Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 153

Author Topic: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D3 - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY  (Read 58009 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D3 - GAME OVER - TOWN VICTORY
« Reply #2235 on: February 11, 2024, 03:55:19 am »

Hey Imp,
I found it difficult to put this as nicely as I wanted to but still making sure I'm getting the message across so I asked ChatGPT to edit it for me. Enjoy. ;)

I hope you're doing well. I wanted to have a chat with you about something that's been on my mind, and I believe it's important to bring it up.

During our recent game of Mafia, I noticed a significant trend in the frequency and length of your posts. In fact, about 40% of all the posts were yours, with some containing 6-8 lengthy self-replies in a row. This level of activity, while undoubtedly coming from a place of enthusiasm, has unfortunately had a negative impact on the game.

Several players have expressed frustration with the constant stream of your posts, to the extent that some have even opted out of participating further. It's crucial for the health of the game and the enjoyment of all players that we find a better balance in our interactions.

I want to make it clear that this isn't about singling you out or attacking you personally. Rather, it's about recognizing the impact of your actions on the overall experience for everyone involved.

I believe we can find a solution that allows you to contribute meaningfully while also ensuring that others have the opportunity to participate and engage in the game. Perhaps taking a moment to step back and consider the pacing and content of your posts could help achieve this.

I appreciate your understanding and willingness to address this matter. We're all here to have fun and enjoy the game together, and finding a balance that works for everyone is key to that.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: February 11, 2024, 09:57:27 am »

In which the game ends with me right once, and wrong once. Really was hoping Fallacy didn't get Mafia yet again.

To the mafia, how did the Double Lynch shake things up for you end of day?
Guess what, another will die today If it's town, I get something nice. If it's mafia, well too bad for them.

Yeah, I'm coming out quick as smoke, Lynch Two: Electric Boogaloo, playing in forums near you.
Cause yes, I am making it a double lynch for double info. Little reason not to in a big game. (Give criticisms/reasons why and why not/)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 09:59:26 am by TricMagic »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: February 11, 2024, 10:10:10 am »

I think that I will join the Imp votetrain. I feel like Imp is actually talking less than when they are town, leading me to think maybe they have a chat in which they are talking. Imp, could you explain?

Next time we hear something like this, I would prefer not having to say a word as the rest of you deal with it, to stop it.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: February 11, 2024, 10:23:15 am »

to the extent that some have even opted out of participating further.

Hey bud, one thing you really gotta do with ChatGPT is check for errors.  It's super willing, but has no idea.

Which 2+ people (that's the minimum number of some) have opted out of participating further?

And what's that mean entirely?  The normal "complain and take a break" that y'all do with each other - break and come back?  Coolio.

Left and didn't come back?  That's totally awful, but wait, the flip who has done that?

Otherwise, I heard your dozens of protests, and others' various as well.  I'll do what I can.  Your style's certainly better than web's, for achieving goals with me.

So, what should I do?  I had and followed a single, focused line of thought: my post above.  Spent time finding the quote, it's a single concept.  Posted it because I was done.  I'd already read this (and dozens of similar things from you elsewhere).  Wasn't sure what to say about it, realized, hey, I have stuff to say about it.  Especially that huge factual error that you care so little about facts and words you didn't edit out of your posting of the AI's reply.  That can cost you a job someday, or cause other problems.  Check everything an AI says for fact, never presume it's going to be right until you verify with suspicion, interest, and care.  People have already lost jobs and earned penalties for failing to do this in much more meaningful contexts.

Should I hold this post for hours, in case others have things to discuss and to decrease the odds I double post?  Should I edit my previous post, since we're out of play and that's an option?  Should I never say this at all?  Should I post it as is?

Well, I'll post it as is, so I can perhaps learn more.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: February 11, 2024, 11:05:43 am »

Others leaving the game is close enough to the truth that I left it there. Mainly to shake you awake to how bad things really are becoming.

NJW said he couldn't be arsed to respond to you anymore. D3 they didn't manage more than one or two tired posts, and no vote. Jack literally said he didn't want to play with you anymore. Several people said or implied they aren't reading all or most of the thread anymore. People were generally drained and worn out.
In a particularly ironic example, Elephant was asking Fallacy during D2 what his opinion was about Max. The right question at the right moment. Fallacy probably never even noticed the question, because you buried it under a mountain of posts. Elephant didn't have enough energy left to chase this and then D3 you wondered why he wasn't scumhunting harder.

Is that exactly the same as people leaving the game? Ok you got me, it's not. We're getting frighteningly close to it, though.

So, what should I do?
I believe the root cause of the problem is that you're trying so hard to play well and feel too much responsibility for winning. That causes you massive stress. And then you're afraid that someone might have missed some sort of detail - better post it!
In addition, the stress causes you to massively overthink things and be less receptive to what others are telling you. So my advice remains the same, but with a little more urgency: chill. Be laconic, as CM put it. Calm the f down. It is completely understandable that this game can be nerve wrecking, so maybe you need to take a little distance now and then. Go for a walk, I don't know. Winning the game is not your personal responsibility.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: February 11, 2024, 11:16:55 am »

Literally just post less. Post only the top 10% most important content and let the rest sit.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: February 11, 2024, 11:20:30 am »

I was not expecting Fallacy to be the last mafia member but a serial killer. I guess mafia did a good job of distancing afterall.
she/her

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: February 11, 2024, 01:26:00 pm »

I did mean to post more D3, but went away for 24 hours and the hammer happened.

