Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Blind Mafia (recruiting)  (Read 1970 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Mafia (recruiting)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2023, 12:06:44 pm »

IN

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2023, 03:38:48 pm »

IN
she/her

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2023, 04:31:57 pm »

notices this game

20 minutes later is still going whut

Umm, a1s.  I have so many questions here, I don't even know how to ask them.

In fact, how about we switch henchman out with lawyer?

How about it?  Did it happen?  Your OP doesn't say, nor do you say anywhere else.  In fact your OP still says:

Among the players is 1 guaranteed henchman (part of Mafia, who collectively may kill 1 person each night)

So... no, it didn't happen?

That seems to have been a fun game. I will add a "coroner" to the roles.

Checks  That got said after and apparently did get added to the OP.

OK, how about this: There are only 2 roles- lawyer (let's call them 'cultists' for this scenario) and survivor. Survivors need to ferret out who the cultists are and eliminate them. Cultists need but to survive (and also have a secret chat). No roles are revealed on death.
I assume survivors still need to survive to win? Otherwise it’s a very different game, much closer to normal mafia, and the “survivors” will always eliminate as many people as they can, just to be safe.

I would advise against calling them cultists - that generally refers to a mafia group that converts instead on killing. Unless that’s what you mean.

In general, I’d try to be a bit less hasty - I suspect one reason there haven’t been any signups yet is that people aren’t sure what the rules are. Producing a detailed summary of the rules will also help you see any problems and make running the game a lot smoother.

This is a cool and different mafia concept - I’d enjoy seeing the setup given the time and attention it deserves.

I would love to see your answers to 2000, please.  Also, are you doing your 'only 2 roles' idea, or what the OP says?  Are the roles in the OP firm and set and definite, or what?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 04:34:43 pm »

@a1s:

Oh yeah.  My other questions.

Where you say in the OP:

"There may also be one or more of the following"

Does that mean that there could be, for example, 2 dons or 2 doctors?  Are there at most 3 mafia?  Do we even get to know how many mafia we have, should we even have mafia?

And them lawyers.

Does town need to kill them, or just the actual mafia, since you say "Lawyer (Knows who the Mafia are, but can not kill at night. Wins with Mafia)"

You kind of describe them differently, so I can see them as being allies, and not needing to die for town to win, though they need town to lose.

So, umm?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2023, 06:28:36 pm »

In fact, how about we switch henchman out with lawyer?

How about it?  Did it happen?  Your OP doesn't say, nor do you say anywhere else.  In fact your OP still says:
No, I decided against it. The OP is correct.
I would love to see your answers to 2000, please.  Also, are you doing your 'only 2 roles' idea, or what the OP says?  Are the roles in the OP firm and set and definite, or what?
No, the 2 roles mafia (which is a game of Ostracism with added lawyers) is going to have to wait for another time.

@a1s:

Oh yeah.  My other questions.

Where you say in the OP:

"There may also be one or more of the following"

Does that mean that there could be, for example, 2 dons or 2 doctors?  Are there at most 3 mafia?  Do we even get to know how many mafia we have, should we even have mafia?

And them lawyers.

Does town need to kill them, or just the actual mafia, since you say "Lawyer (Knows who the Mafia are, but can not kill at night. Wins with Mafia)"

You kind of describe them differently, so I can see them as being allies, and not needing to die for town to win, though they need town to lose.

So, umm?
Despite what Shakespeare said, you don't need to kill all the lawyers. This is a bit sad for the lawyer, as once mafia is out of the game they can not win. I feel this is better than "lawyers win if they survive, with mafia or without", since I want to encourage them to defend the mafia.
There can only be one don, one henchman and one lawyer. If we don't have enough players there might be no don. There is only 1 'true' doctor, but there might be another person who thinks they're the doctor. Similarly 1 vigilante and 1 cop.
"One or more" refers to how many roles from the list are present, not to multiple copies of one role.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2023, 07:50:25 pm »

Despite what Shakespeare said, you don't need to kill all the lawyers. This is a bit sad for the lawyer, as once mafia is out of the game they can not win. I feel this is better than "lawyers win if they survive, with mafia or without", since I want to encourage them to defend the mafia.
There can only be one don, one henchman and one lawyer. If we don't have enough players there might be no don. There is only 1 'true' doctor, but there might be another person who thinks they're the doctor. Similarly 1 vigilante and 1 cop.
"One or more" refers to how many roles from the list are present, not to multiple copies of one role.

Sweet.  So, for a **town win** we need either one or two people dead, and those will have roles of henchman for sure, and possibly also a don.  We can let the lawyer live, but the lawyer might try to die to prevent a true scumbuddy from dying.

Is this true:  Mafia do not know who the lawyer is?

And I get that there could be more night kills, including accidental night kills, from town than from mafia, including 'but I didn't mean it to be deadly!'.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2023, 08:14:30 pm »

Let me see. Deal with my personal problems so I can do the thing I promised OR join another weird setup. The answer is obvious.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 12:29:53 am »

IN, although no promises as to my activity, whether it be too much, too little, or too insane.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2023, 08:47:07 am »

So we have 5 players- that's not enough.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2023, 06:55:19 pm »

So we have 5 players- that's not enough.

Maybe we're closer to 7, which is minimally sufficient.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2023, 01:54:44 am »

Oh, I was joining. I didn't say that clearly, I guess, but it would have been incredibly pointlessly assholish of me to post that in the first place if I was going to take the sensible-sounding option.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2023, 04:07:19 am »

Oh, I was joining. I didn't say that clearly, I guess, but it would have been incredibly pointlessly assholish of me to post that in the first place if I was going to take the sensible-sounding option.
Fixed that for you  :P
Pages: 1 [2]