Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153

Author Topic: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D3 - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 57993 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D3 - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY
« Reply #2250 on: February 11, 2024, 05:25:27 pm »

That sort of conditional build up might happen on Slow/Limitation. With only Slow, buildup over time is probably correct. Granted, when you pick Cascade things do get out of hand. This from a Tric whos brain is burnt out.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: February 11, 2024, 05:40:12 pm »

Yeah, I'm not trying to be salty, NQT, sorry if I'm giving you a hard time about it.  I'm more trying to get a feel for if I'm missing anything crucial in my analysis and to remove as much bias from my analysis as possible, as well as let you know how my role felt while I was playing the role (though, this last one is entirely biased.)  I think it boils down to:  I liked that my role had changing things I couldn't quite control (truly, I DID like the concept of Harness Emerald, even if I wasn't a fan of the first Emerald), but I think one more Action to choose from would've made the difference.  I liked that my role interacted in a way with Toony's, though, I wish it was in a way that Toony and I both gained fairly equally from instead of him being put at a bit of a disadvantage.  I liked that I had Emeralds to collect, though I wish I had more room to collect them.

Those are pretty much my frustrations with my role, at as much of an unbiased opinion as I can get.

That sort of conditional build up might happen on Slow/Limitation. With only Slow, buildup over time is probably correct. Granted, when you pick Cascade things do get out of hand. This from a Tric whos brain is burnt out.
Slow can be multiple implementations:  I think time is one of them, Days/Nights.  Players remaining is another.  Number of times an Ability is used is a third (An Ability could improve each time it's used.)  There's a bunch of ways I could see Slow working.  I'm not saying it has to always be one particular way.  I'm saying that we were all given the same way, against a Town that had several ways to reduce the efficacy of time-building.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: February 11, 2024, 06:33:52 pm »

Yeah, I'm not trying to be salty, NQT, sorry if I'm giving you a hard time about it.  I'm more trying to get a feel for if I'm missing anything crucial in my analysis and to remove as much bias from my analysis as possible, as well as let you know how my role felt while I was playing the role (though, this last one is entirely biased.)  I think it boils down to:  I liked that my role had changing things I couldn't quite control (truly, I DID like the concept of Harness Emerald, even if I wasn't a fan of the first Emerald), but I think one more Action to choose from would've made the difference.  I liked that my role interacted in a way with Toony's, though, I wish it was in a way that Toony and I both gained fairly equally from instead of him being put at a bit of a disadvantage.  I liked that I had Emeralds to collect, though I wish I had more room to collect them.

Those are pretty much my frustrations with my role, at as much of an unbiased opinion as I can get.

Slow can be multiple implementations:  I think time is one of them, Days/Nights.  Players remaining is another.  Number of times an Ability is used is a third (An Ability could improve each time it's used.)  There's a bunch of ways I could see Slow working.  I'm not saying it has to always be one particular way.  I'm saying that we were all given the same way, against a Town that had several ways to reduce the efficacy of time-building.

I kinda think this implements the 'number of times an ability is used' for slow, while it's not clear how it will change or if it will be better/worse/same each time it's used, it does change with each use.

(Flux)(Meta)(Mutation)(Cascade)(Overpowered) New Sketch Idea [blue sphere]: Name a blue sphere. Everyone with that sphere has one of their abilities with it permanently mutated into a different ability based around a random blue sphere and the non-mutated spheres that ability had. This can transform actions in progress. This has no impact on [items]. The mafiakill is untargetable. If this ability successfully mutates, it is transformed into an ability which combines all the new spheres it had just created.

(Note: for example, if you mutated 'Protection' and two players had protections, their abilities would change into new spheres. Say, they became Thwart and Necromancy spheres, New Sketch would turn into an ability with the Thwart and Necromancy spheres, but not Flux, Meta, Mutation, Cascade or Overpowered)

Duplicate seemed like a neat slow improvement, though you need to somehow have something you think's worth duplicating.

If FoU had duplicated votes repeatedly, Duplicate would have stayed with FoU (only person with [votes] item at least until web got the [vote] ability emerald if ever) and would have steadily gained another clementine, free and 1-shot, per use.  If you guys lived and spread the new clementines between you, could have had each player with gaining a new one per use.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: February 11, 2024, 06:41:13 pm »

(Improvement)(Cascade)(Flux) Harness Emerald [target]: Replenish your target's limited-shot abilities at the end of the night. Your target's next action on someone also replenishes all their targets limited-shot abilities at the end of the night. (A player will be informed of this if and only if they have abilities that require replenishing.)

You guys had it challenging that you didn't start with any items or abilities that specifically targeted another player.

But if one of you (not web) had gotten even the airsoft rifle through any means, or any other item that could target, you could have set up an awesome replenish chain just with your harness emerald with the green one -

Your original plan I think was to ensure Cascade was duplicated; if you were lucky enough to get Harness Emerald dupped, we might have seen an incredibly different game if you'd lived to use it.

