Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30

Author Topic: Cardhood - First Expansion is now a thing!  (Read 13501 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Cardhood - First Expansion is now a thing!
« on: November 30, 2023, 12:12:38 am »

Welcome to the world of Cardhood!

Kind of like Gridhood, but instead of a Grid its cards! This is one of those experimental games that may or may not last very long.

The goal for the civilization player is to survive, avoid starvation, grow their civilization, deal with the god player's nonsense and trying not to starve!

The rules are simple for a smart person. If you aren't that, there's a decent chance that you will be able to figure it out too.

Civilization Player Rules
1. At the start of your turn, you will draw a number of cards equal to how many civilians are in your civilization. The GM deals out the cards.
2. Most cards have a cost that you need to pay to play it. The cost is the icons that are in the top right corner of the card. Resources paid are lost, with the exception of the Civilian icons, which only require the labor of a civilian for that turn.
3. You can play as many cards in your turn as you want, as long as you can pay the costs.
4. If a card has a Red Border, it remains in play until something happens to make it leave play.
5. Each turn you must expend one Food for each civilian that you have. If your turn ends and you did not do that, then any unfed civilians are lost!
6. You can end your turn whenever you want. When your turn ends, you discard all cards in your hand. Some cards have effects when discarded.
7. If you have any questions about the game mechanics, ask the GM. All questions should either be in thread, or via direct message. Do not use the Bay12 Discord channel, the GM rarely checks that.
8. Keep track of your cards that you have in play, as well as your resources with your turn posts.

God Player Rules
0. God players start with 1 FP.
1. Gods work on a different timescale than that of mortals. Once per real life day, you gain 1 FP! The exact time it refreshes is the time this post was initially created, which is... A bit after midnight in my timezone! Maybe I have a problem
2. You can use FP for a quantity of things. One such thing is to create cards, which will be added to player's draw piles!
3. The cost for creating cards is based on this formula:
- The first Zero Star, One Star and Two Star card you make cost 1 FP. This is your 'introduction set' which does not contribute to the cost multipliers of cards.
- A god may create a "Terrain" card for 20 FP. When they do that, they may also create six zero star, three one star and one two star card that will only be available if that Terrain card is in play. (Note that while some cards may count as being terrain, only true terrain cards add a set of other cards to the draw pile)
- The first card you make that is not part of the introductory set or a god's terrain set costs 2 FP
- Each card after that costs 2 more FP than the last.
4. Another thing is you can obtain a pool of random cards from the GM! A set of five cards costs 1 FP. These cards are added to your 'hand'. Once on a player's turn, you may give them any card from your hand by sending it to them with a PM. The card is not officially added to their hand until the next time they end a turn. These cards might include cards from your own set, but not that of other gods. Cards may be given via PM. (The GM hands out cards when it is convenient for them)
5. Whenever you obtain a pool of cards from the GM, all cards in your hand are removed from the game. You can, however, purchase multiple sets at the same time to have a hand of more than five.
6. A god may abolish a card that they have previously created. Abolished cards will never be drawn again, and count as if they never were made to begin with for the purpose of creating new cards in the future. This costs 0 FP but there is no refund for the created card.
7. More god features might come in the future.

At first this game is only accepting Civilization Applications. This will change soon. Note that this is expected to be a very fast updating game. Please do not apply to be a civilization if you are not planning to post at least once per day.

Spoiler: God Application (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Card Template for Gods (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 11:23:54 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cardhood
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 12:53:53 am »

Civilization Name: Annwfyn
Species Name: Elves
Species Description/Abilities: Those who came from the Otherworld. Blessed with long lives and three magics: illusion, transformation, and transportation.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 03:07:44 pm »

Spoiler: The Sixth Pack (click to show/hide)

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 04:35:44 pm »

Civilization Name: The Flock of a Thousand Feathers
Species Name: Crows
Species Description/Abilities: These crows are ordinary in every way except for the fact that their feet have two toes in the front and two toes in the back. This allows them to have more flexibility in grasping objects. They also fly faster than normal crows.
she/her

Strif3

• Bay Watcher
  • The vulture on your shoulder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 05:31:56 pm »

their feet have two toes in the front and two toes in the back.
(This is called Zygodactyly. The more you know!)

Civilization Name: Zihsal'has (Village in the Bog)
Species Name: Salamander-kin
Species Description/Abilities: Short and stocky amphibious salamander-like folk with external gills. Natural survivors, with an ability to regenerate lost limbs. Neotenic in appearance and often in behaviour, too.
Freedom is not a spectrum.
Put me in chains, or stop telling me what to do.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 10:27:47 pm »

Civilization Name: Torkal League
Species Name: Ratfolk
Species Description/Abilities: 1.25m tall bipedal anthropomorphic rats, with good ability to handle difficult terrain (swimming, climbing, fitting through tight spaces and so forth).

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2023, 11:54:28 pm »

Civilization Name: Qajen
Species Name: Naga
Species Description/Abilities: The Naga are a reptilian race with the lower body of a gigantic snake terminating in a scaly humanoid upper half. A durable race, they are expert builders, a talent which they use to make elaborate tombs for the carefully preserved corpses of their dead. Their necropoli are carefully tended too by their caste of noble priests, driven by the belief that the dead will will return when needed to lend their Knowledge and Strength.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 04:38:34 pm »

Civilization applications are closed. God player applications will be a thing, but not yet. Game will start when I finish making a whole whack-load of cards.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 07:23:32 am »

6. You can end your turn whenever you want. When your turn ends, you discard all cards in your hand. Some cards have effects when discarded.

Is there a discard pile? If so, is there a mechanic for refreshing the deck?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 11:50:23 am »

Cards that are discarded will cease to exist, though some effects might persist until they are triggered even after a card leaves play. I will take care of player 'decks'. Each player will have a 'draw pile' which can produce any of the cards that can be drawn by that player, which can change as the game progresses.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 11:14:18 pm »

Welp. Here goes nothing!
Welcome Starvelings, to the world of Cardhood!

Every single civilization application has been accepted. Each player will start with 5 Civilians and 20 Food, which you should not take for granted!

Shortly after I post this I will send you your starting hand of five cards. To play a card, post it in this game thread. It is recommended to post as many card activations in a single post as possible, but not strictly necessary.

When you are ready to end your turn, post End Turn in bold at the bottom of your post, and send me a PM including your Civilization Name in the subjet line requesting the amount of cards you need to draw for the start of your next turn.

I will hand out cards whenever it is convenient for me to do so. It is entirely possible that some players will have more turns processed than others.

If you have any questions, be sure to ask them. I am sure that I missed at least one thing.

Mission: Divine Intervention
The gods have not yet descended upon this world. A certain number of "Prayer" cards need to be played to unlock God applications! All players who draw and play the card contribute to this mission.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2023, 12:29:36 am »

What do the star icons in the lower right corner of some cards mean?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 01:11:01 am »

A fair question. The stars indicate the card's rarity.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cardhood - Game has started!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 01:14:53 am »

Civilization Name: Qajen
Population: 5
Food: 20

Play Migration -5 Labor

Should I do anything special to indicate that I'm drawing a card mid turn?

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 01:19:16 am »

1. About the card Pack Hunt: So I would be able to draw an additional card next turn if this card is discarded due to the effect of another card? It does count as having an on-discard effect, right?
2. About the card Lupine Fury: It has an on-discard effect; does it apply upon itself and negate its own cost?
3. Terrain cards will have red borders, I presume?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30