Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 207

Author Topic: FBYOR 6 - Game Over - Last Laughs Of The Dead  (Read 78986 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (14 / 14) - First Draft
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2023, 06:37:38 pm »

True.  But, even if they don't, I still gotta try because I'm sure I could find just a little bit more of myself to hate if I don't.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (18 / 18) - Second Draft
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2023, 06:42:04 pm »

For all that webadict gets angry sometimes, he is a very good mafia player. Both at pointing out flaws in game and out of it. What makes him dangerous to listen to also makes him useful to listen to, and that's knowing the game and helping people play better. Or this could be Night Tric talking.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (18 / 18) - Running Simulations
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2023, 09:45:14 pm »

Alright, I think I've finished the second draft roles. I'm going to run some simulations, and if they don't turn up any problems, I might send out the roles and get the game started tonight.

Edit.

This is horrifying. I think it's a balanced-ish kind of horrifying, but don't be surprised if I need to take extra time to process Night actions until a bunch of players have died.

Edit 2.

At a certain point, barring the use of a supercomputer (which I do not have), you can't possibly predict every outcome. I can't truly know how balanced this is, but at the very least, I don't think it's broken.

It's just an absolute mess.

I have PMs to send out, flavor to write, and setup to do, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 10:57:08 pm by FallacyofUrist »
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (18 / 18) - Starting
« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2023, 12:03:04 am »

And here, we, go.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 aka Personalized Invitation Mafia (18 / 18) - Sending Out Roles
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2023, 03:54:31 am »

Remember, Fallacy. When you're looking at all these players' night actions, remember - you have only yourself to blame.

Eighteen people sat in a comfortable lounge. You'd be forgiven for thinking that some of them weren't plotting murder. Nonetheless though, several of them held deep, violent, undoubtedly ill intentions.

A profound violence waited within the hearts of the evildoers, ready to lash out when the sun's binding rays abate.

For the moment though, everything remained peaceful.

Then Jim Groovester pulled out a daykill, and much screaming and yelling ensued before he set it back in his holster, menacingly.

Jim Groovester reveals The Best Defense.

(1-Shot, Day) The Best Defense [target]: Is a good offense. At the start of the game, you publicly reveal this action and the fact that you have it. If your target is voting for you, you kill your target.

Quote from: Votebox
BlackHeartKabal (0):
Crystalizedmire (0):
Egan_BW (0):
Elephant Parade (0):
EuchreJack (0):
hector13 (0):
Imp (0):
Jim Groovester (0):
Knightwing64 (0):
Lenglon (0):
Maximum Spin (0):
notquitethere (0):
Secretdorf (0):
sofanthiel (0):
The Canadian kitten (0):
ToonyMan (0):
TricMagic (0):
webadict (0):

No Execution (0):

10 votes to hammer.

Not Voting (18): BlackHeartKabal, Crystalizedmire, Egan_BW, Elephant Parade, EuchreJack, hector13, Imp, Jim Groovester, Knightwing64, Lenglon, Maximum Spin, notquitethere, Secretdorf, sofanthiel, The Canadian kitten, ToonyMan, TricMagic, webadict

Since I don't want to have to end the Day at 3 AM my time, I'm adjusting the Day end time a little. More time, not less, though.

Day 1 ends at Monday, 8 PM, Central time. You may now post.

A few minor rules reminders:

A little aggression is fine as part of the game, but try to be respectful of each other. You're playing a game, and it's always okay to take breaks from it if you want to or need to.

No editing your posts, unless you accidentally post after the hammer, in which case you may edit your posts to nullify their content.

No directly quoting private communications with the mod, which does include your role PMs. Paraphrasing is fine, and if you have access to an alignment-confirmed private chat, you may quote private mod communications there.

It's totally fine and fair to ask me as many questions about your role as you like via PM. Broader mechanics questions and such are fine for in the thread, though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 03:59:39 am by FallacyofUrist »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FBYOR 6 (18 / 18) - Day 1 - Daykills On The Table
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2023, 04:15:45 am »

... Okay, hey guys,  I, fortunately or unfortunately, have the world's strongest ability.  I require everyone to make a vote on who to use this on because the ability is too strong to remain in my possession, lest the Mafia or other nefarious persons pilfer this.

I will thusly claim.

I can remove the role of another player once per game.

Yes, this is permanent.  Yes, this is busted.  No, I couldn't not claim it.  No, I can't save it for later.

Please pick who should be the target, because they will be effectively removed from the Night game.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2023, 04:20:34 am »

"Hi everyone"

Jim: Is there anyone in particular you'd like to have vote you today?

NQT: How should people treat third-parties that claim to be town-ally?

sofanthiel: Which three players here do you know the most about and which three do you know the least about?

Imp: how frequently do you normally post in mafia?

Tric: If you had Jim's daykill, what would you put into your first post of the game?

Secretdorf: What is the purpose of RVS? Does it actually help find scum? How?

Knightwing:  Who here would you want to be on a scumteam with?

Elephant Parade: How many scumteams do you think there are this game based on the number of players, and how big do you think they are?

BlackHeartKabal: Who do you think is the most likely to lurk this game? Do you think lurking will be an effective tactic?

Toonyman: What things being in your role should you claim day 1 if you have them? why?

The Canadian kitten: Under what circumstances should people no-lynch? under what circumstances should people policy-lynch?

hector13: Who here would submit a Shakeragian role? Who here would not submit a Shakeragian role?

