Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hail Governor a Warhammer 40,000 Suggestion Game  (Read 1255 times)

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hail Governor a Warhammer 40,000 Suggestion Game
« on: November 07, 2023, 05:33:05 pm »

Welcome to "Hail Governor!" - a Warhammer 40k roleplaying game. While this is my first time running a game on Bay12, I do have experience with similar games on other platforms. My aim is to complete one full turn every three days, though I hope to achieve a turn a day, even though that might be ambitious. Before we dive into the game, I'd like to express my gratitude to a user named Shmeh on the 4chan /qst/ board for inspiring me to run this game and developing the mechanics I intend to use.

You have been informed by the Adeptus Terra that you have been awarded the Governorship over the Moran system. You are told that the previous Governor was purged for Heresy. The records on the Moran system are sparse, but they tell of a feudal frontier world in the subsector Selucia of the Sector Phrygia, near the border of formally recognized Imperial Space, close to the halo zone in Segmentum Pacificus. The entire region only recently rejoined the Imperium less than a millennia ago, being reclaimed by elements of the Macharian Crusade. As a result, the region is poorly charted and generally underdeveloped, being far from the core of Imperial space and the focus of Imperial Strategy. Based on the scant records available, you know that Moran Secundus is a slightly larger and colder terra-like world, featuring a small asteroid belt in the world's outer orbit along with a pair of habitable moons each hosting a small population of primitive abhumans. The system also features 3 gas giants and a large asteroid belt ringing the system.

I am using a stat system inspired by Crusader Kings and DnD if you are familiar with both or either of those series then some of this stuff will make sense to you.
Rolls will be done using D20s, with 20 being a critical success and 1 being a crit failure.

There are 5 stats your character has which I will explain below

All stats are set to 10 initially, except for prowess which is set to 6, as these represent baseline stats.

15 would indicate exceptional talent and ability, while 20 would make you one of the greatest of all time

Every 2 points in a stat above 10 gives you a +1 roll bonus to anything the stat is related to

Diplomacy&Intrigue - your ability to charm, negotiate, and persuade others, also your ability to read someone to find out their wants and desires and your ability to manipulate them

Affects rolls and systems related to
-Negotiations with outside entities, vassal lords
-Also affects your popularity with your followers and the general population in your realm

Martial- your ability to command military forces, as your understanding of military culture, doctrine, tactics, and strategy

-Commanding troops on the battlefield
-Commanding space battles
-Training and developing your military forces(complements diplomacy/intrigue)
-Your ability to use military strength to intimidate others

Stewardship- your economic and financial management skills, affect your understanding of business ventures and the ability to manage most projects

-Business dealings
-Project Management

Learning- Your level of knowledge and wisdom
-Scholarly activities
-Tech Research and development
-Valuing artifacts and rare technologies
-Studying Religious texts

Prowess- Represents your personal fighting ability, ie your swordsmanship, marksmanship etc

The next system I would like to explain is the piety/heresy system

Your character by default starts at 0, representing a weak faith in the Emperor and more of paying lip service to the Imperial Creed

Ranging from 0-10 in either direction, piety increases your chances of divine intervention, as well as improves relationships with Ecclesiarchy as well as religious individuals in the Imperium. Improved by studying holy texts, praying, and tithing to the church
Heresy(and tech-heresy) increases your chances of inviting intervention by the dark gods and warp entities. It also invites suspicion and hostility in the Imperium generally. It is gained by pursuing policies and making decisions that go against Imperial Dogma, also the acquisition of power and knowledge generally can easily spill into Heresy according to the eyes of the Inquisition and other Imperial Authorities

How did you become Governor of this world?

A. You are the second child of a prominent Noble Dynasty, your family has ruled a wealthy and powerful world for millenia and have established themselves in their local region, the world is highly developed and organized, and supplies large tithes of competent, trained soldiers, foodstuffs and war material for the eternal wars of the Imperium of Man. Your family was able to exploit their wealth and connections to grant you the chance to start your own cadet branch of your glorious Dynasty. Your family has provided you with a staff of servants to look after your every whim, while elite House guards and a few thousand security forces from your homeworld provide your protection, along with several extra ships full of supplies and a large cash gift.

- Starting Stats

Diplomacy&Intrigue 16
Martial 10
Stewardship 12
Learning 12
Prowess 8
- +2 bonus to rolls involving aristocrats and nobility
- Start with distant noble house ally
- Start with 100,000 bonus thrones
- Start with a warp-capable heavy freighter, laden with settlers, supplies, and equipment

B.You are a Victorious General of the Imperial Guard, the army you command, along with their families and settlers from the homeworld of your troops have been given the right of settlement on this new world after a hard-fought campaign against vicious rebel cultists. The army under your command was able to finally secure a mining world, critical to production in the sector. The campaign against Cultist forces, who were cunning and fanatical, forced your men to pay blood for every inch of rebel territory. After months of stalemates, you came up with an offensive plan and were finally able to break through and crush the enemy forces. You will start with a large army of loyal veteran troops along with their supplies and equipment.

