Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Lord of the Dark Dominion (SG)  (Read 3598 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lord of the Dark Dominion (SG)
« on: January 12, 2024, 11:31:07 am »

Lord of the Dark Dominion

Your head is anointed with blood. It burns hot against your skin as the priest traces the unholy symbols on your forehead. The sacrificial victim writhes next to you in his death throes. He was a prisoner in your dungeon, taken in battle. You close your eyes and try to tune out his cries.

The priest continues, calling on the dark gods of your people. You can smell the sweat mixed with incense wafting from his thick dark robes. You sweat as well, undeneath the elaborate finery they foiseted upon you for the ceremony.

Despite the heat, you feel a cold tendril slither up your spine. You can't be sure if it might only be your imagination, but you can't deny the flicker of the torches in your sight.

The priest steps back and takes the crown of your people from a proffered cushion. The crown is:

A.  A band of black iron, the crown of the Voldrung. Forged for the warrior kings of old, lords of war. Word: Sword.

B. A golden crown, crafted with gold from Iosung mines, and studded with rare jewels from a dozen lands brought by the ships of the Iosung. Word: Wealth.

C. A diadem of silver with a blood red ruby in the center distinguishes the crown of the Scylling, mages beyond compare. The jewel is said to contain the soul of the first Emperor, betrayed and trapped by his Scylling sorcerer. Word: Sorcery.

D. A circlet of ebony wings announces the lord of the Tiathul, rangers and wardens of the dark forest and masters of its secret paths. Word: Shadow.

Your coronation is a sparser affair than it might have been. Your cousin has claimed the lordship as well, and some among your glittering, grasping courtiers have flocked to their banner. It was your mother who died, but in the Dominion often one must prove themselves to be a worthy heir.

But you were the one closer to the crown, and now your cousin is in the hills with their army, and you have the lordship, only answerable to the God-King. Your rival claimant is said to be the opposite of you in many respects, being a:

Man or
 Woman

and is

-Cruel: In contrast your Virtue shines bright. Your nature and voting choices will lean towards the benevolent side. Your fellow Lords of the Dark will not admire you for this.

-Heroic: In contrast your villainy and ruthlessness marks you well. Your nature and voting choices will lean more towards evil options.Your fellow Lords will respect you more.

Guide a new Lord of the Dark Dominion, answerable only to the God-King. Master the pit of vipers that make up your court, and scheme against your rival lords. How high can you ascend before it all crashes down?

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 11:37:16 am by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Dark Dominion (SG)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 12:38:15 pm »

A , Woman , Heroic
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 01:37:09 pm »

A , Woman , Heroic
Sure, let's play it completely straight.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 02:33:09 pm »

Playing Heroic is literally the opposite of "playing it straight" in this game, it's basically turning up the difficulty. As this is inspired by APGTE, it might well be that being a heroic sort of bad guy doesn't get you enough (any) points with the heroes and it makes the villains hate you on principle. Which is quite an achievement, given that they have many of those to violate.

Anyway I'm torn on what, precisely, to vote for. I definitely want to go Heroic just because irritating the evil aristocracy sounds fun. After that, Wealth might allow for some more strategic play while Sword or Shadow makes it more likely that we, personally, will survive any dangerous situations.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 02:53:10 pm »

You're voting for the challenger's details. Voting Heroic+Woman means that we, as the player, will be a Cruel Man.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 02:54:47 pm »

I was having a bit of fun with the voting here, but just to clarify the gender and Cruel/Heroic vote is deciding the character of your rival cousin (and thus yourself by contrast).

The current vote of Woman/ heroic means you will be a villianous man.

Probably could have made that more clear!

You're voting for the challenger's details. Voting Heroic+Woman means that we, as the player, will be a Cruel Man.

Ninja’d :p
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2024, 03:08:57 pm »

D, Man, Cruel

I want to see how being Heroic with Shadow-based powers will play out.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 03:10:17 pm »

D, Man, Cruel

I want to see how being Heroic with Shadow-based powers will play out.
Yeah sure +1 to D, Man, Cruel.

Got to get that standard SG "just +1 whatever Glass said" going, right?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 03:15:03 pm »

Got to get that standard SG "just +1 whatever Glass said" going, right?
Or you could... not.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 03:35:07 pm »

That....was obviously a joke. I am very much not going to just +1 everything Glass says unless I agree with it, and since I don't have a strong opinion on the powers choice, well, why not?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 03:41:13 pm »

I mean, you should do whatever makes you happy, it's just that I've already seen this episode before.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 06:32:56 pm »

Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2024, 11:17:39 am »

A small smile creeps over your lips. You made it. The fights, the betrayals, after all of that you finally see your reward, to see your family and retainers bow and scrape to you.

Did you kill your mother? Yes/no vote, but with no’s… did you wish you did?

Spear butts slam into the ground rhythmically. Slow at first, but the tempo increases.

“Voldrung!” Shout the guards.

“Voldrung!” Shout the warriors, fists pounding against their chests.

“Voldrung!” Shout your Ironsworn, eyes as dark as their armor.

You lift your hands and soak in the acclaim.

The lordship of the Voldrung is yours!

Excepting your cousin, however.

Theila Voldrung, aspiring swordmistress, was at your mother’s side when she fell in battle against the Tiathul. Theila took charge of the warband, recovered your mother’s body, and put the Tiathul to flight. She was proclaimed on the spot by the warriors there, as is tradition among your people.

You only learned of her ascension when assassins seeking her favor came for you. Luckily you were saved by:

A. Your brother Avul Voldrung. Your younger brother. Came to your aid and stabbed the assassins in the back.

B. Lord Commander Lothel of the Ironsworn A grizzled veteran, he fought by your side against the assassins and led the Ironsworn to root out the rest of the assassins.

C. Sorceress Vial Your chief magician, she blew apart your attackers with her spells, and used their shades to lead to the conspirators.

D. Spymistress Piela: Master of spies and whispers, you found her standing over the bodies of the would be assassins and a list of conspirators in her hands. 

Note! Whoever you choose will be loyal to you. (Maybe not suicidally so, but you don’t have to worry about them.) The others will still exist and their loyalties will be randomized. One not chosen will betray you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4