Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 6 (85.7%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 18606 times)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2024, 12:52:53 pm »

I'm all for moving forts once we get some conquering done! I can guarantee as things stand now that if we retire this fort it'll be conquered in one or two years lol.

Thats interesting! How do you know when a fort would fall in legends / map screen? I'm very unfamiliar with how map screen combat actually works

Anyways

Final thoughts on my turn:

1.   There’s food to last a full year, but more is always needed. There's tons of drink ingredients, but no solid foods. When you get solid foodstuffs, I recommend cooking with LOTS OF alcohol. Allow wine / beer types for cooking in menu

2.   Moods are good but there's lots of stress, more tantrum / loyalty spirals could still happen.

3.   I think the dwarves should NOT fight in the pillar room’s top section. Falling down is very risky. Now there should at least be less foot injuries, as dwarves are now wearing steel boots. Also weapon XP will be good
See:
I got rid of the ‘Pickaxe Squad’ thing so they’ll actually get weapon skills, they got weapon of choice now. Also told them to wear armor without clothing, so they’ll wear their steel boots. Less cripples in the military that way.

OH, another thing! I dug out a room specifically for stationing the squads for pillar room combat, it's in the level below, and far to the right. Stationing is a bit clunky so i was playing safe there, so dwarves don't rush in too soon

4.   Elves are DANGEROUS! I had hardest time with them, other sieges were pretty easy to wipe out in the pillar room

5.   Note the egg room is still locked (i think), also dwarves cooked all the tallow so still no soap. We got tons of birds though and hopefully more will hatch
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 12:59:00 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2024, 07:46:34 pm »

3.   I think the dwarves should NOT fight in the pillar room’s top section. Falling down is very risky.

*sweats nervously*
 yeah who built that thing?? what a death trap

Elves are DANGEROUS! I had hardest time with them, other sieges were pretty easy to wipe out in the pillar room

is it the elephants and tigers ?..... i think it's probably the elephants and tigers..

Note the egg room

noted

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2024, 06:42:13 am »

I'm on! Made some new squads already and changed some scheduling up.

Told those union boys from the human lands we'd parley and had them wait outside. Who knows when the mayor will arrive to talk to them?

Either way in the mean time I sent some of the lads to go pillage the invasion force's hometown.

Oh also I was the one who put pickaxes in. Game mechanics wise they're the most overpowered weapon dwarves can get other than whips there's some research done on it
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/10utf2x/weapon_material_analysis_what_are_the_current/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 06:53:30 am by Maloy »

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2024, 08:14:04 am »

"They also use mining as their weapon skill, which can help with training. "

Ohhh so that's how it works! yea i didn't know that, or maybe i heard about it somewhere... But do we want to draft miners anyway
Idk, sorry if i messed your design

EDIT: Hmm how does the math add up, wouldn't it be better to just train and get bunch of axe lords going? Oh, i didn't notice we had this many legendary miners
Do they get miner skill when training / fighting?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 01:16:45 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2024, 11:57:47 am »

to be completely serious, I think the pickaxe squad was the only reason we were able to overcome the first and second elven sieges. 'Bruenor' was such a fucking badass... here, I posted the first siege fight if you want to see it at %300 speed.

red on red is the theme here

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2024, 02:33:30 pm »

Oh its absolutely fine! You did a really fantastic job on your turn! In fact, our comeback is why I am starting my turn with a lot of good news!

They level up their mining skill as they train, but they can simultaneously use it as a combat skill! It is an ideal weapon for peeling humans and goblins out of their armor!

As I previously mentioned since taking over the fortress I took on the name of my predecessor!

The humans offered us parley to avoid bloodshed. They're filthy liars, but we entertained their request and promised the mayor would be up shortly.

That was...two months ago? They're still camped out patiently waiting.

Meanwhile I led a new squad of warrior and we went to the human hamlet this army marched from and we pillaged it for food and drink!

Then I sent another new squad of five dwarves to take and hold it!

Our ancestors always sought to wait out sieges, but the humans and elves just wore our numbers down until we were all gone. My strategy is to take their homes from them and divide the enemy forces. To attack us they're gonna have to hit a bunch of targets!

Next I went after the elves nearby. We found exactly what we need to win this war...

Still got a mess to clean up despite the best efforts of my predecessors. We can hear sounds of titanic battles in the caverns, but we need what they got in there!
Drawing up plans and, gods willing, we'll have everyone who can walk in this fort training in the military.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 25, 2024, 02:45:36 pm »

Grizzlies! Two breeding pairs? Keep them underground away from the elves and we will soon have all the meat, soap and leather we need.

How is baby Kesperan? Is he safe??
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2024, 01:58:34 pm »

Sending an attack force against the goblin-humans of the Union right in front of their noses is an epic play. They'll have a nasty surprise when they return home, assuming you let them flee with their lives

I looked at the save to check something and i noticed somebody was still burning charcoal on loop (ran out of coal near the end), oops... if you didn't notice already, tell them to stop

One thing i wanted to share, here's the artefacts from my turn. Tonnot's artefact is the greatest item name i've seen in the game lol

Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2024, 03:34:46 pm »

I was getting a mid-week update ready and checking on the dwarves, but I'm having trouble finding a lot of them!  :o

Kesp and Salmeuk aren't findable. They're also not on our list of dead/missing either!

