Poll

Is it time for a new fortress?

OH YEAH!!!!
- 5 (83.3%)
No, Still got grudges to settle here!
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 16155 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gateheaven: Building the largest world conquest generational fort series
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2024, 09:27:17 am »

Ooof
I feel like at this point all the dwarves I named in my first turn are probably dead lol.
The war is ceaseless!

Hear me out for another insane idea.... Stuff that necromancer in a trap hall full of dead bodies and when invaders arrive we have a zombie murder room that'd murder our FPS tbh

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2024, 10:01:56 am »

omfg this is getting amazing.... the sheer size of these sieges is something I've never encountered before. Both elves, humans, and the occasionaly dwarven mercenary.

Two ballistas were fired at the bridge: both went a bit wide, but thankfully one of the arrows was “off” in the right direction and flew the length of the bridge, cutting down everybody on that side.

yesssssssss

and ‘Bruenor’ fell to the bottom and was overwhelmed by elves and animals there.

RIP Bruenor, hero of the First and Second elven sieges. you will be sorely missed

With a whisper, a gesture, he raised an army for himself from the discarded corpse piles. Now goblin shall fight rotten undead elf…

yeah. i dont know what to say. ridiculous trying to imagine the shambling corpses of half-rotten elephants and jaguars, crawling en masse towards your front gate.....

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2024, 04:02:53 pm »

PTW.  This is amazing. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2024, 04:16:07 pm »

Welcome to Gateheaven, hope you like rotten elephant corpses and hordes of feral dogs.

I’m amazed at the consistently high happiness levels for the dwarves in this hellhole. You’ve done a grand job Otto.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2024, 08:45:56 am »

Image 1: Kib's undeath. (I didn't get screenshot of the full death screen so it's a recreation. So many resurrects)

Image 2: Dark warrior's end

The dark warrior’s minions clashed with the goblins. Maybe they were too decomposed, or maybe he was too busy fighting to raise them, but the dead weren’t strong enough. So the speardwarf took the enemies on himself, skillfully blocking attacks with his iron shield, and stabbing goblins with a steel spear.

Poor Kib ‘Greedy (for a dwarf)’. Not only was he sneak-attacked by elves, he now was repeatedly reanimated by the necromancer in a Sisyphean fight against a goblin.

The dark warrior juggled a giant pile of goblins seemingly easily, and killed almost 20, grievously wounding many more. But then one of his rotten zombies turned on the giver of its undeath, and punched him in the lower body. The impact collapsed his torso and he died instantly.

The remaining goblins headed for the trap entrance. When the traps and ballistas were done with them, most were wounded and military finished them off.

Some dumb shit happened meanwhile. I accidentally shot off ‘Doom’ the human ballista operator’s arm and leg with another ballista that I installed behind the others. He survived, though. Lesno Spishabluth the goblin tantrumed near the drink stockpile and was lethally injured in the fight. Ùshrir ‘Pig’ died somehow, maybe in the same fistfight.

Image 3: The world of Heavensgate

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Image 4: Traders and liaisons

I built a roof on top of our outdoor crops, as goblins were seen climbing in. I added more looms and farmer’s shops to process rope reeds faster, and set up clothing work orders. Also dug out and melted a lot of gold and finally furnished the queen’s quarters.

The Geared Gales were sent to explore the wider world in search of trade partners. Traveling past the Confining Hills to the Humorous Jungles, they demanded tribute from the forest retreat of Sisterscobras. Later, they ventured to the nearby mountains, to collect tribute at Cloisteredrocks, a dwarven fortress. We’re now in contact with the civilizations of the Fair Sun and the Artificial Pillars.

At autumn, the caravan from our own other sites (??) came. I traded in rock, steel and bone crafts, and gems. I bought all their leather and cloth, the seafood, and half of their cheese. That's pretty much all they had to offer us.

With the caravan came the outpost liaison, and bestowed us the rightful title of ‘Capital’. However, he didn’t move in with us. Maybe because we don’t have a landholding noble? No idea.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:32:11 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Zulbanunal - Bannerblunts
Bardumiseth - Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2024, 09:19:02 am »

Image 1, 2: The loyalty cascade

After the goblin siege was over, I thought there would be peace. But the worst disaster of my turn has come. After taking in many new bards, a huge fight broke loose in the tavern, and many dwarves and visitors died. The named dwarves who were lost: 'Ingrida', 'Advarsky', 'Moira', 'AnodyneStrike', 'Whisper' (human), 'Deuxlem', and 'Moth' (human).

