Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 207

Author Topic: FBYOR 6 - Game Over - Last Laughs Of The Dead  (Read 79144 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Good luck balancing a 17+ player game, hah hah hah.
I have only myself to blame. I'll try for a Thursday start, but it might just have to take longer than that.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

Aim for Thursday, but start next Monday.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ask Meph for reviews too.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (15 / 15) - First Draft
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2023, 08:29:18 am »

Yes, the invitation was nice, but I have severe mafia burnout and I don't expect that to change soon.
Same, I've taken a step back this year... but I'm powerless to resist a reunion.

I'm just going to be chill, measured, reasonable and play a good game. No wild manic swings, no bizarre gambits, just keeping cool.

Fallacy, here's my advice from playing a bunch of your games. I'm sure you're already considering all this, but let me reiterate:

- You've got creativity in bundles but you tend towards needless complexity. Powers can be fun without bucket loads of moving parts.
- Don't include any power or combination of powers that will end the game prematurely
- It's less ironclad a rule, but it's generally better not to wipe out too many players in one go (however you want to unpack that), or make someone's wincon unavoidably unwinnable based on another player's night actions.
- Get another set of eyeballs on it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the interest of summoning Jim. (And an example of NQT's post.) Dragon deez nuts.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2023, 12:57:13 pm »

All of these, and also a few more:

- Give the player a sense of warning with their abilities if they could hurt themself or their team with them.  Obviously, people should know if they might lose by using that ability.
- An addendum to that:  Very few--but preferably no--mystery abilities unless their role is mystery themed.  Players should always know what their ability can and should be used for.

Not a hard or fast rule, but one I think you should know:
Sometimes, you leave out the things you're REALLY GOOD at by going too big, which is the feeling that the role I brought is the role I got.  Always loved when my role really felt like what I imagined it, even if it felt underpowered.  That's not exactly helpful for balancing, but it is helpful in the design process, because a fun role will always be remembered.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2023, 01:47:01 pm »

... the things you're REALLY GOOD at ... the feeling that the role I brought is the role I got.  Always loved when my role really felt like what I imagined it, even if it felt underpowered.  That's not exactly helpful for balancing, but it is helpful in the design process, because a fun role will always be remembered.
Fal is really good at that though.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (14 / 14) - First Draft
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2023, 03:05:45 pm »

Oh... that maybe sounds about right.  I think I tried to give you an easier goal to attain because you were newer, but who knows?  I try stuff all the time, so it could've been me trying something new, but I'm glad you had fun!  I miss running games, and I really want to run another one.  I kinda want to try my hand at a Paranormal, just to see what I can do with it, but I'll always be up for more BYORs.

It was hugely appreciated, and probably good for me, really good, for my future in mafia (interrupted though that proved to be!).  My first two games were incredibly challenging, beginner mafias that turned into, to my newbie mind, intense and hard-fought wars.

What you gave me was actually fun, incredibly low pressure, and guided me to accept character deaths inside the game and focus on play and being playful at all times, especially after a death.  I wasn't at all joking when I informed after that game ended:

I have to say, I'm incredibly grateful for this Wincon ... This role taught me that Mafia -can- indeed be fun!

I was playing before... but not for fun :P
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2023, 03:15:16 pm »

Very few--but preferably no--mystery abilities unless their role is mystery themed.
>.>

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I turned down the invite earlier, but this is looking like a once-in-a-decade game. In.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Recruitment for mafia games has been a bit of a slog lately. I have identified the flaw in the typical recruitment process, however. The typical mafia game recruitment process is passive, just sitting back and waiting for players to trickle in.

Considering the current sluggish state of the subforum, I will be sending out personalized invitations.
at 18 players, I believe you have succeeded in your mission.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Signups close for good in 5 hours 57 minutes.

I'd just like to let you know I'm taking your design advice to heart.

Notable games archive or bust, here we go.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow.  More than 50% of invited players said yes...  and maybe some more still to come!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile

This is going to be a fiasco I mean fun.

Mafia drives me up the wall but I want to see where this is going.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This definitely does seem like it's going to be a legendary game and a thursday start is technically workable for me...

but I really need to spend my mafia time on the archive rather than playing. Even if I did play I would not be able to maintain my usual post frequency (for better or for worst).

I know how school is, though. I'll probably ask Meph to set up a spectator chat in his Discord server, so for you and anyone else that wants to spectate instead of seeing this machine from the inside, ask him about that.

I'll accept the offer to be made a spectator though.

I'd offer to review the roles and share my opinion on balance, but I'd only be able to start looking at them on Wednesday and I don't have enough experience to give truly informed opinions. I'd potentially do more harm than good. Gotta reign in that habit of making too many commitments.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 207