Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should the next fortress be?

Embark upon the cavern layer! Survive the depths!
- 3 (60%)
Reclaim our destroyed capital after filling it with divine weapons and armor! March with the fury of heaven!
- 2 (40%)
Other(post a comment with idea)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: Longnight the Umbral Souls: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 27950 times)

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #330 on: July 24, 2024, 06:45:31 am »

Image 1: The enemy

Image 2: The team

‘Otto_K’ Kivishsazir had gathered a team of trusted fighters on his side. ‘G0rd0nFreeman’ and ‘Jimbus Khan’, the former expedition leader, were there. Kivishsazir – Lancerbridged – had been an expedition leader himself once, so this was an elite group indeed.

Monom Cogtashem, ‘Otto_K II’, arrived in the room past the mysterious drainage grates whose purpose everybody had probably forgotten, clutching his exceptional steel sword. It had the likeness of Idräth carved onto it in bone: the goddess of wealth and treasures, a contemplative woman surrounded by praying dwarves. Monom thought the goddess of arse-kicking would serve him better now. There’s no profit in this, he grumbled to his beard, to cover his fear.

“So, you made it here, you lot”, ‘Otto_K’ grinned. “To me, my Wrathblades!”

Kivishsazir gave a speech about duty, and how it was their burden to finally end the threat of Omba. Their responsibility, their destiny.

“In our hubris, we thought we could tame these forests. And so the Forest Titan, Omba Mistyforest, the Lavender Wood… was sent to punish us. But remember one thing! It’s not hubris, if we can show we can fight it… if we can kill it!”

The others cheered and they proceeded upstairs, where a mere steel door stood between them and the titan, trapped in a makeshift spike trap.

Image 3: The fight begins!

Sander the naturalist takes her position by the lever, and starts flicking it, bringing the trap to motion. The titan takes multiple hits from the upright spikes. One masterwork, one exceptional steel spike. It roars as its coral shell fractures.

“To hell with it! Open the door!” Kivishsazir yells. Cogtashem curses loudly at his namesake’s recklessness. The titan is there, a weird humanoid mass of cracked coral. It webs ‘G0rd0n’, and pushes his knee. Even deflected by the protective steel armor, the shock of the impact makes the knee burst open into a gory mess.

‘JimbusKhan’ attacks from behind and lures the beast away from the wounded hammer lord. But the titan’s fury overwhelms her, and after webbing her, Omba crushes her throat. ‘Jimbus’ is on the ground, gasping for breath, to no avail.

Monom Bootpulled jumps at the beast in rage, and slaps with his sword, fracturing the upper body. His namesake, Nish Lancerbridged, shatters Omba’s trunk with his masterwork pickaxe. Nish dodges blows, and the two dwarves attack in a frenzy. Nish kicks and scratches, and Monom punches the creature’s arm. After a lot of chipping at the coral shell, ‘Otto_K’ strikes the trunk again, and it’s cloven asunder!

Another slap from the flat of ‘Otto_K II’s sword, and the titan’s chest is fractured. The titan turns on ‘Jimbus’ again, and a punch jerks her neck awkwardly. ‘Otto_K’ jumps between Omba and the wounded hammer-lord and kicks it in the head, and the three dwarves remaining in the fight all descend on Omba, battering it with attacks. ‘G0rd0n’ bites it, fracturing its hand and chest.

As the others are keeping it busy, ‘Otto_K’ is pulling at his pick, which is jammed in the coral. Getting his weapon loose again, he strikes at Omba’s upper body. The strike cuts deep and cuts the titan in half… Omba is no more!

Image 4: Nish Lancerbridged, Titan slayer

‘JimbusKhan’ lost consciousness, and as she was being carried to hospital, she suffocated and passed away. Was it the crushed throat or broken spine, I'm not sure. ‘G0rd0n’s smashed knee was treated, and given a crutch.

Monom ‘Otto_K II’ has a mangled ear and infected wounds, he didn’t go to the hospital. I hope he survives the infection? ‘Jimbus’ was buried with her weapon and shield in the catacomb floor, and a slab was placed for her, opposite ‘UDIL SODKIB’s slab. The fort was free of Omba’s curse, but it had taken a sacrifice.

Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: July 24, 2024, 10:21:03 am »

So, here's the save again.
DFFD Link

Thoughts about my turn:

- My last turn on this fort. I've done all i want, and lots of players after me to finish business here. I'll be happy to play on next fort if we start one, or maybe even an adventurer. I have no idea how adventure mode works...

- Treedoom took our idea of fighting elves. Maybe we could take an idea from them? I liked the cavern stuff in that post. How about for next fortress, cavern fort in the third cavern layer, close to magma? Connect the caves to the surface via staircases so sieging armies will have to go to the caves, and get attacked by forgotten beasts

I guess I'm nobility now! What kind of stuff does my dwarf like?
Figurines, and bunch of other stuff besides
Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

yooo never seen a werefox! also weird baroness shenanigans. I wonder where Godshells is?

It's far to the south in the jungle, took me a while to even find it on map. It's a forest retreat that the goblins had taken in the past. So Maloy took it from goblins
Image:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aaah my lovely steel spear!
Can we send a party out to reclaim it?

