Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should the next fortress be?

Embark upon the cavern layer! Survive the depths!
- 3 (60%)
Reclaim our destroyed capital after filling it with divine weapons and armor! March with the fury of heaven!
- 2 (40%)
Other(post a comment with idea)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27

Author Topic: Longnight the Umbral Souls: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 27980 times)

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels task: interrupted by werebison
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #270 on: July 08, 2024, 07:38:19 am »

Oh snap, it's my turn! If I'd seen this I would have played this weekend rather than dealing with my personal fort chaos (we got a queen in the FIRST SPRING of my fort so I was very unprepared).

I'll try to find time this week for this fort, but it may not be until the weekend.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 08, 2024, 07:53:35 am »

(I can play right now if you would rather to play on weekends, as i'm apparently next on list)
Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 08, 2024, 09:27:48 am »

(I can play right now if you would rather to play on weekends, as i'm apparently next on list)

As long as Maloy is good with that, then I'm fine with us swapping places.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 08, 2024, 11:00:26 am »

Absolutely fine!
Was thinking something similar!
Delays are a bummer

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 08, 2024, 01:49:32 pm »

I've got the save! One question: could i get an explanation of what the different squads are? What are the best squads called, and who are filler squads to take sites

My god so much lag, so many tame animals. I'll start with some cleanup
Succession fort runs!

A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 08, 2024, 02:00:26 pm »

The Lucid Stones and Brass Perfections were the only ones I'd actually use. Can't speak for any created by Kesperan.

Maloy II should be the only legendary leader, but if there is anyone else then they also are a good choice for invasion leaders

I don't remember Lucid's specialty. I think its picks
Brass Perfection were warhammers
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 02:14:59 pm by Maloy »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2024, 06:58:52 pm »

I only made one squad for my adventure mode dwarf Tirist Steelcrown. I didn't do anything with the others.

But yeah, we have a metric fuckton of horses and llamas.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2024, 07:39:52 pm »

I've got the save! One question: could i get an explanation of what the different squads are? What are the best squads called, and who are filler squads to take sites

My god so much lag, so many tame animals. I'll start with some cleanup

Put that butcher's shop to work! And make us some soap, while you're at it!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 09, 2024, 09:17:10 am »

Part of a timeline that never happened:

Meat and Thread
Earthenjungles: Spring 171
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heists and Punishments
Earthenjungles: Summer 171
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 03:30:23 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 09, 2024, 06:24:15 pm »

Oh great Urist, that's quite a predicament you've found our dorfs in!

I'm gonna be honest though, I laughed out loud at the poor dwarf that broke his neck on a ramp, as well as the unexpected quantum workshop pile of pig tail threads. A+ comedic pacing with that.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 09, 2024, 07:56:10 pm »

I remember ‘Bruenor’ the protector of Gateheaven, and so his name will now live on with Vucar ‘Bruenor II’ Dipcity, the Mortified.

I, too, remember 'Bruenor' and have great respect for this name. Huzzah!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 10, 2024, 08:08:10 am »

I don't remember deleting any work orders, so I apologise for that.

I got rid of pages and pages of body parts and random crap and saw we had tons of wool, so set that to be spun indefinitely.

I thought I had turned fastdwarf off - I only used to to speed up hauling all the trash.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your turn!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 10, 2024, 05:25:43 pm »

Img 1: 'Maise_now II' vs fire imp Udeshthan

PART OF A TIMELINE THAT NEVER HAPPENED:

Fire and Shadow
Earthenjungles, the !!Forests of Burning!!
Fall and winter of 171

How many must die? That’s the question. Well, turns out, everybody’s dead. EVERYBODY. IS. DEAD.

Alright, not everybody. But so many dwarves lost, and the details are pretty upsetting.

In 22 Malachite, the midsummer heat was mixed with smoke from below. As the wary dwarves delved down to investigate, ‘Odo’ Roomlove was fighting for his life with Udeshthan, the fire imp. He seeks to withdraw, declaring he’s not annoyed by the smoke. Then he’s caught in a cloud of flames. Not soon after, he’s a smoldering corpse.

Udeshthan climbs the staircase, spider monkey children fleeing before it. It amuses itself by killing some of them. Meanwhile, deep below it, ‘Maise_Now II’ is socializing alone (?) in the metalsmith guild. “I’m doing alright”, he says.

Finally the fire imp finds him. He blocks the fireballs effortlessly, and the two dance up and down the stairwell, dodging blows. Eventually ‘MaiseNow II’ outpaces the creature and lands several hammer hits, until Udeshthan is no more.

Img 2: Chaos at the forges

The peace at the forges proved very short lived. The second fire imp, Kebuloten – Sparklerusset, climbs up from the smelter pipes. Several forge workers make a run for it, but they get barbequed, including Athel Rubalnish, dwarven child, son of 'Pawn' and  Reg 'Xxeldestxx'. The two main squads are ordered in, but as they take their positions, the imp hurls great blasts of fire at them.

‘Maloy II’ charges in, already seeing a comrade’s body combusting into ash in a burst of light in front of him. He curses and charges forward, but before he can make it, he’s caught in a burst of flame. The air around him is in flames, and he goes down, everything going black.

