Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Roll to Quest: Land of the Crate.  (Read 13148 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Quest
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2023, 11:29:51 am »

Throw the guy I have grappled into the other guys.
"Of course they leave their friend behind."
Ahrian rushes to the dying lizard, readying healing magic to attempt an emergency last-second save of the poor moron.
if he somehow wakes up:
"Shh, stay down."
Her intent is to let him leave once the fighting is over and his life is no longer in danger.
Take the lizard's axe, and stand over him while Ahrian treats him.  Ensure he doesn't get back up and resume fighting, but don't be too stabby.

He doesn't get his axe back.

Gnwbimbar tosses a banana peel onto the ground in front of the ones that are running away.
Terinas waits for one of the opponents to attack. She doesn't want to fight more than she needs to.
(5+1vs3-1)(4)(8vs11+2)

Noodles tosses the spare human away with a flourish.  Unfortunately, nobody else is hit and the human simply skids to the floor, moderately injured.

(6+2 vs NA)

Ahrian rushes through the crowd and kneels in the pool of green blood, raising more magic and trying to get a handle on the condition of the fallen lizard.

The lizard is already dead.  Crashed due to rapid loss of blood pressure, leading to cardiac failure.  Enough missing volume to kill that way, even if the shock didn't.  The stab wound goes completely through, destroyed a kidney, cut through several other organs, perforated the intestines, and clipped the spine.  And that's not counting the previous leg wound.  When Xin stabs things they get really quite hurt.

No, Xin sees no need for a finishing blow.

The rest of them, even the injured Chin, leave in a hurry.  The boar slips on a stray banana peel, adding insult to injury to insult.  They've had enough fighting and one of them is dead.

The brawl continues for some time, so the party heads outside where it's quieter, looking at the ribbon in the sky and enjoying a round of drinks, served up by the incredibly nonchalant bartender.  Xin still holds the giant axe.  The undead warrior could use it, but it isn't better than his sword and dagger.  The air is quiet and just breezy enough to muffle the sounds from inside in the lamplit evening, with twilight slowly fading as the shades descend over the sun.

This inn is close to the edge.  It's likely the last time any of you will see this land, the many species, the challenges for the quest, the families, the ordinary farming and drinking and fighting, the merchants, the towns, the villages.. maybe even the forests and the lakes, although the sky ribbon shows that there are many places where those can be seen in advance.

(8 vs 1+2 -> 8)

Noodles is the only one who got badly hurt in the fight.  Well, as badly as a mass of vaguely squid-shaped tentacles can be, having lost a few tentacles and seemingly suffered no lasting harm from it.  Ahrian is assured they will regrow with time, although they do not seem to be progressing well at the moment.  She'll keep an eye on the injury in the days to come.

At around midday, you arrive at the barrier between lands.  In this case, it is simply a 'relatively small' earthen berm, about fifteen meters high.  Small compared to the scale of the world, of course, but a clear and obvious barrier.  The sides are covered in dirt, but they remain clear of grass, trees, and other bushes by an unknown process.  Nobody wants to live too close to the berm, of course, just to be sure.

Atop it is a full hundred meters of open ground, with a steady wind coming from behind.  You've been told that this wind is always that way here.. always blowing into the Land of the Crate, never from said land.  And on top of the ground is the namesake.  Hundreds of well-built, tightly made wooden crates, spaced evenly along the entire barrier, as far as you can see.  They vary in size, from ones about gnome-sized to ones the size of small houses, and each one is placed with geometric perfection an equal distance apart, as if each one is in the center of a grid square.

Ahead is more forest, hills, and open ground.  Unsurprisingly, you can see dots all along the open ground.  More crates, each presumably placed with similar geometric perfection, although with perhaps more distance between each one.

Spoiler: Ahrian (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Terinas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gnwbimbir (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Xin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Noodles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Party Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 11:43:03 am by Devastator »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Quest: Land of the Crate.
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2023, 03:33:22 pm »

"How orderly! I can only presume terrible doom falls upon those who disturb such order. Let us wiggle some to find out!"

