Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Entanglement - New Voters Always Welcome  (Read 2481 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entanglement - New Voters Always Welcome
« on: December 02, 2023, 11:37:34 pm »

You are Kevin, a high school junior and varsity basketball player at the climax of the greatest game of the season. Score's tied, the seconds are ticking down on the clock, and you have the ball. The other team's coverage decisions left you open and you can drive the ball straight to the net. You have the opportunity to win the big game for your team while scouts are watching, but one of your teammates calls for the ball. He's a senior, and not only has he been sinking balls all night, but he's also already locked into a college with a solid scholarship. He is the best shot on the team, but he just so happens to be where your coverage headed off to, leaving your teammate outnumbered. Your entire future could rest on the next few seconds.

You are Martin, a recovering alcoholic who just lost his job. No matter what you've done, you just can't shake the feeling like it's never enough to keep everything perfectly on track. You flip a sobriety token between your fingers, nervously rubbing the 7 on one side and the AA on the other. If things go wrong when you do everything right, why not do a little bit wrong if you can at least enjoy yourself? The bartender snaps you out of your thoughts, gesturing to your sobriety token and asking if you're a trade-in as he slides a small glass of whiskey in between you.

Choose:

A. Take the shot.
B. Pass.

Spoiler: Some Information (click to show/hide)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Entanglement - New Voters Always Welcome
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 11:43:33 pm »

Pass.

Kevin has another year to make an impression. Martin has seven years to throw away and more to likely struggle.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 11:49:51 pm »

Pass.

I wonder if the people exist in the same world as each other?
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 03:46:00 pm »

pass for sure. Love the wordplay.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 03:58:13 am »

Take the shot

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 07:35:44 pm »

Kevin passes the ball to his teammate and immediately hears jeering from the crowd, confused cries from his teammates on the sideline, and angered shouting from the coaches. His teammate is unable to overcome two man coverage and practically passes the ball himself to the other team as the buzzer sounds. As the game gets ready to head into overtime Kevin finds himself benched. His team ultimately loses, and Kevin sees himself slipping to a permanent spot on the bench before the season is through thanks in large part to continued poor calls on the court caused by getting in his own head. Kevin's chance to get the attention he wanted quickly fades as he enters his Senior year and ultimately decides to put his basketball dreams on hold for a couple years to save money and attend a community college instead...

You are Martin, and you haven't quite given in yet. A patron mutters an authentic "good for you" as you head toward the the heavy wooden door. A couple holds it open as they enter and you pass into the brisk night air. The silence is deafening as the very well-insulated building muffles the music and conversations within. You look down at your sobriety token, then turn around and look through one of the windows in the bar. People are enjoying themselves, talking, eating, drinking, watching one of a half-dozen televisions competing with one another and the jukebox. It's warm, and you might actually find some happiness here, however temporary, right?

You are Devin and you are standing outside the chapel on your wedding day. It's a small event, just you, your fiance, and friends and family you could count on two hands. Things have had their ups and downs, but as far as high school sweethearts go your relationship was probably one of the better ones. But that's where your doubt creeps in, isn't it? You're in your early 20s, you've barely even experienced life. What if you're locking yourself into something too soon, settling when something better might be coming just over the horizon? You are in love, but you hardly even know who you are yet. You thought about voicing this to your partner, but they've always been wholly committed and loving, and you felt it was unfair to foist unfounded doubts on them in an otherwise functional relationship. There is a warm comfort in familiarity, but you have so much more you could do and see in the world. You still have time to decide, right?

Choose:

A. Go through the doors.
B. Turn around and leave.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 08:00:30 pm »

Go through the doors

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 08:36:44 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 01:19:50 am »

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 03:41:57 am »

We don't have to drink in the bar, right? Eat something, watch TV, talk to people.

Go through the doors
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 05:04:18 am »

Go throughthe Doors

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 08:10:28 am »

Turn around and leave

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 11:39:37 am »

Don’t worry Martin, we got you! BRB,  throwing a marriage in the trash to keep you from drinking tonight.

Turn around and Leave
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 11:52:08 am »

I actually feel that "turn around" saves Devin at a cost to Martin.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 12:37:55 pm »

I actually feel that "turn around" saves Devin at a cost to Martin.
I was reading the “turn around” as Martin keeping to his sobriety, while going through the doors to enter the bar is re-engaging with the temptation to drink.

I don’t know about “saving Devin”, I kind of see it as a “grass is always greener situation”. It might be! He’s young and has a whole future ahead of him. But there’s also something admirable to commit to another, to make the best of what you have. But I don’t think either choice is clear/cut good or bad.

Also it’s the day of the wedding, bit of a dick move to pull out now :P

(Also damn MOP, two for two on coming with scenarios making me ponder life and the choices we make.)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4