GG all... I probably shouldn't have flipped out so much D2, but really, the game simply did not need to have this many posts.
One wheel short of a wagon

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: February 11, 2024, 03:06:22 pm »

Literally just post less. Post only the top 10% most important content and let the rest sit.
^

Post way less, listen way more.  That is it.  This post is as long as your post has to be to make a salient point.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: February 11, 2024, 04:15:28 pm »

To the mafia, how did the Double Lynch shake things up for you end of day?
The double execute fucked me and Max in particular, but more because instead of convincing a majority of the Town to not kill us, it requires convincing 66% of the Players to not execute us instead.  Overall, it wasn't particularly a fun Ability to deal with for three reasons:

- First, one of Max or I were probably going to die by the end of Day 1, and based entirely on my role, I figured I was the optimal target for it.  I hoped that I'd leave enough confusion behind when I died to make Toony, Euchre, and EP look suspicious, but, well, Chats are a strong ability, and should probably be removed as a sphere.  It's not a particularly fun Ability as Mafia, and it's extremely strong as Town.  I'd hate being Mafia with Chat, I'd hate being in a Chat with Mafia as Town, and it's super confirmable.
- Second, using it on Day 1 was always the right move, specifically because it confirms you (Mafia never use that Ability like that and also never HAVE an Ability like that.)  The chances that you execute a non-Town were about 70%, and even if you somehow missed, the double execute the following Day is not any amount of downside.  I couldn't see any downside to the Ability in the slightest, especially because it's all within the Town's power to use it and not based on your intentions.
- Third, if non-Town had somehow survived the double execute, it actually hits our team harder than other Mafia teams.  We all had Slow Abilities, and we'd basically always be shortening our teams likelihood of getting our powers online.  We got punished for all being picked as scum with Slow.  And I realize that this is sort of luck of the draw that we were all on a team with that powerset, but we didn't have to have powers manifest in that way, and honestly, I don't think they should have if we were facing a double execute.  If that were the case, instead of time being the deciding factor on our powerset, it'd have been better to have the number of living Players be it instead.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: February 11, 2024, 04:41:28 pm »

As I understand it. My refresh would only occur if the second lynch target was Town. And you were right that I was protected from being that second lynch. I kind of gamed the thing with my specific role name. As useful and effective as it was, probably wasn't that fun
Quote from: NQT
The Lynch 2: Electric Boogaloo

Self-Confirmation > Limitation > Suspicious> Kill > Convolution > Daytime

Yo dawg, I heard you liked lynches so we put a lynch in your lynch so you can lynch while you lynch.
If I was mafia this game, would have fired it anyway. If mafia flipped on it, I probably would have been seen as faultless. Or SK, but eh. As you mentioned in discord, would be strong to have in the lategame.

In the interests of sharing complaints where they won't be heard.

Refrozen Ice
Curse > Thwart > Cascade > Redirection > Blowback
Cascading Randomization. Completely anti-town. Today was horrid, our entire house has it so we can't leave.
This was from sleet that froze everything for a week.[/quote] What role would you design for it? It's a dumb idea, but snow would have been far better than that ice.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NQT's Choose-Your-Own-Spheres - -D2 Rotten Apples
« Reply #2246 on: February 11, 2024, 04:52:50 pm »

Comedic highlights of the game that should be treasured for generations. Never change, Fal.

"my gems, my gems, my gems, my gems"
Oh god, have I become TricMagic?

Alright, I saved this post to respond to once I had the time and energy, which is to say, now.

Okay. Sorry, Imp, I think what NJW is saying makes sense. I haven't seen any sign of him trying to trade the page away, this day. If he is town, it makes sense that he should keep it, too, as it theoretically ruins the mafiakill.

His use of the Wishbone isn't confirmable this Night, though, so he theoretically could have killed. Unless there's some info about that going around that I missed.

If you want to attack him, you'll need to aim at his day play, not the mechanical swamp we're all stuck in.
you're voting him

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: February 11, 2024, 04:54:03 pm »

It's even funnier when you realize those guys are Fallacy's scummates.
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: February 11, 2024, 04:57:22 pm »

I think we did a great job distancing, it just didn't help.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: February 11, 2024, 05:00:33 pm »

Definitely having shorter days in the next iteration (especially from D2 on).

Comedic highlights of the game that should be treasured for generations. Never change, Fal.
There were a lot of funny moments. One of my favourites was this moment in the Secret Basement:

Elephant Parade — 29/01/2024 16:42
If I ever use this, something has gone seriously wrong
Elephant Parade — 31/01/2024 08:18
Scratch that
notquitethere — 08/02/2024 00:33
FallacyofUrist and Toony join
Elephant Parade — 08/02/2024 00:38
This is MY secret basement and I don't appreciate you two barging in on it uninvited >:(

If that were the case, instead of time being the deciding factor on our powerset, it'd have been better to have the number of living Players be it instead.
Yes this is a nice way of implementing the restriction. I'll keep it in mind in future setups. While I think a lot of people were happy with their roles, I'm sorry yours wasn't as sparkling as it could have been. As my first BYOR there was bound to be a little unevenness, and I appreciate you giving your reflections on what didn't work so well.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 153