Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 5 (83.3%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 17596 times)

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2024, 08:35:34 pm »

Ah it must be a 50.x change i suppose.  The mystery persists; is there a site  somewhere or are they like the hard coded migrants plucked from the ether... there was no liason right?
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2024, 06:39:55 am »

Oh these are definitely the hard coded ones! We only got seven other survivors of our civilization camped out in a hillocks and every one of them is now nobility. In this case Gimli is wrong and dwarves do pop out of the ground!

Also we've had some strange visitors...

Clearly a wanted criminal, but if he's wanted by humans he is fine here I say!

Also this lady with the blue skin insists that she is not a vampire

Only problem is that as soon as she showed up she accidentally told somebody she was a vampire!

She's keeping her teeth away from our lads and lasses though!

This goblin is giving me all sorts of red flags with that sword and gelding skills

Have I told you all yet that the two most popular gods in our civilization are the god of suicide and the god of death and disease?

Also this is a growing problem and any classic df player knows to fear this

It's not even threatening looking. It looks adorable and hilarious. It kills elves! Too bad we can't make him a pet!

He ran into our elephant enclosure and is mauling our baby elephants to near death! Thankfully our boys arrived just in time to finish him!
We're gonna leave his corpse out in the sun to bake a bit and then put him on display in the tavern!

So, here is what I am thinking about military:
I am aiming for around 100 dwarves here. Everyone will be military, but will be scheduled so we always have a working force and a force that is training and raiding. Keeps things constantly moving
Personally, I want winter to be the exception. So far I have let the dwarves take two winters off to focus on socializing. It'll speed up the marrying and baby making process which is what we want long term!

Oh also I'll post a fort tour when I turn in save, but I did learn something very cool! I put the barracks in the tavern mostly for aesthetic reasons, but actually if a tavern dwarf is "socializing" in the same room a military dwarf is training then it counts as the military dwarf socializing too and their relationship actually grew! Very neat!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 06:42:51 am by Maloy »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2024, 10:27:22 am »

No need for a clothing industry when your dwarves are all in full armor. No need to worry about haulers getting eaten by wereopossums or giant cave spiders when they're all trained for battle. The only downside is the enormous amount of setup - but if every dwarf is precious, it's a good thing to do.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2024, 11:34:53 am »

Here's the save neblime!
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17000

We have enough iron stock piled to make weapons and armor for the rest of the population I just haven't done it yet. I haven't named the new dwarves from the new migrant wave. Feel free to change any names you want that aren't us players who were dwarfed
Feel free to change anything I've done as you need to! I'm not attached to any designs or schedules it was just me pursuing an efficient design!

Another human showed up!
Old man! Never met a human who has lived as long as him before! Said he wants somewhere quiet to retire and tell stories until he dies

I would've said no, but he's an experienced elf killer and those are the kinds of stories I love to hear!

Within moments of Otto stamping Shosa's approval to stay we get trouble

humans... 20 of them and a couple of war dogs gathered outside offering "parley"

They are offering to "spare" us in exchange for some children's toy a dwarf made last year!
It's just a toy and none of us use it since there are no kids living in our whole society!

But that isn't the point! Those filthy humans with their grubby greedy hands think they can just rob us? Just bandits not an army! By my beard I won't be satisfied until they've paid for this insult to our clans!
While Otto finishes "parleying" with the human bandits in his full armor the rest of us march up to stand with him as he says "No."
We then butchered the lot of them.

Thought we'd gather all their metal and store it in a stock pile for our use, but some of our people haven't hardened enough yet and seeing the stinking human corpses was a bit too much for them to handle...
We'll leave the gear out there until everyone gets enough grit to handle it.

Month after that Maise_Now spots another human warrior skulking in the bushes while she was picking strawberries

Same exact day Otto let it slip where we are keeping the toy hidden...sitting on top of a stockpile of unguarded crafts

Pictured: Half the tavern filled with training dwarves and the other half lining up for some good old dwarven dancing! Also were-possum skeleton on the pedestal!

Fortress tour:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2024, 06:34:12 am »

Nice first turn! I like the human bandit warlord. Also you made my dwarf expedition leader? I'm honored! Let's see. Nish Otto Lancerbridged.

