Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41

Author Topic: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread  (Read 30813 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Israel-Gaza/Palestine war thread
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2023, 01:13:53 pm »

How romanticized. I don't recall the West ever imposing a duty to die a stupid death on their soldiers, let alone conscripts. They certainly wouldn't need to add "beyond the call of duty" to their posthumous award ceremonies.

I'm not calling for a complete abjucation of reducing all risk to soldiers, I'm saying that when people let "neccesary" become the absolution for "evil" in the "neccesary evil", then "evil" becomes the default course of action. There has to be a balance, it cannot become victory at all costs.

"Hey, guys. Have fun in your war. Please, don't bother normal part of humanity. Refugees who want to get away from this insanity are welcome."

Something between this and "can you two please sit down, shut the fuck up and get some adults into the room" pretty much *is* a lot of peoples opinion on the Israel/Hamas conflict, yes.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 01:20:29 pm by MorleyDev »

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2023, 01:21:16 pm »

How romanticized. I don't recall the West ever imposing a duty to die a stupid death on their soldiers, let alone conscripts. They certainly wouldn't need to add "beyond the call of duty" to their posthumous award ceremonies.

I'm not calling for a complete abjucation of reducing all risk to soldiers, I'm saying that when people let "neccesary" become the absolution for "evil" in the "neccesary evil", then "evil" becomes the default course of action. There has to be a balance, it cannot become victory at all costs.

Well, I'm glad you and others are willing to negotiate a realistic limit. I've met far too many pacifists, hopefully bots or disinformation agents, demanding restraint to the point of a suicide pact.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2023, 01:23:58 pm »

For a tangent to compare: It's similar to my attitude for police, in that there has to be a level of accepted risk to police officers for them to be effective at keeping the peace without becoming civilian executioners. Sure, a random pull over in the UK even *could* pull a gun out of nowhere and murder the officer in cold blood, but police officers treating every random pullover as a possible guntoting maniac is just a worse outcome for everyone.

Soldiers are obviously dealing with highly stressful situations, but to give an example to my understanding there seem to be many situations where (from the USA especially), death-from-above drone strikes are being used to avoid relatively lower risks to soldier lives, in situations where doing so is accepting very high risks to civilian lives.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2023, 01:28:57 pm by MorleyDev »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2023, 05:37:55 am »

A senior Hamas official suggested the terror group could recognize the State of Israel in order to end the current war between Israel and the Gaza-based group

interview itself, paywalled

As if... being militarily destroyed and having your leadership hunted by Massad tend to change minds. But it is too little, too late.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2023, 01:10:16 pm »

The PLO recognized Israel as part of the 1993 Oslo Accords, but Hamas has refused to recognize the Jewish state. Just a few years ago, it released an updated policy document with amended political rhetoric, although the terror group still views the destruction of Israel as one of its major objectives.

"We now recognize you exist, but we still want you to not exist."
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2023, 02:25:47 pm »

Nice interview of the ambassador of Israel in the UK

While Sky News focuses on her words about "the two-state solution is not a possibility" and Twitter went rather mad over it...  I really-really liked what I heard - Demilitarization (read long-term occupation), deradicalization,  education reform, Marshal plan style reconstruction with the help of moderate Arab countries, kicking UNRWA out... It is what I would done. Any diplomatic process is possible only after deradicalization is done. Because right now, a two-state solution is, indeed, not a possibility.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2023, 03:09:10 pm »

[I really-really liked what I heard - Demilitarization (read long-term occupation), deradicalization,  education reform, Marshal plan style reconstruction with the help of moderate Arab countries, kicking UNRWA out... It is what I would done. Any diplomatic process is possible only after deradicalization is done. Because right now, a two-state solution is, indeed, not a possibility.

You know I'm pretty much on your side re: your own country, right, before I change the whole context of pretty much the same words..?

As in, that's what Russian diplomats (on up) have said. Not my opinion -> Demilitarising: definitely, at least of your military and any vestage of Western assistance. Deradicalising: well you've got all those Nazis, as you know. Education reform: they'll extend their actual revisionism once they gain any/all further control. (I'm not sure I've heard much about reconstruction, Crimea and those 'accidentally/Ukraine destroyed cities like Mariupol' excepted, so skip that.) Throwing out all EU/US/NATO control. And Putin's latest "national interview" basically went with "yeah, our (war-)aims are the same, still..." and he's as uninterested in 'diplomatic solutions' as you are. "The Ukraine" is of course Russia. <- Not my opinion

This is not my attempt to indicate an "equivalence", just that I'd be surprised if others don't see this sort of thing and run with it. Or interpret it just like they feel like.