With 2+ harness emeralds, even with just replenish zipping cascade back and forth, I think you guys could have gotten some cool stuff going, if given time.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: February 11, 2024, 07:06:48 pm »

I actually didn't take Slow, so if you perceive my ability as Slow, then it's too slow.

Also, while I understand that the effective-one-shottedness of New Sketch Idea is a natural result of Flux, it being my only normal action felt really underpowered. There are niche scenarios where it could be really useful, like trying to draw kill actions and making them stop being kills and possibly become gifts, but... it's not really that good an ability on any strategic level, it's just "a cool gimmick". A lot of the mafia actions felt that way - like sure, it'll make the game very weird and confusing, but it doesn't actually help. (Well, Fallacy more or less asked for that, at least.) Also, I didn't really go into Flux expecting whole actions that spontaneously overwrite themselves, that makes it much more annoying than I imagined.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: February 11, 2024, 07:24:39 pm »

A rule of thumb I like to use in BYOR design is, each role should have internal synergy, external interaction, and a way to get fucked over.

What that basically means is that the role has effects and powers that support the other effects and powers it has, and it has some way to support or counter some other roles that exist, and there's at least two ways that it's countered.

Additionally, even in a vacuum, where the other roles it's interacting with are neutral towards it, it still needs to provide some utility.

Meta-powers are like cayenne pepper. A little makes a game spicier, too much makes it inedible.

You'll get better at designing BYORs with time and practice. You certainly did better than many of my earlier attempts.

A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: February 12, 2024, 08:57:37 am »

Also, while I understand that the effective-one-shottedness of New Sketch Idea is a natural result of Flux, it being my only normal action felt really underpowered. There are niche scenarios where it could be really useful, like trying to draw kill actions and making them stop being kills and possibly become gifts, but... it's not really that good an ability on any strategic level, it's just "a cool gimmick".
I think one sticking point here for you and Web is in how I implemented (flux), in that you could have this whole other power from N2 onwards that may or may not be useful... but you had limited way to know how useful it might have been ahead of time, so it's harder to think strategically at all. Now, if I'm not in a listening mood, I can say players with (flux) literally ask for this, get over it. But on the other hand, with Imp's very expansive power, I implemented a large degree of fluxiness without sacrificing all strategic elements. Definitely something to learn from here, that even if players say they want a role that can change from one day to the next, they usually don't only want that. I think in all of these case, giving a way a few extra tools to round out these roles would have helped smooth over the experience.

Additionally, even in a vacuum, where the other roles it's interacting with are neutral towards it, it still needs to provide some utility.
This all makes sense, but moreover, the utility of a role can't be too obscure to the player. I think this is why Toony was grouchy about his role— he couldn't see the direct utility. He was basically the only person who could mechanically discern sphere claims, and his role had lots of interesting interaction potential with other powers... but in isolation none of that is immediately obvious or actionable to the player.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: February 12, 2024, 11:10:31 am »

the utility of a role can't be too obscure to the player. I think this is why Toony was grouchy about his role— he couldn't see the direct utility. He was basically the only person who could mechanically discern sphere claims, and his role had lots of interesting interaction potential with other powers... but in isolation none of that is immediately obvious or actionable to the player.

Yeah.  Like my failure to say 'me' about blowback - the potential reward of Toony's assumption blowback means town, and confirmed town a couple hours into D1 is good - Fails for me hardcore.

Claiming a sphere could make me a target!  Especially if I'm the only one with the sphere.  Maybe they can kill me - maybe they can change me in bad ways just by changing that sphere or removing it from play!

I don't agree with the logic that since Toony's town and has an item from blowback that can kill him, the person with blowback is also town! (Items can be traded.  That item can kill anyone, even me if I let it)

I lost my whole, ideal for me, perfect, I wanted so much role in FBYOR 6, **because** of Toony at that.  I am not stepping right up to say 'Yeah, Toons, do that to me again, with or without help!  You don't like my role this time either, sure, neuter it, let me help!'

Likewise, I could imagine uses for Toony's abilities, especially once the Glass detecting dead folks spheres-used-on-turn-of-death was discussed, and also once I started making items appear, and many ways it could help track liars.

Also, we didn't know Web would outwardly say "I collect chaos gems".  Web could have been more stealthy than me about artefacts.  We don't know who steals from us, we don't know it's web that's taking emeralds when he actions - 5/11 possible targets for web started play without a chaos gem, making it hard for us to be sure of narrowing down his 'thief-side'.

If web went sneaky and just silently piled up Chaos gems, which appear useless - well Toony has a chance to say "Web, last night you had 3 of those useless things, and now you have 5.  I think you have a team helping you collect them, wasting actions to give them to you - you and your team are scum".