A LOT of developments to share, but will have to wait until I get some time to throw it up and find our missing dwarves lol.
Plus I figure getting stuff done in-game is probably a higher priority anyway

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2024, 03:56:05 pm »

That's what happened with me and Otto's dwarf. Just vanished after a seige with no announcement of them being found dead or going missing. It's very strange. I hope the baby can be found!

And on the subject of artifact names, you can't beat this beauty from the Museum III game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2024, 09:14:11 pm »

You know i thought my turn was busy, but turns out i had the caretaker turn.. and still lost the elephants
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2024, 05:56:16 pm »

Kesp and Salmeuk aren't findable. They're also not on our list of dead/missing either!

I went back to check my save again. 'Salmeuk' is still alive and well, no danger. But 'Kesperan'?

I went to the slab maker's shop to lookup his name. ENTOMBED? DAMN IT.

I found the tomb using the Zones menu. There's his little skeleton, covered in blood. Okay, make that slab, and make it fast. Zombie one-humped camel?

Next stop, Legends. This camel was reanimated in late summer, 156. These 'unknown forces' are definitely our deceased warrior of undeath, Dishmab Moziblogem. Screw this guy, I almost thought he could be our ally, before his own zombie killed him. But he killed our future. May his name be cursed in Inoddasel.

I have failed. Send 'OttoK' away as a Slayer to hunt our enemies until he doesn't come back, and his debt will be paid.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 05:58:51 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2024, 12:48:03 am »

Poor baby Kesperan. He was only one years old. He loved one-bumped camel leather and was slain by an undead one-humped camel. What cruel irony.

Formal request to be re-dorfed Maloy!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2024, 06:57:47 am »

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17044

My first act as overseer is to draft four more squads and set them to training. This more than doubles the size of our military although the new squads will need time to train.
I also set up a schedule so military dwarves have time to relax as some of our stressed ones seem to be the guys training and killing endlessly.

All this as the humans are camped outside our fort asking for "parley". We agreed to meet, but the mayor isn't going to go out. That's fine because I don't need him to.

We dwarves naturally turtle up inside our fortresses and the enemy whittles away at us one by one. I mean look outside at them!

They drop near 200 soldiers on us every few months like it is nothing. So, counter strategy for me: Time to do some conquering

I lead the Laborious Fists on pillaging missions. First to a human village nearby and then to an elven forest nearby.
We raid the elven forest several times over the course of one month.

Not only do we get the means needed to win this war

But also we capture so many additional animals to butcher that we solve our food crisis instantly.

While we finish our last pillaging I have a squad of 5 sent to conquer and occupy that human village.

Enraged at our "treachery" the human army seeking parley begins its invasion of us just as the last of the Laborious Fists get safely inside.

The meatgrinder begins...
Despite constant ballistae fire and many traps some enemies do actually make it through the grinder! Three goblins! They get through our door before I can have the military posted, but meet an old human miner on their way do to our fortress.

He slays each goblin with his pick! He is injured and unable to move in the doorway of the death maze. Seeing him unable to move the swordmaster Torag daringly charges past him and down the maze to meet the enemy. This is heroic, but also unnecessary as more than likely no one else would have made it.

Also despite being a Swordmaster Torag is in a bad spot as his sword could not pierce armor like that human miner's pick could.

Sad.

The siege breaks either from losing over half of their army or perhaps the fools convince themselves they won, because they killed one dwarf.

We open the gates, hunt the survivors, set everyone to work and so on! I tell the miners to begin work on our plans for retaking the caverns and install more weapon traps in the death maze.

I lead the Laborious Fists to take the human castle of Luteglen nearby. It is one of three castles in the entire human union and so therefore it is a juicy prize! When I return we will continue our plans to conquer and take pressure off of Gateheaven.

The only ones who escaped the battle were...

I, Connerad, militia captain of Gateheaven take temporary overseership while my counterpart is held in twisted human dungeons. I will do my best to follow what writings he left for us.

We are 7 dwarves down with that loss which is huge since they were all military. I send out one of the other new squads: The untamed theaters

They are to pillage the elves and raid their forest as much as they can. They get many in, but are forced back underground as the next siege begins:

Elves...

The woodland monsters begin heading to our death maze just in time for another human army from the union to arrive. It has only been one month since the last one was destroyed. We immediately deny their attempt to parley and the humans advance attacking the rear of the elves as the first of them enter the death maze.

It is a massacre and the humans deal with the elves for us.

While most of the human army advances to our maze others begin hunting across our map killing famous treasure hunters, poets, philosophers, etc. Human barbarians.

This siege lasts way longer as the humans seem to memorize where our traps are and often just jump across them requiring us to expend an insane amount of ballistae bolts.
The whole time we are anxious: Is it too late to save the Laborious Fists?

