Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: DIYCCG - Team One  (Read 10181 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: DIYCCG - Team One
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2023, 04:40:29 am »

Well, it's a strictly better version of Old Reactor, but maybe if it was rare enough...?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2023, 04:46:11 am »

Yeah, my thought was that all grey cards are slightly underpowered - for example a common plain 20/30 critter is ok even though it is strictly better than a generic mook. But could be rare.

Another idea.. our cards would benefit a lot from a simple Wall critter: something that can't attack but is good at blocking. This would help to protect our frail-but-dangerous hounds and help to buy some time to build up rad generation without being zerg rushed to death.

Maybe something like this?

Quote from: sticky goo
Common Critter (goo wall)
color: yellow
Cost: 0

0 attack, 50 vit
Wall - can't attack
Taunt - any critter that can attack a critter with Taunt has to do so.

Actually this would also synergize with both Field Hospital and Polluted Wasteland.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 04:52:42 am by Quarque »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2023, 04:55:11 am »

Name: Binge
Cost: 1 rad
Image:
Type: trick
Colour: Yellow
Effect: Pick a color, draw until you find a card of that color, then discard X, where X is the amount of card you drew.
Rarity: Rare

Name: Purge
Cost: 1 rad
Image:
Type: trick
Effect: Pick a color, your opponent discards all cards of that color.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2023, 04:58:47 am »

Quote from: sticky goo
Common Critter (goo wall)
color: yellow

0 attack, 50 vit
Wall - can't attack
Taunt - any critter that can attack a critter with Taunt has to do so.
minor quibble: Taunt is called "Abomination" in this deck.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2023, 05:56:43 am »

By the way, after our first playtesting I'm going with this decklist.

Having some "dies to removal" is a good idea. The big challenge for this deck is to gain any sort of board control early on. You can easily be overwhelmed by a few simple cheap critters while trying to build up rad generation. Hounds are very easy to kill when they hit the field and mountain tokens aren't durable either, so having anything survive long enough to exhaust it for factories might be a challenge. In any case, "dies to removal" is one of the best tools we currently have to fight for board control. (The reason I like colonies is exactly the same, it is a card that helps in this department.)

List:
old reactor,
old reactor,
old reactor,
old reactor,
old reactor,
old reactor,
modern reactor,
modern reactor,
modern reactor,
modern reactor,
tea plantation,
tea plantation,
tea plantation,
tea plantation,
factory,
factory,
godzilla,
godzilla,
field hospital,
field hospital,
ushibo,
ushibo,
ushibo,
spore colony,
spore colony,
spore colony,
twisted hound,
twisted hound,
twisted hound,
twisted hound,
twisted hound,
twisted hound,
polluted wastelands,
polluted wastelands,
polluted wastelands,
mountain,
mountain,
dies to removal,
dies to removal,
dies to removal

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 14, 2023, 06:00:51 am »

From watching those games, this is my thought for a decklist. Very similar thought process to Quarque it seems,like. And yes there are 41 cards. It is a habit from MtG, to prevent getting decked due to a stalemate. I know that's not a thing in this game, but I can't let it go.

Spoiler: Decklist (click to show/hide)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2023, 05:22:47 pm »

Name: Burst of Radiation
Image:
Type: Trick
Effect:
Quickplay
Gain 2 rads
Rarity: Common
After seeing Dreaming Waifu, I'm wondering if we can't go even further with
Name: Buble of Radiation
Image:
Type: Critter
Effect:
Quickplay
When this enters the battlefield Gain 2 rads
Str/Vit: 0/10

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2023, 05:29:35 pm »

So even before we started playing I knew we'd be needing something like this:

Quote from: wall of slime
Common yellow critter
0 Rads

10 attack, 40 vitality

Wall - can't attack
Abomination - every critter that can attack an abomination has to do so if able.
Spoiler: picture (click to show/hide)

It would serve to improve early game survival and allow us to fight for board control while building up Rad generation, which is our major weakness. As minor bonuses it would protect our squishy Twisted Hounds, Force attacks through Polluted Wastelands and give Field Hospitals a good target. In short, synergy everywhere.

By the way: @Nuke: I feel that designing very hard counters to the cards we've seen would be unsportsmanlike and anti-fun, but do you have any guidelines on this?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 05:42:57 pm by Quarque »

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2023, 05:48:33 pm »

Card reviews.

Gothic Waifu:
Surprisingly OP. It triggers just as often as a Twisted Hound if not more, but has double the growth. A big part of the growth comes from Near Immortal Waifu, which is OP as well. The combo of these two is brutal.
Suggestion: make Gothic Waifu gain 10 points of stats with each activation rather than 20. Maybe start her out as 10/20 to start as compensation.

Near Immortal Waifu:
This is a total of 30/30 package of stats, but arguably even better than a 0 mana 30/30 because it is impossible to remove and has combo potential.
This is actually the most imbalanced card I've seen this round in my opinion.
Suggestion: give her 1 revival token, not 2.