‘Brows’ and ‘New Vegas’ get hit by firebolts from below before even laying eyes on their target. ‘DoctorDreaded’ and ‘FunnyPan’ get caught in the crossfire and succumb to the flames. The room is in chaos, flame and burning flesh everywhere.

‘Bruenor II’ and ‘Tonnot98’ stand back to back, surveying the smoky room. The devil could come up from any of the shafts. “There it is!” ‘Bruenor II’ charges the imp, but before she closes the distance, she sees ‘Tonnot98’ exploding into ash and smoke. Then the flame consumes her, as well.

Then, there’s silence, and the imp withdraws into the depths, having decimated the fort’s military.

But it's not over, yet.

Img 3: The death toll

Even as the fires are fizzling out, the elven ambush lying in cover reveals itself and charges at the merchant gate. I station every squad at the weapons stockpile.

Do they go to the weapons stockpile?

No. They vault over the second floor battlements, leaping unarmed at the enemy from above. Of all the foolish, moronic… Okay, let’s focus, and fight. Everybody, go! Kill the elves! For the glory of Earthenjungles… or what’s left of it!

Img 4: Dwarven kamikaze jumpers

‘Samurai Jack’ the elf immediately takes a spear in his head, and he’s dead in seconds. Rith Godenthedak the axe lord is lost. Olon the militia captain takes a serious beating and is almost unrecognizable.

The dwarves descend on the elves like angry, short gods. ‘Otto_K II’ joins the fray, having ignored most of his armor, but slashing around with his trusted steel short sword. Militia captain Tirist ‘Kesperan’ Steelcrown is beating down elves in a frenzy, having merely wrapped his fist in a pair of cotton pants. Even as he recovers from his martial trance, he punches a war jaguar’s face in.

But then his chest is pierced by an arrow, and he stumbles and comes crashing down. On his way, he hits ‘Otto_K II’ who also falls down, losing his bearings. ‘Otto_K II’ crawls helplessly, hoping an arrow doesn’t hit him while he’s down. As he stumbles back up, the battle is over. He looks around, seeing 'Kesperan' still alive.

Tun ‘Russiaaa’ is swiping blood from her masterwork steel sword. She had also been attacking with her crutch. “Good hunting, eh?” she grins. “I improved my shield, that was satisfying!” At that, ‘Otto_K II’ can only shake his head and walks off. He sees ‘JimbusKhan’ arriving, helplessly late to the party.

Img 5: New corpse dump

As the fires still burned, a thief scurried upstairs, having grabbed 'Nourishguises the Shameful Reticence'. The perfect smoky quartz. Truly a worthless artefact. You know what, my guy. You can have it, for free. It’s on the house.

I had built some new walls on the second floor and put a new trash compactor there (I had removed my old trash chute design). It was put to good use to get rid of the elves’ remains. I blocked some unnecessarily confusing stairwells, trying to shore up a less hellish design for our wooden main keep.

I sold our junk clothes to the Standard of Control, they came with outpost liaison Tira Ecafeecefe, an elf who was accepted into Gateheaven. They had little to offer and I bought out the caravan with junk alone.

The old magma smelting area is walled off, even as ‘FunnyPan’s and Vabok Bomreksolon’s bodies rot where they fell, and lots of steel bars still sitting in the smelters. New magma forges were made right next door, with magma intakes protected by vertical steel bars. Inauguration involved breaching the magma sea’s wall, and ‘Mouseshy’ Brasswhispers was sadly outpaced by the flowing magma.

'Socrates' had an artefact mood during the chaos. Something must have interrupted his quest, as he went mad, wasting away.

Img 6: 'Kesp the Hammer's ACCIDENT

There seems to have been an accident involving ‘Kesp the Hammer Ran’, a cheesemaker and ‘thegraywolf’. If I understand the logs, ‘thegraywolf’ stumbled down the same stupid ramp in the main keep. His belongings, including a backpack, its food contents, and his steel sword, all flew in the air, hitting dwarves. ‘Kesp’ is badly wounded, as the sword slammed into his head.

He’s dead. ‘Kesp the Hammer Ran’ passed away in the hospital.

The ramp was taken out of use and replaced with a more spacious 4-ramp allowing more comfortable movement in all directions.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 04:11:54 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 10, 2024, 05:31:42 pm »

I don't remember deleting any work orders, so I apologise for that.

I got rid of pages and pages of body parts and random crap and saw we had tons of wool, so set that to be spun indefinitely.

I thought I had turned fastdwarf off - I only used to to speed up hauling all the trash.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your turn!

Curious. Fastdwarf with teleport was definitely still on. But even then, i surely have the right save? All the details match whats in your story.

Anyways. Speaking of all the accidents that happened on my turn. I accidentally nicknamed your adventurer without asking! I didnt realize it was him! How did he get here from Gateheaven?

Succession fort runs!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 10, 2024, 06:34:46 pm »

I retired Tirist at Gateheaven after strangling that olm man.

He must have migrated during a random migrant wave.

If he’s still alive you can nickname him Kesp.

I’m not sure how the imps got in. There are no exposed magma squares. I built the smelters and forges over only one exposed tile. I’ve never had problems like that before.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 27