sure 3 mating pairs were left of each, as well as all the current juveniles, left some extra llamas alive but gelded to allow for wool production without llamasplosion

Enabled dwarf-vet on DFHack, because we had random injured war tigers and I’m a sucker.

New Vegas reported that The Acolyte saw Inod Silverworlds stealing an artifact! Immediately scheduled an interview with the dwarf in question.
While waiting for the captain to interrogate him, a visiting goblin beast hunter stole it from the dwarf that stole it! Everyone in the tavern saw him steal it, but it’s just being reported as “saw him admire it”. Added him to the interrogation schedule.

Captain of the guard, despite being one of two furious dwarves (other is child Salmeuk) managed to get to the goblin Otir just before he exited the fort. Phew.

Otir has many assumed identities, and has tried (and failed) to steal things before. He corrupted Inod to steal for him. So, naturally, I convicted Otir, who’s really Olngö Wirescourge, of all of his crimes.

Captain had to set down a glove in a bin before doling out punishment to Olngö. Olngö nearly escaped the fort, but he got caught just in time.
Captain bruised his limbs, but mangled his heart with a punch to the chest. For some reason, he wandered back into the fort at this point, so I had the front gate lever pulled.

Nobody is scheduled to imprison him for his crimes for some reason. Tried setting a dungeon master as a random fish cleaner, started digging out dungeon master’s quarters next to the guard captain’s quarters. Still have the gate closed, so he’s just wandering around and healing. Stupid “mighty” goblin. Despite it all he hasn’t let go of the amulet he stole.

He snuck out through a side exit! Chalking this up to my inexperience with the justice system. We’ll get it back though.

Wait, he didn’t leave the map. He’s crawling back around the building, trying to leave through the far side of the map
Also why is he crawling? All his wounds healed but he’s still labeled as being “seriously injured”. Weird.

It is the 26th of Felsite. It has not even been 2 weeks since I inherited the save.
As is too pissed off to do anything. Changed the captain of the guard to the next best person on the list, and instantly As got assigned to finally cage the goblin. He couldn’t cage him as a captain, but as a beekeeper he could.
FINALLY RETRIEVED IT FROM THE GOBLIN MENACE. Only took 3 weeks. Good lord.

Decided to fix the pathing issue with the hatch down from the barracks. People keep getting stuck due to having to open the hatch in order to use it. Building a second one next to it.

Turned down a performance troupe that asked to live here. We have enough non-dwarves living here for the moment thank you very much. At least until we get things a little more balanced around here. Right now it feels…precarious, somehow.
Temporarily turned off training because too many military dwarves had injuries from sparring practice and/or unmet needs. Will turn it back on next month or so once they’ve gotten to pray to their gods and stuff.

My brilliant two-ramp solution has already tripped two people. Going to try stairs.

[This section is from the lost timeline where my game crashed. I am keeping it for posterity.]
NOT AGAIN
Another dwarf was tricked by a goblin. Remind me again why we let goblins into the fort?

Went to put it on display, says “job item lost”. Um, excuse me?
The goblin she was working for has left the map. The item is no longer here. It was finally lost. It is 15 Hematite.
Stairs didn’t work. This second-floor butchery/barracks is a death trap.I forgot I have to place DOWN stairs as well. I so rarely retroactively build stairs lol
MIGRANTS. This fort is blursed. 18 Hematite.

22 Hematite - new forgotten beast appeared. A one-eyed tarantula with an elephant trunk. Thanks, Tarn. I hate it. I hate that this is even an OPTION oh my god. I’m not easily creeped out by things in this game but somehow this is the thing that did it.

Luckily, it spawned right next to the dragon-gopher FB with fire breath, and got killed almost instantly.

Another artifact was stolen, this time by a Cook. When interrogated, he implicated a goblin that isn’t here. I foolishly decided to convict him for his crime of stealing the ring, even though it was under instruction of goblins.
One of the dwarves on the captain’s wrestling squad beat him severely. He died in hospital.
My 3 year old dwarf self discovered him dead. Great. I’m gonna be battle hardened before I’m even able to fight.

Almost as soon as he was interred, the big artifact gem got stolen by a human! He almost escaped the map, but the captain got him first.

Still not sure what happened to the amulet from before–map says we still have it, but the Objects menu shows it’s gone.

Examined the map……there’s another dwarven civ nearby?!

Sent The Lucid Stones to establish contact (demand tribute, since we can’t do any peaceful things). They will now give us winter tributes.
Sent The Diamond Boards to seize a small human settlement very close by, Habitoutrage. Made sure none of them were named dwarves first.
Game crashed. Last saved at start of summer. Means I lost everything in Hematite.

