Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: DIYCCG - Team One  (Read 10209 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: DIYCCG - Team One
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2023, 09:09:07 am »

I disagree with this idea. Rather than solving a problem that might not even exist, we should focus more on creating problems that the opponent would need to address.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2023, 11:54:03 am »

The Anti-Waifu stuff? Probably not worth the risk no.

But Sticky Rad Generators are definitely a thing that exists, and they'll at least have the 0-Cost Generics if not other Stickies that we would want to delete.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2023, 12:13:06 pm »

There's a lot of things we may need or want to do, but only two cards per turn. I would recommend making cards that are highly versatile, combining multiple ideas and being usable for many things.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2023, 01:01:19 pm »

There's only so much versatility we can give a Card before it's too impotent or costly to be worth using. Otherwise we could move to thr extreme and just design a dozen variations of the "Do Anything" Card.

Nothing else we have suggested yet can touch Stickies, and the Generic can only remove cheap ones. Those high Cost Stickies will likely have seriously detrimental effects, and we need a way to get rid of them.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2023, 01:05:14 pm »

Uncommon isn't actually a rarity. There's Common, at 6 per deck, Rare, at 3 per deck, and Unique, at 1 per deck.
You are correct, let me fix that.

There's a lot of things we may need or want to do, but only two cards per turn. I would recommend making cards that are highly versatile, combining multiple ideas and being usable for many things.
If you're talking about cards like Engines of Infernal Fury then I have to admit I'm wary of them. If we combine multiple full-strength cards into one versatile one it'll be heavily nerfed if we chose it as a proposal. I can pretty much guarantee it. Each card only has so much potential and those versatile, combination things need to share that potential to an extent. More focused cards can be stronger. Many of the tokens in those combo cards you've proposed would be perfectly fine and even rather good cards on their own. Better to have a strong card with lots of possible uses than a card that plays several nerfed and weak cards.

There's only so much versatility we can give a Card before it's too impotent or costly to be worth using. Otherwise we could move to thr extreme and just design a dozen variations of the "Do Anything" Card.

Nothing else we have suggested yet can touch Stickies, and the Generic can only remove cheap ones. Those high Cost Stickies will likely have seriously detrimental effects, and we need a way to get rid of them.
Yes we need some removal. I don't foresee many decks being made without stickies.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 01:09:06 pm by Jerick »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2023, 01:51:42 pm »

Versatility is its own strength, and therefore costly.

But Sticky Rad Generators are definitely a thing that exists, and they'll at least have the 0-Cost Generics if not other Stickies that we would want to delete.
Some more effective means of banishing Stickies would be a good idea, yeah.

Quote from: Naval
Naval critters may only attack and be attacked by other critters with Naval
Probably needs to be adjusted to avoid being overpowered - since as written, putting up a Naval critter would prevent all non-Naval critters from ever being able to attack directly.

Edit: I checked the rules, and it looks like I was wrong, the rules do explicitly state that a critter must be able to be attacked by an attacking critter in order to prevent it from attacking directly. Still, the below edit is good for clarity.

Quote from: Revised Naval
Naval critters may only attack or be attacked by other critters with Naval. Naval critters do not prevent non-Naval critters from attacking players directly.

Name: Eminent Domain
Cost: 3 Rads
Image: nil, this is an incomplete proposal
Type: Trick
Color: Red
Effect: Destroy a Sticky your opponent controls and search your deck for an Engine or Station card, then place it on top of your deck. Both of these effects must be valid in order for playing this card to be valid. Your opponent may draw two cards at the start of their next turn.
Flavor text: It can't be unjust if due compensation is given.
Strength-vitality: N/A
Rarity: Rare
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 02:07:59 pm by FallacyofUrist »
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2023, 02:44:36 pm »

Quote from: Naval
Naval critters may only attack and be attacked by other critters with Naval
Probably needs to be adjusted to avoid being overpowered - since as written, putting up a Naval critter would prevent all non-Naval critters from ever being able to attack directly.

Edit: I checked the rules, and it looks like I was wrong, the rules do explicitly state that a critter must be able to be attacked by an attacking critter in order to prevent it from attacking directly. Still, the below edit is good for clarity.