During this month we suffer hard losses as a fight in the tavern breaks out leading to several deaths. Including our mayor. Also the Ghost of the original Salmeuk rises to haunt us. Rager smashed the poor hero's coffin open before his own death.

Finally, the siege does break as a full month ends as humans get tired of being eviscerated.

The Puce Wheels led by, myself, Tonnot and other dwarves sneak off to Luteglen to try and find our friends. We successfully infiltrate, but find no one in its dungeons and no mass grave. I fear the worst.

We return having stolen the humans prized scholarly works for ourselves and I send the Untamed Theaters to take the castle back.

As it turns out one of the Laborious Fists own squad members: Muthkat turned traitor and sold them out. He said he does not know where they have been taken. We execute him alongside the commander of the castle.

The Laborious Fists spent a month leaderless hoping for the return of their comrades and we cannot afford to allow morale to lessen. I appoint a new leader. Replace the lost members including a human warrior who has taken the name "Kesperan" as well as a dwarf who took the name Salmeuk! Bring honor to your namesakes, friends!

These men are installed into our new cavern barracks

We aren't ready to open yet, but when we do this barracks will stop any horrors from the depths that wander into our tunnels. The squad trains and lives in the barracks for half a year before ascending the long staircase back to the fortress. I shall decide who the second squad to fill the space the other half of the year later.

I exile the vampire progenitor after branding the mark of the vampire upon her flesh. She is sent to Luteglen to be under guard. She kills two people before finally leaving the map: Monster.

Fall comes and we kill another human and elven army after installing new weapon traps. We have too many green recruits and so I only send out the military to clean it up once their numbers have dwindled. Many bears have been born here and within a few years we should have a large enough force of them to take almost any enemy fortress!

Winter comes and we are just trying to rest. Elves again.

The goblins arrive and are led by a one-handed warrior. He is a "veteran" of Gateheaven! Survived the previous siege and now has been appointed commander of the new one.

They attempt to ford the river rather than walk over the bridge we made. Many goblins have trouble with the current and the army is separated.

Regardless, even half of the goblin army is easily able to butcher the elven one.
Elves who had gone into the death maze and didn't die stumbled out attempting to flee our death trap only to meet hooting goblins at the top.

I'd note that despite being the far more evil force the goblins don't kill a single traveler they encounter on the road to our fort. Unlike the humans who killed almost every single one! Strange.

Atu, the veteran of our fort, is one of the first to die. Stonefall trap.

The rest of the goblins fare even worse than the humans did previously with only two getting through the maze at all. Perhaps they shouldn't send their commanders in first?

The maze is an exquisite work of my predecessor. The goblins make it through one section of traps and stand paralyzed. Go forward and maybe run into more? Retreat and definitely hit traps again? The shock on their faces when their comrades move only to have their chests explode asunder by the sheer force of a trap!

Winter ends soon and I am eager to retire. I do not know where they took our comrades, but I pray for their safe return.
All in all within a single year we saw over 1400 deaths. Close to 20 were ours.

Short List of things I learned
1. New armies show up seasonally. I ended one human siege end of spring and a new one showed up a few weeks later beginning of summer.
2. New armies will show up every season. 2-3 armies each having 160 invaders according to our current settings
3. The goblins only have 5 or 6 sites. If we conquer them all we'd very quickly eliminate an enemy from attacking us and that'd give us relief. Important to conquer and not raze otherwise they'll just reoccupy sites
4. My squad is affected by a known glitch with prisoners. Theirs a chance that they'll rejoin our fort in a random migrant wave. Theirs also a chance they'll be part of the next invading human force too! Buggy.
5. I tried to pass multiple years, but with the constant armies the fort requires constant micromanagement. I'm constantly pausing to check on things.
6. Could probably fit 6 more squads into the fort, but I was focused on getting our current ones trained. Once we have 80 legendary fighters this will get A LOT easier
7. I wanna fill the death maze up with weapon traps. If we can automate killing sieges it'll make missions easier and we can focus on the caverns more.
8. Need the caverns reclaimed SOON. No wood for ballistae bolts

Also I didn't get to play for three days this week due to real life circumstances. This always happens to me on these kinds of games :(

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17044

good luck!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2024, 01:31:41 pm »

Wow, exciting read! So many cool twists and turns. The war of conquest begins...

I hadn't even thought of the possibility to steal livestock. Perfect for this desert fort! Good idea to fill up the corridor with traps. Only reason I didn't build more traps, is that I wanted more interesting battles and a better story to write. To cripple the invasion but not annihilate it. A bit selfish of me

I went to Legends to check, looks like Muthkat Searchwall was a denizen of Luteglen: the chamberlain and also a slave of the Union of Frenzy. Those primitives keep slaves? Also, 'Conceited' Apexroad slashed off his nose in the fight. Still, 'Maloy' Fernboulder and his whole squad getting imprisoned is wild stuff

What on earth happened to 'Salmeuk' the child? OH, I found him. He's living in Strappedsun with his mum, 'Pawn'. Thank goodness.
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17