There's optics here, and, for all my general sympathy with Israel, it's messy for them/you to use this language. (How long did the US get as 'post 9/11 honeymoon' before they overextended and under-diplomacied? Israel has probably burnt through the majority of any sympathetic goodwill they had immediately after this event. Even though I see no good leaving Hamas to regroup, I don't think they played it well this way, either. Greater minds than I will know exactly what the optimal reaction should be, but it's not this. Speaking as clearly more personally warhawky than others here, even.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 03:13:15 pm by Starver »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 14, 2023, 10:10:55 pm »

The lack of a Ukrainian attack on Russia prior to the war is a pretty critical thing missing in that comparison. Maybe some Ukrainians throwing rocks at Russian officers, at least?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2023, 12:12:31 am »

@Bumber
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2023, 01:16:58 am »

The lack of a Ukrainian attack on Russia prior to the war is a pretty critical thing missing in that comparison. Maybe some Ukrainians throwing rocks at Russian officers, at least?

Certainly. But the point is such that the above ought to be to the detriment of Russia (as if it needs to be more - and as if the Ruszian apologists will accept the lack of provocation), rather than to the benefit of Israel (giving them a 'by' for the same apparent level of jingoism).

Appearance is everything means a lot. And creating an open-goal for detractors is... unfortunate.

Reacting in the 'wrong' way (arguably also what Russia did in anewname's spoiler, in leiu of some sort of more intelligent trade treaty that opened up alternate markets in return for minimal competition, perhaps) can go very wrong.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2023, 03:07:31 am »

Well, if you believe that Russia=Israel, Ukrainians=Palestinians then everything said above makes perfect sense. I can spot quite a few obvious differences between Israel and Russia and between Ukrainians and Palestinians but one may have another opinion and think that those entities are nearly identical. Many do.

Note that there is one big similarity - Peace between Ukraine and Russia is impossible until one of the nations (or both) will change dramatically.  There may be tactical ceasefires, pauses between wars, but no true peace. Dramatic change can be either forced by occupation and forceful modification of the culture of the occupied country or some other dramatic event that will cause a tectonic shift in one or both countries.

Note that post-WW2 Germany was changed by occupation and forceful modification so doing this is not always evil. Just like limiting the freedom of an individual and forcing them to change is not always evil.

_______

Fun fact. I am not the only one unhinged Ukrainian, there are many of us - https://kiis.com.ua/?lang=eng&cat=reports&id=1334&page=1
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 04:40:58 am by Strongpoint »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2023, 02:16:48 pm »

This is what happens in a world where people no longer even trust "universal" gestures of surrender like white flag - because people use that symbol as a ruse.

While I would default to "trust but verify", I can totally understand why people no longer just take such gestures at their face value.

Again, this is why war sucks - it just eliminates any semblance of civility from human interaction.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2023, 02:40:48 pm »

It is a major FU and tells a few unpleasant things about the discipline of Israeli forces and their respect for their own rules of engagement. I am seeing more and more evidence that their reservist units severely lack proper military attitude... as if professional forces are actually better at this kind of stuff...

But yeah, perfidy also causes this. There is not a single accident of Ukrainian troops being killed by Ukrainian troops simply because Russians used Ukrainian uniforms before. And many, many Russian soldiers had no chance of surrender after fake surrenders happened before that. And Ukrainian civilians were mistakingly killed, too.

(It is not something you'll generally find in the news, I just know it from actual sources)

What actually surprises me - how quickly and openly Israel published it. The Ukrainian army would never admit something like this. Not until pushed against the wall with overwhelming evidence and even then they would keep telling half-truths.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2023, 03:34:19 pm »

This is what happens in a world where people no longer even trust "universal" gestures of surrender like white flag - because people use that symbol as a ruse.
Aye there's a reason why Geneva conventions and standard rules of engagement have warships fight under their own country's flag and their soldiers fight in their own country's uniforms to be afforded wartime protections regarding POWs and surrenders. False surrenders and using unarmed ambulances as troop transports, using the enemy's uniforms e.t.c. void wartime protections (WWII commandos wore their own uniforms behind enemy lines, so in theory should have had their surrenders accepted, whilst a saboteur or spy in plain clothes or enemy uniform would not). Even irregular forces who don't have a uniform are expected to wear some marking, e.g. an armband or headband, marking them as belonging to a combat unit.

Things get more challenging, both on moral and pragmatic grounds, when a conventional army is fighting an irregular force that is integrated into a civilian population. Whether Gaza, Afghanistan, Malaya, Vietnam, Ireland, Iraq, Algeria, even the nascent revolutionary American republics in their wars of independence - how does a conventional army deal with fighting an irregular force interspersed in a civilian population? Breaking the customs and norms of who is an acceptable target and when they are an acceptable target is a politically vital consideration. An urban insurgency in particular is a sensitive issue. If you strike at someone who is a member of an insurgency, even if they are not engaged in active hostilities, you create the new standards for rules of engagement. Any military target is a valid military target, even if they are not engaged in active hostilities. The end result is soldiers and sailors getting targeted, even when they're off duty or just walking about the street doing their normal business. It's a bit like WWI snipers on both sides agreeing not to kill soldiers having a bath or using the latrines. Mutual respect, trust and custom often affords more protection and likelihood of peace than laws. And obviously it's hard to get two sides to trust one another, when their professions are the waging of war against their foes. No easy solution.

