Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 207

Author Topic: FBYOR 6 - Game Over - Last Laughs Of The Dead  (Read 78938 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
FBYOR 6 - Game Over - Last Laughs Of The Dead
« on: November 23, 2023, 07:55:50 pm »

I see you. That's right, I see you, in particular. Ideally, I'll have sent you your personalized invitation by the time that you are reading this, but it's very realistic that this will not be the case.

Here's how this is going to go.

Recruitment for mafia games has been a bit of a slog lately. I have identified the flaw in the typical recruitment process, however. The typical mafia game recruitment process is passive, just sitting back and waiting for players to trickle in.

Considering the current sluggish state of the subforum, I will be sending out personalized invitations.

Each and every invitation will be unique and personalized to the player I sent it to. Maximum Spin has promised to join if I send him a personalized invitation, so that's one player down already.

I'll be starting with a minimum of nine players. In an ideal world, I'd start with thirteen players, in my dreamworld, I'd start with sixteen players, but those are stretch goals, in today's player-sourcing environment.

To join the game, just post some variety of 'in' in this thread before or after I send you a personalized invitation. If you join before I send you a personalized invitation, I will send you one after the fact, so don't worry about missing out.

Please also send me a role name and/or role theme, which I will use to construct your in-game role. These can be anything within the rules of the forum, though I reserve the right to reject submissions I believe I can't work with. I will avoid doing this if at all possible, though.

Example role names include Penguin Mob Boss, Batman, The Ultimate Library of Ultimateness, Anomaly, Risk of Rain, and _.

Example role themes include Expendable Goons, Technological Development, Ability Gifting, Confusion, Difficulty Stages, and [ERROR_69:GATE_OF_DREAMS_WHEN].

Spoiler: What Is This? (click to show/hide)

Some more specific rules, including some things I'm explicitly stating now:

Day Phases last 72 hours for the first and second Days, and 48 hours henceforth, though they still end immediately on Hammer. I reserve the right to extend the duration as needed if a player replaces into the game, a real-life emergency occurs, or an extreme Day Ability resolves. Night Phases last 48 hours on the first and second Nights, and 24 hours henceforth, though they may be shortened if every player submits their desired actions or lack thereof quickly.

No editing your posts, and no directly quoting any PMs you have received from me. You are freely permitted to paraphrase. If you have access to a private chat where your alignment is mod-verified, such as the scumchat, you may quote PMs from me in there. If you have access to a private chat without alignment verification included, you do not possess this privilege. Never directly quote PMs from me in the main thread no matter your alignment.

After the Day is ended via hammer, do not post. You may edit your posts to nullify content posted after the hammer, which is an exception to the above rule. If the Day ends via deadline and not hammer, you may continue to post until I close the thread, but further votes will not count and whoever was Executed may not post (except to produce a single 'bah' post useful for mockery, a joke, or humor, but not permitted to contain game-related content).

Don't be too much of an asshole. Some aggression is fine, too much will have me stepping out of my palace to warn you to cut it out.

By default you will not be informed when redirection (that is, the changing of your action target by the use of an ability) has occurred during the Night. Sorry.

I'm using sane Natural Action Resolution. While I reserve the right to make super-priority actions, by default your Night actions are resolved according to the Natural Action Resolution as seen on mafiascum wiki, paradox resolution handled via the emergency list, and then rolling for initiative if even that fails.

Again, please talk to me about your role so I can help you understand it. You can't just say 'what am I missing', but you can ask me about any details you like or even make absurd hypotheticals. Exact wording really, truly matters, and subtle details can help or hinder you, so be aware of them.

On action failures: there are multiple different types of action failure. Most will give you a result of Your action failed. when they occur. Let's go over the most common types.

Spoiler: Action Failure Types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A Guide To Abilities (click to show/hide)

Let's talk about alignments. There will be a Town team, and there will probably be a Mafia team. I may or may not include Third Parties, based both on randomness and player count, and in an especially big setup I may or may not include a second scumteam with a name such as Werewolves or Gamers. Or in short, there will be a Town, and there will also be an anti-Town, which will probably be the Mafia.

But for your reference here is the Total List Of Alignments. I will not include any alignments outside of these, and the win conditions will always be as stated.

Spoiler: Alignments (click to show/hide)

Total Number of Personalized Invitations Sent So Far: 35.

Player List:
Spoiler: Spoiled For Posterity (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 10:32:55 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (0 / 9+)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 08:39:55 pm »

IN

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (0 / 9+)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 08:44:39 pm »

IN.

From my invitation, I think this will be a confusing game huh.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (2 / 9+)
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 10:03:40 pm »

INvited, so I shall play.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (3 / 9+)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 11:03:09 pm »

Equally invited, gloriously so!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (4 / 9+)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 03:19:43 pm »

flattery /flăt′ə-rē/
noun
The act or practice of flattering.
Excessive or insincere praise.
The act of one who flatters; false, insincere, or venal praise; obsequiousness; adulation; cajolery.

(I jest)

I was taken in by it, however, so more fool me, I suppose.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (5 / 9+)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2023, 03:55:34 pm »

Thanks for the Invitation
she/her

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (5 / 9+)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 04:39:58 pm »

I got around to joining.

I'm not going to do the bolding-in thing, you can't make me.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (7 / 9+)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 05:34:05 pm »

How could I say no to a personal request?

She won't say yes, but you should invite Tiruin as well, for old time's sake.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 05:45:04 pm »

I didn't plan on playing any more mafia this year.
I mean, it's a major time investment and I just took on extra commitments.
I feel like it's emotionally draining to play. Causes a lot of unecessary arguments and a bad mental state. Which is why I don't play much. Makes me into a nastier person too, and I don't want to be like that.
Still, I was personally invited and it's hard to say no to that. I don't get a lot of those, don't think anybod- oh come on! really? that counts?

Welp. Against my better judgement, guess I'll start looking for a role to pm Fal.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2023, 05:55:17 pm »

I didn't plan on playing any more mafia this year.
I mean, it's a major time investment and I just took on extra commitments.
I feel like it's emotionally draining to play. Causes a lot of unecessary arguments and a bad mental state. Which is why I don't play much. Makes me into a nastier person too, and I don't want to be like that.
Still, I was personally invited and it's hard to say no to that. I don't get a lot of those, don't think anybod- oh come on! really? that counts?

Welp. Against my better judgement, guess I'll start looking for a role to pm Fal.

qft

Mafia makes me an asshole.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (9 / 9+)
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2023, 06:05:31 pm »

Well, judging by how we're already at the minimum player count, I'd say the invitation approach works pretty well.

I'll keep sending out more invitations and accepting signups until, I dunno, Monday or Tuesday. At that point, it'll be onto setup and role design.

I'll try to prune the complexity a bit compared to my past setups, but this is still going to be a BYOR, so.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2023, 06:11:54 pm »

Make sure to send out more. Jim, Roden, webadict. All the people. New and old. Hat and Toonyman.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2023, 06:12:52 pm »

According to his sig, he’s sent out 18. I didn’t even know there were 18 players to send invites to.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2023, 06:14:46 pm »

Well, judging by how we're already at the minimum player count, I'd say the invitation approach works pretty well.

I'll keep sending out more invitations and accepting signups until, I dunno, Monday or Tuesday. At that point, it'll be onto setup and role design.

I'll try to prune the complexity a bit compared to my past setups, but this is still going to be a BYOR, so.
How do you plan on trimming down the complexity with that role I sent you? :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 207