Reload - Hematite 1

The_Flame, LeftHandOfGod, and Kesp all need to be (re)dwarfed.
Hand is gonna be the dwarf formerly known as Mr. Maise, Kesp wants to be Tirist Steelcrown, his adventure mode dwarf.
The_Flame doesn’t care or hasn’t spoken up so they’re now the Furnace Operator because of their username.

Save goes all the way back to before the goblin beast hunter was caged. Oof.
Recaptured him, on his way to the cells again. Gonna set planters to be a set of ten farmers, because having a third of the fort planting seeds all the time is driving me insane.

Naturalist stole the amulet again, tried to give it to her goblin contact but got caught before handing it off this time. Gobbo also got caught due to some narratively convenient timing.

Interestingly, the first gobbo is the one she implicates in several OTHER crimes too. Enjoy sharing a cage next to him when he knows you ratted him out!
Convicted Olngö of his other crimes, convicted this gob of her own crimes, also decided to interrogate her about a long-standing open case.
Checked through cold cases, found both of these gobs at the center of several of them as the implicated parties.

Aaaand she didn’t get to pay for her crimes with a few years in jail. At least she can’t corrupt anyone else now. The new convictions doubled Olngo's time in jail.

Tried to atom smash some corpses and trash since nobody’s hauling them. Somehow, smashing the goblin corpse meant smashing the artifact? Even though the artifact was back on display in the temple?

Luckily the artist was just shocked and not devastated about the loss of their artwork. I’m not re-doing this week for a third time.
Forgotten beast arrived, a hairy snail with deadly dust.

I don't think this game knows what snails look like.

Dust apparently is “frozen” extract, and causes swelling on contact.

It's also a massive wimp.

Not like it matters much, since it got squashed by the gopher. I think if it had lived just a little longer, it could have given the gopher a hemorrhage and we’d be down two FBs in one battle. Oh well.

Erush is now a full citizen of the fort, despite her being corrupted by the goblins.

Migrants have arrived amidst the forgotten beast nonsense.

Currently setting up a paper supply chain, to allow for easy reclamation of rope reed seeds, and also quires. Because why not.

There’s a Kea stuck at the top right of the map for some reason.

Things for the next person to figure out:
  • Why are we dumping metal bars and seeds into the garbage atomizer, but corpses stay until they rot?
  • Finish up the bedrooms to the left of the existing bedroom set. These are slightly smaller and meant for the non-dwarf citizens in my mind.
  • It’s mid-summer. We’re due for some kind of nonsense from humans or elves this month. Be prepared. Also haven’t had a strange mood in a while.

It is mid-summer, year 171. There is a nonstop quest to steal artifacts from under our noses, and the two goblins we've captured seem to only be middlemen (middlegobs?) in the crime. A lot of dwarves are neutral, and several are quite unhappy.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2024, 01:42:33 pm »

Haha brilliant.

The pile of random coke is from when I deconstructed the old wood burning smelters when I built the magma forges.

It looks like Slevina the demon-gopher is still King of the Cavern! If only we could weaponise him somehow…

The dwarf civ to the east of the mountain range are called the Ilatir, The Wordy Dye. That’s where Tirist Steelcrown came from.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2024, 01:51:34 pm »

hey, thanks for the writeup. I feel your annoyance at the save hehe. replaying or retconning kills my creativity too but I think it was for the best since, well, this way there is a solid continuity between the turns.

While waiting for the captain to interrogate him, a visiting goblin beast hunter stole it from the dwarf that stole it! Everyone in the tavern saw him steal it, but it’s just being reported as “saw him admire it”. Added him to the interrogation schedule.

Ah, the plot thickens. Passing along stolen goods, surely a dwarven felony

perhaps we should start locking up the artifacts?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 13, 2024, 03:00:09 pm »

Furnace operator is fine.

I like to keep at least one case open, so that I can interrogate every visitor. That way I can catch criminals before they commit a crime.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 13, 2024, 05:54:01 pm »

If you guys want to say this never happened. Maybe it could go like this

1 You fix forges, post save
2 MaiseNow plays
3 I play a turn after MaiseNow

I would hate to have to wait a long while to play a turn because some bad stuff happen on my turn. I'll try to wrap up today and post save, then we can decide if we continue with my save or Kesperan's save

Sooo i can play a quick turn now when my turn would normally have been, yes? I loaded the save... I'll basically just do again the stuff that i was gonna do in the cursed timeline (not the all dying part) so this shouldn't take too long

Edit:
I'm playing. I did the new trash chute and the second floor expansion, the same as first time. Vucar Dipcity is 'Bruenor II' again, and may she not die immediately. There's so much metal hauling and cloth spinning and stuff going on, but i'm happy that the butchering stuff already got done
« Last Edit: July 14, 2024, 03:25:38 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 14, 2024, 06:01:59 pm »

sounds good.. I'm a bit confused on the timelines. I'll just pretend it was all a bad dream
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27