Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 6 (85.7%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]

Author Topic: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 18616 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2024, 06:44:36 am »

Hope Neblime is okay. We should be starting the next turn already, but also I don't wanna abandon any progress he has made on the fort

MaiseNow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2024, 10:15:21 am »

I'm game for a turn at some point, assuming Neblime is alright and we can continue. I tend to be a "hunker down and work on stockpiles" kind of player in the face of sieges and werecreatures. I don't think I've ever gotten a fort big enough to get an FB yet. So naturally I'm excited for the !!FUN!! to commence.

My dorf was mentioned exactly once in the like first update of the first fort (she made a legendary gemstone window). I'm assuming she died at some point but I have no idea how or when lol.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 19, 2024, 03:35:11 am »

Ah so sorry guys my computer died before I started and I forgot this was something I had on there that was going, needless to say I won't be able to finish turn, sorry to hold y'all up. Just as well Maloy sent me a message so I got a notif
Here's the link I was given:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17114

At least when I get a new comp the framerate will hopefully be better!
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 19, 2024, 08:25:15 am »

At least when I get a new comp the framerate will hopefully be better!

You had to dip out of a turn due to lag before, right? Good to hear you can get a new machine!

My dorf was mentioned exactly once in the like first update of the first fort (she made a legendary gemstone window). I'm assuming she died at some point but I have no idea how or when lol.

As of year 161, 'Maise Now' seems to be alive and legends says she's the manager in Gateheaven?

It's pretty funny (or annoying) that both of my 'Otto_K' dwarves are still alive and doing well. And that's not all. 'Otto_K' Lancerbridged actually GOT MARRIED in 159, to another named dwarf

Img: OttoK 1 in Legends

Also he has 86 kills... as in, in combat
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2024, 02:11:10 pm »

All good! I was mainly just becoming worried something happened to you

It's Kesperan's turn next.

@Maise_Now we could put you on the list below me, and that'd make you last in rotation on peoples first turn with the new fort.

So, I remember playing and trying to find something to report about your character, but they were a really peaceful dwarf. They faithfully did their job as manager, avoided stress, the hundreds of dead bodies or being dismembered, but did not actually do anything for me to report lol

We need a Maise_Now II, because since you're the manager of Gateheaven your dwarf won't migrate to leave there unless Gateheaven gets conquered

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2024, 02:43:13 pm »

at this point we might as well pre-make versions III, IV and V just for efficiencies sake

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2024, 06:06:34 pm »

It's Kesperan's turn next.

I tried loading up the save. I don't know how anything works, there's some kind of drowning chamber?

Goblins came and killed everyone.

I think it's safe to say I just don't know how to play Steam DF!

Best to skip me for now.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2024, 07:42:24 pm »

You wanna play after me? I’m making it my goal to stabilize the fort by the end of my turn. Automatic defenses. Etc.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2024, 02:26:54 am »

I can give it a go. A guide to the fort would be handy.

I’m sure I’m not alone but after 10+ years of DF2014 I’m still struggling to get my bearings on Steam DF. Everything just seems slower and clunkier! I guess I just need more practice.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2024, 05:09:26 am »

Got the save! Learning where all the new things are. Loving the designs I like how my big shack in the jungle with some underground tunnels developed into this great complex!

Re-dwarfing everyone as needed! Tonnot, Otto and I are surviving. We still have the very first Tonnot and she has been fighting on the front lines from the get go so I am impressed.

I'll do a fort tour by the end as well as gonna catch up on some world events because a lot has happened!

Also did somebody accidentally butcher elephants? We only got two adults, but a lot of elephant meat sitting in our storage? Or was that from the elves and their elephants? Just curious. I saw the stacks of elephant meats and I got stressed out and RAN to see if the autobutcher was on lol

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2024, 12:17:26 pm »

Also did somebody accidentally butcher elephants? We only got two adults, but a lot of elephant meat sitting in our storage? Or was that from the elves and their elephants? Just curious. I saw the stacks of elephant meats and I got stressed out and RAN to see if the autobutcher was on lol

Ah, don't worry, it's from invader elephants. i got maybe 5? of them butchered during the elf siege

Another note -- AAAH WHAT HAPPENED -- Ok, testing shows that we were very lucky - the Titan could've had multiple ways into the fort, including swimming through the river, which just now happened when i was poking around in my save. This could've happened in the actual run