Forward! Push a crate around, see what happens.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2023, 04:02:48 pm »

"Guys, I don't think pushing a crate is a smart idea."
Terinas tries to prevent Noodles from pushing the crate.
she/her

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2023, 04:03:59 pm »

"I think it's the only idea!"

Noodles' walleyed expression makes it clear that this may be a local phenomenon.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2023, 04:30:34 pm »

Gnwbimbar checks if any of the crates can be opened.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2023, 05:58:08 pm »

"I mean, if we're gonna mess with them I guess now is the time, but this still seems weird. Want to just walk past them?"
No Action
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2023, 03:16:23 pm »

"Where's Xin?"
she/her

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2023, 03:59:40 pm »

"I'll be nearby.  Don't worry.  I suspect distance may be very important within this land."

Walk to the north, passing by at least two crates.  Watch the antics of the others from a distance, and if nothing dangerous happens, walk into crateland, directly past a crate.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2023, 10:41:37 am »

"How orderly! I can only presume terrible doom falls upon those who disturb such order. Let us wiggle some to find out!"

Forward! Push a crate around, see what happens.
"Guys, I don't think pushing a crate is a smart idea."
Terinas tries to prevent Noodles from pushing the crate.

Push Crate: (9)
Prevent Cratepushing: (4)

Noodles manages to outmaneuver the bear, by attempting to push two crates at once.  Terinas can't manage to prevent both.  One of the smaller crates is pushed a few dozen feet from its origin.

..Nothing happens.  Noodles follows it up by tipping the crate over, but again, nothing happens.

Gnwbimbar checks if any of the crates can be opened.

They're sealed, but not terribly well.  There are a few small nails holding down the top, while the rest of the crate is nailed together tightly.  They don't open trivially, but opening one deliberately is pretty easy.

"I'll be nearby.  Don't worry.  I suspect distance may be very important within this land."

Walk to the north, passing by at least two crates.  Watch the antics of the others from a distance, and if nothing dangerous happens, walk into crateland, directly past a crate.

Nothing does indeed seem to happen.  Crateland doesn't object.. visibly, to you moving north.

Proceeding into The Land of the Crate, there is no obvious route further west, so the party follows the edge of one of the many forests, a place where they see nothing of note ahead.  Passing by, some mature trees are cut down, seeming at random, cut off just above the ground, leaving only a few stumps.  The tree cuts are very smooth and clean.  Noodles pushes a few more crates as the party moves.. and nothing continues to happen.

What changes that is nighttime.  After pitching tents, the quiet land changes.  Noises start, mostly quiet and distant, but what was once a silent land seems to come alive.. although nobody actually sees anything.  At one point, a wind starts up, with a strong breeze blowing north for only a minute or two, before ceasing for the rest of the night.  And at one point, strange lights are noticed in the distance.  At several distant locations within this land, moderately bright lights kindle and dwindle, pulsing once every minute or two.  The whole show lasts about an hour and a half before ending.

When morning comes.. not much is different.  But there are two changes noticed.  One of the crates Noodles pushed, about a hundred feet from the campsite, has been replaced by a different crate, also arranged perfectly.  Secondly, there is a single fresh stump in view, although this is less certain.

How are you going to proceed from here?  Are you going to check out one of the lights?

Spoiler: Ahrian (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Terinas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gnwbimbir (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Xin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Noodles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Party Inventory (click to show/hide)

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2023, 03:34:19 pm »

Gnwbimbar checks the crates around him to see if they contain anything useful. (Or entertaining)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2023, 04:16:57 pm »

"Hey, want to go check out those weird lights from last night?"
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2023, 08:28:58 pm »

"Hey, want to go check out those weird lights from last night?"
"I do!"

Noodles goes to check out weird lights at night.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2023, 08:38:39 pm »

Ahrian follows behind Noodles

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2023, 08:27:32 am »

Terinas follows Ahrian
she/her

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2023, 09:04:45 pm »

"I'm going to the south, to investigate that wind.  If we lose track of each other, and cannot reunite, head for border and then south.  We can catch up at the southwestern corner of the land."

Head south, taking the highest path available, in hopes of finding out what caused that wind.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11