Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A few fort gameplay questions  (Read 2160 times)

Enemjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few fort gameplay questions
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2024, 10:59:33 am »

I've been sending a 60 soldier army out for raids and I've found that my leading dwarf gains a +1 skill level in Military Tactics per battle - he's progressed from 0 to Expert this way. I'm not sure if raids involving significant fighting train tactics faster than those where I'm raiding a site with an insignificant defending force.

When I started my raiding campaign, I started with sites with populations around 20 and expanded as my forces improved - I'm now raiding sites with populations ~100. Most of the time my enemies were push overs but occasionally you meet a surprise. I had a dwarf die from a yak and at one point an elephant killed 6 skilled warriors despite my raid leader's Expert tactician skill.

Tomsod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few fort gameplay questions
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 02:14:56 am »

Yes, I recall reading before that Tactics skill can be trained reasonably fast, but I won't be able to spare (or train, or even equip) 60 soldiers any time soon, and I'm not cool with letting them die without good reason, so in the end I embarked with a proficient tactician, who is just about to retire as miner, then intern as a manager (organizer is useful for soldiers too), and then he can lead the military.  Hopefully proficient + full steel will be enough to avoid early losses.

On that topic, it's sad that mining apparently doesn't increase attributes anymore, I was hoping for at least some strength gain, but no luck (and he's been legendary+5 for a while now!)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:17:41 am by Tomsod »
Pages: 1 [2]