Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could UI be returned to classic? (or latest oldstyle-UI version suggestion)  (Read 1509 times)

demol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello all.

I played DF somewhere in 2010-18th and struggling to play it again.
All I want is the lastest DF with actual graphic tileset and maybe some qol mods.

I tried steam version but was mocked, trolled and killed by current version UI&control. I simply cant play it w/o old labor management or controls concetrated on one panel.

Is there any ways to convert UI back for latest versions or it is lost for good?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 11:37:59 pm by demol »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could UI be returned to classic?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 10:37:25 pm »

To directly answer your question, no. not without great effort by those involved. unfortunately. however, as time passes, improvements will come, as more people realize how improvement is needed in specific UI areas. I recommend installing DFhack for premium, which can be found on the steam workshop.

it can be re-learned but the experience of dwarven management is fundamentally based on your mouse clicks, so regardless of the presence of a retro cursor mode in the options (which IS there if you look for it) the player is a bit hampered

re: labor i suggest just letting your dwarves do whatever labors they want, and instead using workshop profiles to control dwarf output. i rarely find the new labor menu useful beyond maybe organizing doctors. the precise control over labor that we used to have can be achieved but it is much more difficult to arrange in the new menu system.

I remain hopeful the old unit-list labor management menu will return to DFhack. that thing was great!

demol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could UI be returned to classic? (or latest old-style version suggestion)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 11:35:12 pm »

To directly answer your question, no.

Then may I kindly ask you (or anyone who could answer) for next question:

What is your latest oldstyle game build?
Game version, latest of pre-steam UI + good graphic tileset, actual for that version + Dwarf-The-rapist version for them.

I will be grateful for any adviсe.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's easiest to just point you to the last PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, it contains all the utilities for that version as well as the graphics sets. The only caveats are that there was one more version of DFHack for 0.47.05 after that and I think the pack also includes a bug in one of the graphics sets (I'll try to remember which one and edit it in, Edit: it's Vettlingr's and fairly easily fixed, see this thread).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 01:33:23 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

demol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
Re: Could UI be returned to classic?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 10:15:28 am »

Hello all...

Is there any ways to convert UI back for latest versions or it is lost for good?

To directly answer your question, no. not without great effort...

About all I want in the future is to turn the whole HUD off because that worked in 2009.

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually there has been talk about improving the UI. It might be included in the adventure mode update.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile

Actually there has been talk about improving the UI.

Where was this or was it just about Adventure mode UI (which I really hope isn't changed much)?

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel

re: labor i suggest just letting your dwarves do whatever labors they want, and instead using workshop profiles to control dwarf output. i rarely find the new labor menu useful beyond maybe organizing doctors. the precise control over labor that we used to have can be achieved but it is much more difficult to arrange in the new menu system.

I think the streamlining of the labor thing was badly needed. Before premium, I had to rely on external software such as DFHack and Dwarf Therapist, now I can comfortably play vanilla and manage labors using the new labor screen. It's true that you can't finetune every last detail, like you used to, but it's also true that it's not really needed and I've seen new players (particularly fans of that Joel person) who shot themselves in the foot by trying to a) play 0.4x without tilesets or even DFHack and b) trying to assign labors manually and micromanage the dwarves, then wondering why no mining ever gets done.
As for the UI thing, I think the UI should return to the 0.4x one (if possible) when ASCII mode is selected, but it shouldn't affect the premium mode.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:19:50 pm by darkhog »
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).