While I would default to "trust but verify", I can totally understand why people no longer just take such gestures at their face value.

Again, this is why war sucks - it just eliminates any semblance of civility from human interaction.
The IDF report basically lays the blame on two things:
1. The IDF soldiers majorly fucked up. Visibly unarmed, calling for help, no shirt to conceal a suicide vest, speaking Hebrew e.t.c., it's why they teach officers to not get involved in direct combat so they can avoid getting laser-focused on something small and missing the big picture

2. There was no protocol in place for "what to do if encountering escaped hostages" because there was no expectation that hostages could escape captivity. Seems like a pretty inevitable fubar if soldiers are told to expect terrorism, ambushes, but not to expect Israeli civilians. Human brain is good at filtering out information it is not primed to consider relevant

IMO currently Israel's military is suffering under the constraints of its political leadership. Rescuing hostages and eliminating Hamas leadership require different operations. It would have made sense to do anything to get the Israeli hostages back first, have Bibi be replaced, then get to work building up intelligence on where the Hamas leadership all are before planning a major operation. Going in blind without adequate intelligence when this whole mess started from a lack of intelligence and a self-defeating policy of empowering Hamas and refusing to negotiate with moderate authorities is compounding mispolicy and failure with misaction. Especially since between waning tolerance in the West for the deteriorating humanitarian conditions of Palestinians and the cost of mobilising much of the Israeli workforce means there must be clarity in what exactly is to be achieved. Otherwise it's going to be a repeat of Libya and Iraq, that whole "we did it, mission accomplished, we killed terrorism once and for all" mentality that guarantees doing the same fight over and over again forever.

So what will this war buy with the blood of the all dead? Not an end to the conflict but a period of calm for Israelis that will end again, necessarily, because the underlying conflict still exists. Politically, perhaps, it will guarantee that the febrile rightwing coalition of Netanyahu lasts another year or longer with him at its helm.

And it will end as the last two Gazan conflicts have ended. Egypt, a historic broker of ceasefires in Gaza, will calculate a point when Hamas has been hurt enough and public opinion over its inaction is beginning to become damaging. It will step in with a deal that will see it talk once again, albeit in a limited fashion, to Israel – and at last to regulate a situation it does not want to see spiral out of control.

Then this stupidest of wars will stop.

Israel's tanks will pull back to their bases. The Gazan rocket teams will lick their wounds, rebuild their arsenals in the metal shops and commission new murals for the walls to sanctify their fallen dead in the public memory.
And the civilian dead will stay dead, discarded pieces in a pointless game of chess.
It's amusing that this article from 2014 talking about Netanyahu riding this war with no win state to another year in power and this article from 2023 describing the exact same thing with the exact same person shows how little has changed with Netanyahu at the helm.

Given his weak political position and the widespread expectation that he could be sidelined once the fighting ends in Gaza, they said, Netanyahu has a strong motive to prolong the military offensive.
“He has every incentive to keep the war going, to ensure his political survival,” one U.S. lawmaker who asked not to be named told NBC News.

At the same time, Israel is increasingly isolated internationally as the Palestinian death toll in the conflict has reached 18,700, with 70% of them women and children, according to Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry. The vast majority of the territory's 2.2 million people are displaced, and half of them are estimated to face starvation, according to the U.N.
A current Israeli official said that Netanyahu is pivoting to the right as the domestic political cost of his government’s failure to prevent the Oct. 7 attack looms. The attack, which resulted in the deaths of 1,200 people and the kidnapping of about 240, was the worst terrorist strike in Israeli history.

And the only thing that changes is Israel horrifies the world it depends on for support

Her relatives and the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem say a mother and daughter were killed inside the Holy Family Church complex on Saturday by sniper fire.
The BBC has asked the IDF for comment.

The Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem said two Christian women - named as Nahida and her daughter Samar - were shot and killed while walking to a building in the church complex known as the Sister's Convent.
"One was killed as she tried to carry the other to safety," a statement said. Seven more people were shot and wounded as they "tried to protect others inside the church compound" on Saturday.

The patriarchate said no warning had been given and added: "They were shot in cold blood inside the premises of the parish, where there are no belligerents."
The patriarchate said that earlier on Saturday an Israeli tank fired on part of the church compound with 54 disabled people inside. It caused a fire that destroyed the building's generator, the only source of electricity, and some of the disabled people can no longer use their respirators, the statement said.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 41