Even after everything I tried doing for the moods, the situation in this fortress is so tense that the population seems to be on a constant brink of tantrum / loyalty cascade. Hopefully we can find ways to enforce peace within the walls so this doesn’t happen again.

I bolstered our military, and newly named ‘Maloy’ and ‘Neblime’ are now training with the squads, hopefully it was okay to re-dwarf? Also the baby ‘Salmeuk’ was born during the year. I got rid of the ‘Pickaxe Squad’ thing so they’ll actually get weapon skills, they got weapon of choice now. Also told them to wear armor without clothing, so they’ll wear their steel boots. Less cripples in the military that way.

I made a goblin philosopher squad with ‘Wittgenstein’ and newly named buddies. Also I named many of the so far unnamed and newly recruited dwarves.

Now that the fortress is healing from the loyalty cascade, I’ll end the turn. It’s 21 Obsidian, 156. The new year is quickly approaching.

Image 3: Salmeuk, the child

The save upload:
 https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=17037

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:51:35 am by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2024, 12:38:48 pm »

I won't be able to pick up the save until sunday if you'd like to play through saturday

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2024, 01:38:09 pm »

I accidentally shot off ‘Doom’ the human ballista operator’s arm and leg with another ballista that I installed behind the others. He survived, though.

jfc....

Image 3: Salmeuk, the child

goo goo ga ga - time to rule the world! or what's left of it after 18 years.

so I was rereading the OP.. at some point, are we opposed to starting a new fortress (same world, but nearby Gateheaven, and from the same civ)? Maybe we will receive some of these known dwarves as migrants. perhaps when this one inevitable crumbles from the FPS / corpse-spam / loyalty cascades..

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 01:42:29 pm by Salmeuk »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2024, 09:38:41 pm »

I'm not sure that's the greatest idea right now. We've only got the one site, any new ones we make nearby will inherit the stressed dwarves without any of the facilities and amenities to deal with them. That being said, we could make one with a pop cap so that it only accepts the void-born dwarfs from the first two migrant waves (if that's still how this game works).
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2024, 12:18:06 am »

Wow this got SUPER intense super fast, I say we dont give up yet, maybe abandoning and starting elsewhere will be the play but we should hold out and take out as many invaders as we can first
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2024, 05:25:41 am »

I won't be able to pick up the save until sunday if you'd like to play through saturday

I’m most likely good with the save Maloy. I’ve done enough for now. Put me in for another round though!

so I was rereading the OP.. at some point, are we opposed to starting a new fortress (same world, but nearby Gateheaven, and from the same civ)? Maybe we will receive some of these known dwarves as migrants. perhaps when this one inevitable crumbles from the FPS / corpse-spam / loyalty cascades..

Let’s see… Maloy said we should all agree before a fort is retired. I guess a poll could work for it too? Or maybe Maloy should call the shots on that

I put a lot of effort into the fort’s longevity: food, happiness, queen’s palace, etc; so I would appreciate if the fort stays around for a while!

Also, tanking sieges isn’t the goal here. We need to ATTACK! Occupy or raze some sites. We haven’t launched any attacks and if we start a new fort, that sets us back a couple of years before we can start attacking again
Succession fort runs!

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2024, 11:28:00 am »

Here is our current turn list!

Maloy
Neblime
Salmeuk
Otto_K

Does anyone else wanna join our little apocalypse? @Kesp you said you wanted to wait before hopping back onto the turn order?

I'm all for moving forts once we get some conquering done! I can guarantee as things stand now that if we retire this fort it'll be conquered in one or two years lol.
We can already start getting an idea of where we'd like the next one to be though.
My plan for my turn is to get some serious conquering done, but we will see how much will actually happen with the endless battles outside the front gate lol

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2024, 07:47:23 pm »

@Kesp you said you wanted to wait before hopping back onto the turn order?

Only because I made such a mess of my first attempt.

Its a hard place to build a strong military, with very few migrants and constant waves of death. Not sure I am up to it.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2024, 10:05:39 pm »

alright, fair enough! I think this is a good group of players so I really appreciate all the work put into the fortress. though I think we need to sent the able-bodied soldiers out to 'conquest' before they are consumed by the incessant sieges

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2024, 10:58:36 pm »

I'd like to give it a try, but I'll wait before I actually jump onto the turn order. Gotta get used to the game again so I don't break anything here  :P
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16