Quote from: Revised Naval
Naval critters may only attack or be attacked by other critters with Naval. Naval critters do not prevent non-Naval critters from attacking players directly.
An upside to the nature of this game (as opposed to a traditional card game made by professionals) is that you can be a bit looser about how you word things. Like, yeah, it doesn't hurt to be more precise, but I understood the intention of the original wording, which is the most important thing.

Cost: 3 Rads
Effect: Destroy a Sticky your opponent controls and search your deck for an Engine or Station card, then place it on top of your deck. Both of these effects must be valid in order for playing this card to be valid. Your opponent may draw two cards at the start of their next turn.
While unrestricted Sticky destruction is potent, and being able to search up cards is too, this would get a significant buff from me. I'd probably reduce or remove entirely the opponent's card-drawing.
E: (Thought about it a bit more, I wouldn't remove the card drawing entirely, just reduce it. Destroy+search for 3 is too much, it does need a downside)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:38:03 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2023, 03:23:44 pm »

Would that mean that the same effect would be valid at a lower cost, maybe 1 or 2 Rads? I can't see it working for 0 Rads, though.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2023, 03:29:00 pm »

Would that mean that the same effect would be valid at a lower cost, maybe 1 or 2 Rads? I can't see it working for 0 Rads, though.
Oh, yeah, no, it would never fly for 0. If I was only changing the cost, I'd probably go with 2.
Another note, if it retained the giving-opponent-cards thing, it might deserve to be partially or totally Pink. Mechanically, Pink is far more likely to offer that sort of a consolation prize.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2023, 03:39:29 pm »

So something like...

Cost: 2 Rads
Image:
Type: Trick
Color: Red / Pink
Effect: Destroy a Sticky your opponent controls and search your deck for a Locomotive or Station card, then place it on top of your deck. Both of these effects must be valid in order for playing this card to be valid. Your opponent may choose to draw 2 extra cards at the start of their next turn.
Flavor text: It can't be unjust if due compensation is given.
Strength-vitality: N/A
Rarity: Rare

I made it 'may choose to draw' so the opponent can choose not to draw if that would be more advantageous for them.

Such as in a deck-out scenario.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:41:55 pm by FallacyofUrist »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2023, 03:48:39 pm »

Such as in a deck-out scenario.
Note that getting decked isn't an automatic loss:
Quote from: Rules
Alternatively, to prevent battles becoming an endless stalemate, if both players have no more cards in their deck, then the player with the highest Player Vitality wins (if that is tied, it's a draw).
...of course, if you have a card that can insert more cards into your deck, but they aren't able to overcome some sort of renewable defence on the other side, a game could technically still wind up an endless stalemate... but I'll deal with that incredibly unlikely event when/if it happens (by manually declaring a draw, and then probably change the cards to patch that specific scenario out).

E:(For reference, the reason one player being decked isn't a loss is because I don't want to have to balance the milling potential of cards if I can help it.)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:51:05 pm by NUKE9.13 »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2023, 03:54:54 pm »

E:(For reference, the reason one player being decked isn't a loss is because I don't want to have to balance the milling potential of cards if I can help it.)

Yeah, but if a player runs out of cards in their deck, even if they don't automatically lose, they're in for a rough time anyways.

Of course, since there's no maximum hand size, a perfectly reasonable strategy is drawing your entire deck, then just having every option available to you.

Assuming you can draw your entire deck, of course.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2023, 04:16:35 pm »

I have decided to drop out of this game, so don't wait for any votes from me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2023, 11:10:58 pm »

(2) Factory : Jerick, Kashyyk
(1) Devouring Blob : Jerick
(2) Common-grade Polluted Wasteland : Kashyyk, Fallacy
(1) Eminent Domain : Fallacy

Updated votes.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2023, 11:09:51 am »

(3) Factory : Jerick, Kashyyk, a1s
(1) Devouring Blob : Jerick
(3) Common-grade Polluted Wasteland : Kashyyk, Fallacy, a1s
(1) Eminent Domain : Fallacy

Have we not received Nuke's approval on the last batch of cards or did I merely miss it?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16