Img: mayhem

Let's see how this plays out, for fun. Stationing squads but surely it's not fast enough... Wait a minute - THEY KILLED IT? Trellis did the killshot, biting the head off

Img2: Bye titan? Test footage, not actual game

Oh wow, this could've been interesting
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

LeftHandofGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Within the Shadow's Grasp
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 22, 2024, 04:59:15 pm »

Well, this looks interesting. I'm up for a turn! Also, to my old friend Salumek, greetings! And sorry for the absence.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 24, 2024, 05:38:47 am »

Glad to have you on board! This is a wild ride of a fort!

New turn order
Maloy
Kesperan
Maise_Now
Otto_K
Salmeuk
Neblime
LeftHandofGod

I've passed a couple of years and really stabilized the fort, but we've had no end of forgotten beasts, invasions, etc.
The drowning chamber is magnificent! It drains into the trash compactor which is great for stress and the spare water falls on dwarves giving happy thoughts. Efficient!
I believe I am gonna be able to knock out the goblins from the war in my turn! I've definitely wiped out the forest because Ombo commanded it

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Rolls out white board and map*
Alright. Most of you been busy mining tunnels, brewing brews, training or other labors to keep this place up and running. So, we need an update on the bigger picture!

Years ago, before founding Gateheaven, our people were nearly wiped out. Elves and humans actually worked together to destroy us! For what reason? Who knows! Elves can't even use our forges, but both did! They split the spoils and split our lands while the rest of us lived on the run in jungles and forests -shudders in disgust-

Here's the map now:

What do you notice? Our homeland is entirely abandoned by the enemy. There's only one hillocks with a small group of human refugees from another faraway kingdom, but our lands are now empty. Why?

Human and elven idiocy. You see, everyone turned on each other once they thought we were dealt with. The Union of Frenzy(humans) is at war with around 5 other kingdoms including our own.
The multiple elven forests are at war with pretty much everything not green.
This has led to some brutal battles and both races have had their populations decimated.
Also consider our brothers and sisters at Gateheaven. They killed thousands of enemies leaving a scar on human and elven psyche that will likely follow their respective species into future generations.

What does this mean for us? Good news and bad news

Good News: As this war machine churns on entire towns and population centers are wiped out giving us fewer armies needing conquering!
Bad News: Those that survive are the strongest, usually, and now they will be even stronger. Farming Peasants are becoming legendary leaders and all that.

Its my goal to wipe out one of our enemies from this map before my tenure as overseer ends. We'll be catching up on work for the first two years and from there we will be training and sending out groups from this jungle to take out the Dungeon of Crazes.

Questions?

-waits-

Dismissed!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whoever automated the work orders did a fantastic job. Alongside our drowning chamber trap the fortress is automated enough for me to post this fort tour while time passes.

It took me half of my first day to find where everything was so I am hoping this will save others time.

Points 1,2,4 are all entrances to the fort. When an invasions hits lock those doors

Point 3. Is the lever to start the drowning chamber flooding. Our river is not very fast so you should start the flooding as soon as enemies start advancing on fort

Here s our drowning chamber(recently used)

The blue square are the trash chutes that drain water. Be sure these are lowered when we start the flooding otherwise no one will drown

The bottom circle is the lever belonging to those trash chutes I mentioned.

The top one is for the trash compactor to delete all the garbage our flooding chamber accumulates. These are both one floor below the drowning chamber. The drowning chamber is also ingenious as it not only kills all the enemies, but cleans itself up after too! Great design!

The Lucid Stones and Brass Perfections are both fully equipped and trained squads that can handle most threats. Any other ones are not as well equipped and I wouldn't send them against invasions unless you've checked that they're ready.

There are random industries scattered throughout our fort, but most are not needed because of how small we are and are not in use.

Forge and smithing district

Brewery and kitchen

Brewery was automated, but we have so few dwarves that the drink orders were continuously canceled because we didn't have enough containers and it was affecting FPS. So I just remember to start brewing more later.

Clothing industry is entirely automated too. I'm debating that one, because we have way more clothes than our pop needs and I'd really like to see our folk have more downtime to possibly start having families, but for now I am rolling with it since I got bigger fish to fry with the goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]