Have you changed how the drowning chamber operates?

I'm pissed about it too... Honestly searching for all of our lost artefacts sounds like a whole game of its own, it's like we've lost most of them by now
Succession fort runs!

A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2024, 02:24:32 pm »

So, here's the save again.
DFFD Link

- Treedoom took our idea of fighting elves. Maybe we could take an idea from them? I liked the cavern stuff in that post. How about for next fortress, cavern fort in the third cavern layer, close to magma? Connect the caves to the surface via staircases so sieging armies will have to go to the caves, and get attacked by forgotten beasts

We took your idea? Preposterous! But legit, caverns are hard, bro. We've actually lost something like 100 dwarves or so over in Treedoom to cavern bullshit. Also, YOU GUYS SHOULD COME PLAY TREEDOOM! Like, we're seriously hard up for overseers. The forums aren't as active as they used to be, lol.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2024, 02:41:21 pm »

Figurines are a pretty easy mandate to meet... though forbidding the export of figurines kind of sucks. But I have sweet digs!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: July 24, 2024, 03:22:19 pm »

Alright, I think I'm up? It might be a shorter turn. I kind of agree with Otto that we should look for a new embark soon. The lag here is big awful, and the trees will only grow back to make it worse.

Amazing choice to fight Omba, finally. That beast almost brought us to an end some time back, so revenge was sweet. The fight was pretty intense too, but your strategies were supreme .. checkerboard wall tiles + some traps is great for that kind of webbing fight. Cheers to 'Otto_K II'!

Connect the caves to the surface via staircases so sieging armies will have to go to the caves, and get attacked by forgotten beasts

If any of you are familiar with the DFhack 'Deep Embark' option, we could try something liek that. starting literally in the cavern layer 3 would prove.. interesting...

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: July 24, 2024, 04:48:38 pm »

OK, I think for my next turn (if someone else hasn't already done it) I am going to get that damned spear back.

Either in fort mode, or in adventure mode. The thieving scumbag will RUE THE DAY.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 25, 2024, 06:26:22 am »

I'm down for a fort switch! This one made good progress and we wiped out an enemy nation.

I might try to take some elven forests before the full retire. What would the next fort be? Do we wanna do the cavern embark?

I'd like to do some adventure mode as well before we start the new fort! Feel like I'd enjoy bringing peace, freedom, justice and security
« Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 06:30:40 am by Maloy »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2024, 12:55:00 pm »

Is there a legends viewer type program for this version yet? I mean, could we identify who stole the artifact and get them back?

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2024, 04:39:51 pm »

Yeah seems that there is. Here's the
Github link
and
Bay12 forums link. One of them should have a download link that works

Looks like the spear was offered to one Osnun Ghoulgrouped, goblin, boss of the Mangy Scorpions in the town of Hairchips. Town in the Union of Reigns

The thief on the ground was Mato Flydrip. It says here,
"In early autumn of 168, Mato was convicted of espionage by  The Kindled Torch, sentenced to 50 hammerstrokes and imprisoned for a term of 8 months"

Ahh maybe we need a hammerer, put all these spies to the hammer
Succession fort runs!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2024, 07:19:34 pm »

Excellent detective work! Now I can start to hatch my plan...

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 26, 2024, 11:57:42 am »

Sorry folks, gotta bow out of my turn - business calls me to not be so distracted for the next few days, and this fortress requires a fair amount of focus.

that being said, throw me on the list for next fortress overseers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 12:39:40 pm by Salmeuk »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 26, 2024, 12:35:15 pm »

Sorry folks, gotta bow out of my turn - business calls me to not be so distracted for the next few days, and this fortress requires a fair about of focus.

that being said, throw me on the list for next fortress overseers.

I can definitely relate to those struggles.

It is Neblime's turn next, but do we just wanna go adventure mode for a bit then start a new fort?

If Neblime would also prefer to just move on from this one I don't see why not to go ahead and start

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 29, 2024, 12:28:22 pm »

I've updated the turn list and also hyperlinked all the entries for easier navigating!

Neblime hasn't responded and I know sometimes he disappears from the forums for awhile. If there's no complaints and he doesn't respond by tomorrow I will pick it up and finish our the Forests of Burning! Hopefully take some elven forests before I retire! Or lose everything...

We will keep our current turn order for the next fort so no one loses their spot, but if anyone wants to reserve an adventure mode spot feel free to ask!

I'll also do an adventure mode turn!

I think I'm also fine with someone hopping onto adventure mode during fortress mode turns provided they finish their turn by unretiring and fixing all the mess and problems that come with retiring.

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 29, 2024, 04:29:07 pm »

Does that mean I'm up next then? If so, it'll be a bit before I can do my turn. I'm working on Treedoom this week, so that comes first. Probably be delayed a bit, I'll finish Treedoom Thursday and probably get to starting us off on our next fort sometime this weekend.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 30, 2024, 07:06:30 am »

I'm not a big fan of retiring during a fortress run. I want to focus on fort mode when we fort mode

How about instead, we take our time with adventuring? Play more adventurers until everybody's satisfied, and only after then go start the new fort.

I too want to try adventuring in this world! I may not survive but we'll see
Succession fort runs!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27