- Starting Stats

Diplomacy&Intrigue 12
Martial 16
Stewardship 12
Learning 10
Prowess 12

- Start with a warp-capable heavy freighter, laden with settlers, supplies, and equipment
- Choose a Guard Homeworld- you start with an alliance with them and settlers from their world
- Start with a small but elite and fully equipped army of 5 regiments of elite-tier veteran troops
- +2 bonus to rolls involving military officers and martial culture

C. Your uncle, Matheuz Blackwood, the famous Rogue Trader, was able to negotiate more than just a large finder's fee from the Imperium, he gained a governorship for your father. who served as a competent and skillful right-hand man to your Uncle for many years. Unfortunately, your father passed just a few months before he was informed of his receiving of the Governorship. The title passes to you. Your uncle trusts your family and will expect you to perform competently and provide support to his expeditions in the region. Your uncle has also provided you with a ship, a large mercenary security force, and several of his best people.

- Starting Stats

Diplomacy&Intrigue 12
Martial 12
Stewardship 14
Learning 12
Prowess 10

- Start with Rogue Trader House ally
- Start with a small mercenary army of 3 regiments of elite veteran-tier troops
-+2 bonus to rolls involving naval command, and dealing with navy officers and officials
-+2 bonus to rolls involving haggling when buying and selling things
-Start with a Star Galleon laden with suppliers and settlers
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 05:35:30 am by UristMcRiley »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Hail Governor a Warhammer 40,000 Suggestion Game
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2023, 06:38:06 pm »

A

The noble is the best at politics, and being a planetary governor in 40k is about a whole lot of politics. With 16 in D&I, the noble is as good at talking to army and naval officers as the general and rogue trader, and they have a +5 to interactions with nobles, who are likely to be our most consistent side-lodged thorn. Their stewardship is only 1 modifier-point below the trader's, and the extra starting resources will likely be helpful for getting troops or other resources. They're not as good in a fight as the other two options, but they should also be pretty good at never having to be in one.

EDIT: I want to make it clear. A +5 to interacting with nobles is equivalent to a 20 in the stat. This option places us as one of the greatest noble-wranglers of all time, per the description of what a 20 in a stat means.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 06:39:57 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2023, 08:57:08 pm »

B

Starting with an actual bonus to Prowess and a big elite guard should be helpful, since there is Only War. :)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 09:19:48 pm »

A

We have people to do the fighting for us.
(Congrats on the first game, exciting stuff!)
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:21:23 pm »

B

Starting with an actual bonus to Prowess and a big elite guard should be helpful, since there is Only War. :)

I'll note, although the list of bonuses doesn't mention them, the noble does have "elite House guards and a few thousand security forces from your homeworld"; they're definitely a much smaller force than the general and trader have, but we're not unprotected, plus we're still going to have access to the Planetary Defense Force.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:58:59 pm »

B

I'll note, although the list of bonuses doesn't mention them, the noble does have "elite House guards and a few thousand security forces from your homeworld"; they're definitely a much smaller force than the general and trader have, but we're not unprotected, plus we're still going to have access to the Planetary Defense Force.

+1
( do 40k games just come in waves'?)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 11:01:04 pm »

Seems like it.

Also, what's that a +1 to? Egan's vote, or mine?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 01:25:45 am »

A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 01:43:07 am »

Seems like it.

Also, what's that a +1 to? Egan's vote, or mine?
Yours .
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 03:11:22 am »

A

money

Sir LagsALot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 03:50:36 am »

A.

A feudal world eh? Well hopefully we can develop the world over time.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 07:58:40 am »

So the current vote is

6 For option A The Noble

and

2 For option B The General

While it seems fairly one sided at the moment I’ll give it a few more hours before I close the voting and start writing

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 05:06:51 pm »

Voting is Closed

Option A the noble is locked in

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 09:46:41 pm »

The Coronation

The resounding applause still echoes in your mind as you ascend the plushly carpeted steps to your private shuttle. The golden wreath, placed upon your head by your grand uncle just two hours ago, feels like a heavy burden. A governorship wasn't your life's ambition. You had always yearned for the opportunity to prove yourself, to step out from the looming shadow of the family name, but you never expected this chance.

You were positioned too high in the familial succession to be overlooked, yet not quite at the top to be entrusted with significant power. You had reconciled yourself to a life of luxury that left you unfulfilled. However, your grand uncle, the family's patriarch, whether moved by your predicament or driven by the desire to expand the family's influence, navigated the labyrinthine bureaucracy of the Imperium to secure this charter for you.

Your new domain, far from perfect, lies distant from the family's central power. By all accounts, it's a destitute backwater. Nevertheless, your mind teems with ideas for improving your realm, turning it into a territory worthy of your rule, and repaying your family's generosity.

Stepping into the warm interior of your shuttle, a magnificent silver mirror, adorned with golden filigree and set within warm nal-wood paneling, reflects your image. For the first time since your official coronation, you gaze at yourself, and the transformation is remarkable. You no longer see the carefree upper-hive noble but instead a (man's/woman's) visage marked by the weight of governance. Your (young/middle-aged/elderly) body still exudes strength and vitality, even beneath the trappings of high nobility. Your persona, now more regal and solemn, is poised to become a name revered and respected throughout the Moran System and across the sprawling Imperium.