Jar of Lightning
This is essentially Destroy 2 Stickies of any price for 1 Rad. A single Jar early in my game would have killed me.
Suggestion: In magic the gathering a card destroying two artifacts costs 2 multicolor mana. In this game, it really needs to cost at least 2 Rad.

A Certain Scientific Waifu
A card being destroyed happens at least once every turn in almost every game, so as long as it lives it is a Modern Reactor that costs zero Rad. That would be far too efficient to allow, so you absolutely have to kill it immediately. Which means it typically also deals 2 damage to a critter and still gains 2 rad from being destroyed itself. If you use up a card like Dies From Removal on it, that is a great trade for ACSW (both lost 1 card, but the ASCW player gains 2 rad while the other player got nothing).
The damage to own critters is a drawback yes, but usually doesn't even come into play because you feel forced to instantly destroy it if you can, before the first activation would trigger.
Suggestion: reduce stats to 10 / 10.

Polluted Wasteland
This is brutal for 1 Rad, even without the potential to generate Rads. I still believe Polluted Wasteland should be rare and cost at least 2 Rad. Maybe 3, actually. Sorry guys.

EDIT: Just read this.
Also, each player may appeal a card they think is unbalanced (in their team's thread)

Appealing Near Immortal, then.

Edit2: on second thought I'm appealing ACSW instead.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 04:04:33 am by Quarque »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2023, 06:15:33 pm »

Jar of Lightning
This is essentially Destroy 2 Stickies of any price for 1 Rad. A single Jar early in my game would have killed me.
Suggestion: In magic the gathering a card destroying two artifacts costs 2 multicolor mana. In this game, it really needs to cost at least 2 Rad.
It does cost 2 rads.
What I would suggest is removing the card draw.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2023, 06:16:58 pm »

oh.. right. Agree.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2023, 07:01:46 pm »

If we need a nerf on Spore Colony, I'd suggest removing the death effect and making them plain 10/10 spores. Which makes it an inefficient stat package for every amount of Rad spent on it.

Hope that a cap isn't needed, that would really make the card boring.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2023, 08:17:35 pm »

Alright, here's some answers to some of the issues we faced - lack of card draw, immutability, and anti-Sticky. The last one in particular I think will give us a lot of utility, due to nuances.

Name: Trading Port
Cost: 3 1 Rads
Image:
Color: Red
Type: Sticky - Land
Effect:
Salvage - Draw a card.
Once per turn, you may spend 1 Rad or 1 Tea to draw a card. If you do not do this during one of your turns, place a Rebellion Counter on this Sticky.
If you are attacked directly, place a Rebellion Counter on this Sticky.
Rebellion Threshold 4
Flavor: "They don't care where it comes from."
Salvage: Discard this card from your hand to trigger an effect. You may only Salvage one card per turn.

This is designed to let us convert our endless stream of Rads into actual card draw, and add in the Salvage effect so cards that are currently impractical can still provide minor utility.

Name: Savage Defiance
Cost: 0 Rads
Image:
Color: Green / Black
Effect:
Play after declaring an attack on an opponent's Critter, your attacking Critter gains 10X Strength until the end of your turn, where X is the difference between the opponent's Critter's Rad cost and your attacking Critter's Rad cost.
If the opponent's Critter has Immutable, your Critter does not take any combat damage from the battle.
If your opponent has at least twice your Vitality, this card has quickplay.
Flavor: "Tear down the palace of the glorious oppressor!"

A deliberately situational Trick, nearly useless in peer-to-peer battles, or if we're ahead, but perfect for making a comeback from behind.

Name: Reality Flicker
Cost: 2 Rads
Image:
Color: Yellow
Effect:
Banish target card, then return it to play.
Draw 1 card.
Flavor: "Macro-scale existence can still be indeterministic with the right impetus."

Banish: Move target card to its owner's banished zone.
Banished: A banished card is not in play, nor is it in the discard pile, but it has not been destroyed.

This might not seem useful at first, but keep in mind that various state-based things don't hold true when a card isn't in the play area. Counters, connections / attachments, current Vitality, none of those things exist outside the play area, and a card that's been banished and then returned will then lack whatever state-information it had when it was removed.

Applications include resetting Rebellion, removing buffs or debuffs, rendering Jar of Lightning a useless trinket...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 06:58:39 am by FallacyofUrist »
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2023, 02:48:23 am »

By the way, I also think we need to design one more card that can be a win condition (and capitalize on high Rad/Tea). Gotta diversify here, or we become too easy to predict and counter.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2023, 04:06:26 am »

Name: Mech-Hunter
Cost: 4 Rads
Image:
Type: Critter- Soldier
Color: Green/Black
Effect:
This critter takes no damage from cards with Immutable
Strength-Vitality: 70-50

Name: Martini-Henry Rifles
Cost: 2 Rads
Image:
Type: Sticky - Equipment
Color: Pink
Effect:
Equip 1
Attached Critter gains 10 strength and First Strike

Quote from: equip X
Spend X rads to attach this sticky to a critter. It may only be attached to 1 critter at a time
Quote from: First Strike
This critter deals damage before the other critter in combat. If both creatures have First Strike they fight as normal.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 04:27:38 am by a1s »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16