I think nqt thought and planned a lot into this, for stuff we didn't happen to choose to do.  That doesn't make our stuff useless, it's like a swiss army knife but this group of campers didn't need a bottle opener or a screwdriver and someone else brought their favorite pair of scissors, so we don't find the device very useful.  A different set of camper choices and dang, we'd have used the heck out of the knife.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: February 12, 2024, 11:18:11 am »

CYOS 2 - draft v1

This is where I'm currently at with rejigging the sphere system. Some general changes:

- Overpowered has been split up into Speed, Variety, Mass-Effect
- Corrupted, Dud and Suspicious have been ditched, with Distributed, Counter, Cursed, Selfish and Niche added
- Thief has been split off of Thwart
- Trading is now its own thing, but to make the game thread a little less mechanics-heavy, there won't be general items, there'll just be hats and fruit
- Some spheres are meta-spheres, whose effects depend on whatever other spheres you have, so you can't have more than 2 of them.
- It's easier to build roles without flaws... but often via picking Fruit or Hats which don't do much on their own

Spoiler: Spheres Explained (click to show/hide)

Questions:

- Is this still as fun to traverse as the original grid?
- Do the connections make sense?
- Are there any combos that feel too obvious/easy?
- What spheres, if any, feel like traps?
- What spheres would you add?
- Any sorts of roles that feel like they should be possible but aren't? (For instance, it's not really possible to make a traditional JOAT with the spheres.)

I think nqt thought and planned a lot into this, for stuff we didn't happen to choose to do.  That doesn't make our stuff useless, it's like a swiss army knife but this group of campers didn't need a bottle opener or a screwdriver and someone else brought their favorite pair of scissors, so we don't find the device very useful.  A different set of camper choices and dang, we'd have used the heck out of the knife.
That's what I was going for, yes!

Also, congrats everyone, this is now the longest game thread on the subforum, bypassing both the length of uPick's total day activity and its post-game discussion.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 11:29:05 am by notquitethere »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: February 12, 2024, 11:21:19 am »

Also, guys.  What did you do when you asked for your role?

Here's what I did, and what happened.

I highly recommend you all negotiate with nqt, which he suggested was an option in the OP.  Bolding is mine:

- Players will typically know their own abilities: insanity, hidden abilities etc. are unlikely to feature unless a player signals through character creation that that's what they really want

What does that mean?  What can that possibly mean except nqt is open to us talking to him and telling him what we really want?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: February 12, 2024, 11:26:32 am »

What does that mean?  What can that possibly mean except nqt is open to us talking to him and telling him what we really want?
Yes, I'll include a section for "additional notes" in role creation next time, so players are encouraged to share some of their hopes or intentions.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: February 12, 2024, 11:30:19 am »

I wouldn't mind another sphere game. Got a role already with that.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: February 12, 2024, 11:55:39 am »

Also, guys.  What did you do when you asked for your role?

Spoiler: my role pm (click to show/hide)

I wanted fruit-selling and corrupted for roleplay value. (corrupt fruit merchant sounds fun)
Needed a sphere to make the fruit do something, that was a choice between protection and improvement. Protection felt more practical.
Then I wanted some payoff from the red sphere, the Super sphere looked great.

I loved the how the role turned out, but revealing so much D1 was absolutely a mistake. I did it mostly because I wanted to start trading D1, but it would have been better to just hand out two pieces of fruit N1. In case I'd survive I could then have the recipients confirm D2 that I have something desirable to trade.

At first glance, the sphere table v2 looks like it might be a little too easy to avoid red spheres. In general, balance-wise the Slow sphere feels like a trap to me. Chances are you might not survive longer than say 1 night and long term plans are bound to fail in the chaos of battle, anyway.
The selfish sphere is probably the best one there is and I would lock it behind reds.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: February 12, 2024, 12:06:44 pm »

Thanks for the feedback, Quarque.

At first glance, the sphere table v2 looks like it might be a little too easy to avoid red spheres.
In this layout, to avoid red spheres you have to take fruit, hats, spheres, or mimic. I think mimic (and maybe spheres?) is too useful in itself, so probably should chuck in another red sphere connection between that top right cluster.

In general, balance-wise the Slow sphere feels like a trap to me. Chances are you might not survive longer than say 1 night and long term plans are bound to fail in the chaos of battle, anyway.
Maybe reframing it as something like "cumulative" would be better? Like, a player's role should always be useful and interesting on N1, but a slower role might have a higher power output after a few nights but start lower on the curve.

The selfish sphere is probably the best one there is and I would lock it behind reds.
My thinking is that it's sort-of locked, in that if you don't want to take red, you have to have Hats, which are particularly susceptible to theft and are usually limited to one hat worn at a time. But it could be more locked, it's true.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: February 12, 2024, 12:10:27 pm »

- Is this still as fun to traverse as the original grid?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

- Do the connections make sense?

- Are there any combos that feel too obvious/easy?

- What spheres, if any, feel like traps?

- What spheres would you add?

- Any sorts of roles that feel like they should be possible but aren't? (For instance, it's not really possible to make a traditional JOAT with the spheres.)

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153