Physically he's a powerhouse. He has a long pumpkin beard and pale skin. He eschews practical issues for philosophy, riddles and the world of ideas. Obsessed with his appearance, abilities and personal affairs. He is lustful and foolhardy, and has lately become more rude and thoughtless. Clearly he was being thoughtless when he let slip info about that artefact

Okay couple of things. Probably need to grow a fungus pasture for those elephants to get them safe undergound. Also i noticed Otto doesn't have an office, meaning he'll conduct meetings wherever, including outside. Could he get an office?
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2024, 09:03:48 am »

Alright I have the save having a look around...
So just to be clear its completely up to us to retire and make a new fort or adventurer or whatever during our turn? (not that I plan to retire this fort soon)
I'm going to name unnamed dwarves after random forum members, see how those lineages go.  It seems to me we need to plan long term, and try and bolster our numbers as much as possible before we worry about too much violence.
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2024, 09:52:29 am »

Nice first turn! I like the human bandit warlord. Also you made my dwarf expedition leader? I'm honored! Let's see. Nish Otto Lancerbridged.
Okay couple of things. Probably need to grow a fungus pasture for those elephants to get them safe undergound. Also i noticed Otto doesn't have an office, meaning he'll conduct meetings wherever, including outside. Could he get an office?

No problem! We're outnumbered more than 10000 to 1 enemy wise so there will be plenty of opportunities for each of us to claim lots of glory!
I like the pasture idea! Elephants are tough, but all they need to do is get surrounded before the military can get to them and they are toast!

Alright I have the save having a look around...
So just to be clear its completely up to us to retire and make a new fort or adventurer or whatever during our turn? (not that I plan to retire this fort soon)
I'm going to name unnamed dwarves after random forum members, see how those lineages go.  It seems to me we need to plan long term, and try and bolster our numbers as much as possible before we worry about too much violence.
I think before we retire this one and do something else we should all agree to it. Only because when you un-retire forts they get incredibly glitchy!
I'm fine with changing it to where we can retire whenever if that is what you guys are all feeling like doing

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2024, 10:48:40 am »

I think before we retire this one and do something else we should all agree to it. Only because when you un-retire forts they get incredibly glitchy!

I agree, I would prefer at least a majority agreement that it's good to retire. Easier to commit to a fort, when i know that others also commit and won't randomly retire. Also what's the benefit of retiring? If some good reason comes up, then majority of players will likely agree to retire
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2024, 04:46:13 pm »

We need to save our war elephants for offsite battles, where they'll truly shine.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2024, 08:57:46 pm »

Sure sure, at any rate it wont be during this turn.
One thing is clear, to wage war we're going to need a vast amount of resources, weapons armor, ammunition but not only these things, food, clothes (yes we do still need those  >:( ), leather for quivers and waterskins, Ingots and fuel for smelting.  We need to way scale up production for what we need, that will be my focus this turn.  There are plenty of elves humans and goblins willing to join us, I say we let them do the dirty work in the fort while the dwarves find glory on the field!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2024, 09:00:27 am »

I like that idea! Definitely gonna need an efficient fort. I see the length of this war being hard on mental stability of dwarves

Turning non-dwarves into a labor force is the hilarious dark efficiency I’m here for. Are we gonna call them “workers” or just skip the pleasantries?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2024, 09:06:09 am »

well uh, they signed up to stay as "entertainers" I guess they'll be entertaining the fires of the forges?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2024, 03:14:30 pm »

It takes years for entertainers to get full citizenship so they can be properly employed... but it takes even longer for a baby dwarf to grow into an adult. And those are really our only two options.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2024, 03:02:51 am »

It takes years for entertainers to get full citizenship so they can be properly employed...

I only recently learned this, but you can cancel the occupation of performers, monster slayers etc. By removing the performer tag here

Turning non-dwarves into a labor force is the hilarious dark efficiency I’m here for. Are we gonna call them “workers” or just skip the pleasantries?

Idk i think they would still be workers, not slaves. Hmm, i won't try to debate it, bc there's probably history nerds here and i would get all the definitions wrong. But i generally see all fort citizens as just workers.

Though i suppose they would still be the lowest class. In this fort, by necessity your skillset defines your worth. Performers are usually bad at everything except (sometimes) performing

Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2024, 07:08:03 am »

Lets go with something along the lines of (military) service gaurantees citizenship! - that is to say I won't name any non dwarf that doesnt fight for us
so does disabling the occupation do anything before they're full citizens though, will they do actual work? very good to know we can do that though. Also opening the caves might be worth it JUST to get monster hunter types to join as mercenaries.
I know I'm posting a lot of little questions/updates proper post on how its going so far will come soon!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 07:31:19 am by neblime »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16