Satisfied with your new self-image, you proceed through the luxuriously appointed corridors, heading to the main lounge. There, you'll find your most trusted friend and lieutenant, who will join you on this transformative journey.

Your First Lieutenant
A.) Lady Seraphina Velosia
Lady Seraphina Velosia, known affectionately as Sera to you, is your cousin who has spent her life in the imposing shadow of your noble family's legacy. Born into the intricate web of noble politics, her existence has been a blend of privilege and adversity. Sera possesses a keen diplomatic acumen, capable of charming, negotiating, and manipulating others to further your cause. Her unexpected proficiency in personal combat adds a layer of unpredictability to her skills. Her unwavering loyalty to your mission is fueled by both familial ties and a fierce determination to prove herself in the treacherous expanse of the universe.

B.) Captain Aelric Thorne
Captain Aelric Thorne, a seasoned armsman, has been a constant presence in your life, having stood by your side since the early demise of your father. Hailing from a modest middle-class background, his primary duty was to protect and mentor you. His martial prowess is extraordinary, shaped by years of unwavering service to your family. Beyond his role as a protector, he assumed the role of a mentor and a quasi-father figure, instilling in you the virtues of honor, duty, and strategy. His undying loyalty stands as a testament to his unwavering commitment to your success.

C.) Magos Veridian Ignus
Magos Veridian Ignus, an enigmatic figure renowned for his eccentricity, possesses an insatiable thirst for knowledge and a deep affinity for the arcane. While some have accused him of tech-heresy, no concrete evidence has emerged, and his loyalty to you remains steadfast. His mastery of Stewardship and Learning is matched only by his obsession with ancient technologies and forbidden knowledge. However, his unpredictable nature makes him a double-edged sword—a valuable asset and a potential liability in the shadowy depths of the Imperium.

D.) Brother Sergeant Inviatus Malachai
The arrival of Brother Sergeant Inviatus Malachai, a White Consul Space Marine, is an enigmatic honor. This towering genetically-engineered super-soldier bears the indomitable might of the Emperor's Angels of Death. The reason for his presence remains shrouded in mystery—whether it's a compliment or an insult is unclear. His oath, sealed in blood, underscores the unswerving honor and loyalty of his Chapter. With his formidable Martial and Prowess skills, he brings unmatched combat expertise to your side. However, the true motivations of his Chapter and his personal agenda remain concealed.

E.) Ecclesiarch Caelus Vindictus
Ecclesiarch Caelus Vindictus, an elderly figure, once a simple priest and your childhood tutor, harbors a profound reservoir of knowledge and unwavering faith in the Emperor of Mankind. Although age has weathered his physical form, his intellect and insight have sharpened with time. His roles as a Diplomat and a scholar of religious texts have played a pivotal role in shaping your faith and understanding of the Ecclesiarchy. Despite his frailty, he remains a fount of wisdom, guidance, and spiritual strength in the grim and perilous universe.
In this final setup phase, before we delve into the game itself, you have the opportunity to shape your governor according to your preferences. Whether they are male or female, young or old, you can provide a suggested name and a description for your character or cast your vote for one of your fellow players' suggestions.

Final Information & a explanation of some mechanichs

In this final setup turn before we get to the game proper you will be personalizing the governor to your heart's content. Be them a man or woman young or old, simply provide a suggested name, and description or vote for one of your fellow player's suggestions.

Furthermore, you will be choosing your first lieutenants, who will play pivotal roles in your character's journey and the development of your realm. These lieutenants will each bring their unique personalities and skill sets to the table. Whether it's a noble, a Magos, or a Space Marine, they will conduct actions that befit their character, resulting in distinct outcomes for the same goals.

As you progress in the game, please keep in mind that each turn represents a year's worth of time, excluding the initial setup phases and any significant combat scenarios. During each turn, your character, the governor, can directly oversee a single major project. These projects can range from building roadways and training troops to conducting diplomatic negotiations with neighboring systems.

It's important to note that attempting multiple major actions within a single turn will significantly increase the difficulty of each action. This will elevate the risk of failure, underscoring the importance of your trusted lieutenants. They will provide invaluable support, applying their skills and personalities to achieve your goals, even if their methods differ dramatically.

As a side note, I am attempting to use Chat GPT to edit these posts in order to increase the speed of my turns if you find that it seems to robotic or well if you have any issue with it please let me know and I'll resort to more tried and true methods.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 10:13:16 pm »

B

Captain Thorne is noted to be extraordinarily loyal to us, his martial skill covers for our main weak point, and the more flavorful details around him imply an inclination toward meritocracy and noblesse oblige, in contrast to the standard behavior of Imperial nobility.
I also have some interest in Malachai and Vindictus, but the former has unknown complications to him, while the latter stacks up on our Diplomacy skills in ways that I don't really think we need.

I don't care too much about our gender or name, but I do think that we should be young or middle-aged.
Pages: [1] 2 3