Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military overhaul ideas thread  (Read 259 times)

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military overhaul ideas thread
« on: January 25, 2024, 05:45:32 am »

In this post I would like to present my ideas for the upcomming military & siege stuff. And also hear your ideas. English is not my first language so sorry if anything is badly phrased.

I am assuming here that armies will be entities moving around on the map. Made up of military squads as the smallest unit. I think there should be a chain of command, using a modified version of the villains system and allowing enemy agents or assassins to interact with it. Maybe something like:

Squad leader < Officer(Commanding 5-10 squads, also a squad leader himself) < General (Commanding the entire army and has a personal squad he commands as his bodyguard unit) and maybe a sort of commander in chief, commanding all armies of the civilization. This could be the ruler by default, or a separate position. The commander in chief could be leading an army as a general personally or just stay in the capital, sending messengers with orders to his generals in the field.

Food, water and morale could be tracked, though it may be easier to do so in an abstract manner. Moving armies would need to have acces to water sources and get food from supply caravans of their civilisation, or forage for food.

Armies should be able to send out squads, diplomats and agents on missions. In adventure mode, the player could be hired for missions. Missions could include:

Squads: Scouting to find enemy settlements, agents, squads and armies. Foraging for food. Raiding less protected enemy settlements. Intercepting enemy scouts and raids. Skirmishing enemy armies. Attacking enemy supply caravans and foraging squads to starve them.

Diplomats: Negotiating the surrender of enemy settlements or making them pay one time tributes so you don't attack them (Like people in the middle ages paid vikings to leave their territory), sending information/orders back and forth between allied armies and settlements, convincing enemy armies to retreat/surrender/make peace.

Agents: Spying to get information on enemy armies, assassinating enemy position holders, using villain mechanics to turn enemy generals/officers, spreading rumors in enemy army to lower morale, sneaking in and destroying enemy supplies.

I also think it would be cool if armies could set up camps while not moving. Either while waiting for orders or during a siege. Using tents, digging trenches and setting up temporary wooden fortifications as roman armies used to do. Especially for sieges I think it would be cool if armies would set up a camp just outside of a settlement and attack in waves. I think the idea of longer lasting sieges was mentioned before and this would help. Both attackers and defenders could send out squads to raid eachother as well as agents and diplomats to do the things described above. Also defenders could try and send out messengers to call allied armies to lift the siege, as it often happened in real wars.