Egan_BW: if you were designing a mafia role for this game, what would it look like?

webadict: Is there anyone here you have never played with? Who here should we have the highest expectations of? Who the lowest?

EuchreJack: under what circumstances would you use an ability that forced the mafia to kill you, while simultaneously making you impossible to watch or protect?

Max: If you were a third-party tasked with finding and killing two hidden ducks, one mafia and one town, both must by killed by you at night, what would you try to do during Day 1?

Crystalizedmire: What is your favorite alignment and why?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2023, 04:21:54 am »

Web: in my opinion you should pretend to put it to a vote, then use it arbitrarily as you see fit.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2023, 04:42:51 am »

webadict: Is there anyone here you have never played with? Who here should we have the highest expectations of? Who the lowest?
Surprisingly many.  The Canadian Cat, Imp, Crystalizedmire, sofanthiel, and that might be it.  Elephant Parade was on my possibly list, but I feel like we played a Beginner Mafia together a looooong time ago, so, maybe on that one.

Highest expectations?  Eh, myself.  I gotta find the bad guys, naturally, or I could lose the game.  Or worse, be executed due to my own failure!  Lowest expectations?  I refuse to answer this on account of a post restriction that you do not have to worry about.  Everybody plays to their own strengths, and who are we to judge what is good or bad! :)

Web: in my opinion you should pretend to put it to a vote, then use it arbitrarily as you see fit.
I considered merely choosing the second most voted, but if the stakes aren't revealed, people won't know what they're playing for.  To use an action of such detrimental effect requires the target be warned that their enjoyment will be, in part, diminished.

I am currently wielding a power that could kill fun.

It is imperative that those under its gaze know the destruction it might wrought.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2023, 04:58:45 am »

BlackHeartKabal: Who do you think is the most likely to lurk this game? Do you think lurking will be an effective tactic?

I can't much speak on the availability of given players given my recent return - my answer to the first question would be pure speculation. My provisional answer would be "whoever hasn't posted by the 24th hour of this game." As for lurking being an effective tactic, yes, considering the playercount.

Crystalizedmire: Does the game size intimidate you, too?

Egan_BW: If someone claims to be a catgirl, they're probably an SK. Do you agree with this statement?

Elephant Parade: Is it better to be skilled, or lucky?

hector13: What, to you, is the purpose of asking questions like this?

Jim Groovester: If you had your pick of who to daykill, who would you?

Lenglon: If you were town and had a nightkill, would you use it night one?

notquitethere: If you and I are quite alive by tomorrow, could you tell me your impression of everyone?

sofanthiel: Who, besides yourself, do you hope survives until the end?

ToonyMan: If you had a single piece of advice to offer to all players present, what would it be?

TricMagic: If you had a 50/50 shot to win or lose in a single decision, would you take that shot? Would your alignment influence that decision?

webadict: Disrupting the calm of others can be very revelatory in terms of information. Do you agree?

I did not ask everyone a question, specifically. If I didn't ask you a specific question, what's your impression of that?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2023, 05:05:52 am »

Well then. Edwardian gentleman, I choose you!

*twirls his cane*

I expect my role will vex a lot of people. I also expect we shall be speaking as aristocrats before long, and a joyous day it will be indeed when that moment arrives.

Most Esteemed FallacyofUrist, if this is toning down the complexity, one shudders at the idea of complexity unleashed.

*doffs his top hat*

Until the morn, my Esteemed colleagues. Toodle pip!
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2023, 05:16:46 am »

"Huh? You plannin' ter be' all stuck-ip like dat? Nah, youz do youz bucko."
blows a bubble-gum bubble.

BHK: why is one of your questions a repeat of one of mine?
BHK: It would depend on the number of shots It has. one-shot? No, I'd hold it. unlimited? shoot every night.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 15, 2023, 05:47:29 am »

BHK: why is one of your questions a repeat of one of mine?
BHK: It would depend on the number of shots It has. one-shot? No, I'd hold it. unlimited? shoot every night.

I didn't think that it was. Even if so, the phrasing of a question is important and can produce a different answer to the same question, even from the same person.

To your response to mine - why kill every night, if given the opportunity? Is that not disadvantageous?

Most Esteemed FallacyofUrist, if this is toning down the complexity, one shudders at the idea of complexity unleashed.
*doffs his top hat*
Huh. Hector, are you obligated to speak this way by your role?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 15, 2023, 05:49:55 am »

webadict: Disrupting the calm of others can be very revelatory in terms of information. Do you agree?
Sort of?  Being angry causes you to think less while posting and present a more authentic representation of the yourself.  Calmness acts as a mask, an impenetrable shield.  If you can remain calm the entire time, you can lie about anything.

Disruptions are always revelatory, however.  Seeing how someone reacts to a new situation they have had no time to prepare for is insightful.  Human beings are creature of habit.  We rely on our base instincts when left defenseless.  Someone afraid that everyone is out to get them will reveal their colors, and those that see safety in the group will show it.

This is why I think asking basic questions isn't as helpful.   People can adapt to that fast.  A question like "Are you afraid to vote Jim Groovester right now?" though...  THAT is a good question.  It has an easy answer, but far-reaching consequences.  It thinks about the game state.  You have to really question how you answer it.

So, BHK:  Would you vote Jim Groovester right now?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 15, 2023, 06:00:27 am »

vote Jim, you won’t. scared?

If I were to be on a scum team, I would want it to be with Web or Toony, they’re busted

Also, I don’t know if this was stated in the OP, but there’s likely to be more then 2 scum, if that wasn’t obvious.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 207