Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: DIYCCG - Team One  (Read 10193 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: DIYCCG - Team One
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 08:59:15 pm »

NAME*: Forge of Infernal Terror
COST: 0
IMAGE*:
COLOUR*: Yellow and Black
TYPE-SUBTYPE: Sticky - Industry
EFFECT: At the end of each of your turns, shuffle one of each of the following tokens into your deck.
- Infernal Scythe
- Infernal Armor
- Infernal Golem
- Infernal Runes
FLAVOUR TEXT:
STRENGTH-VITALITY: N/A
RARITY: Rare
----
NOTES: This card has no immediate benefit, but it will make an impact as the game progresses.
Spoiler: Token 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 3 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 4 (click to show/hide)

---

NAME*: Dance of Death: The Skeletal Walk
IMAGE*:
COLOUR*: Yellow, Pink
TYPE-SUBTYPE: Trick - Dance
EFFECT: Deal 10 damage to a critter. Put a "Dance of Death: The Grasp of Death" token into your hand.
FLAVOUR TEXT: Come along, come along, let us dance the dance of death!
RARITY: Unique
----
NOTES: Honestly, I'm just showing off at this point. Why did I spend upwards of an hour on this one? Oh right. Because the modern video game industry is rotten to the core.

Spoiler: Token 4 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 5 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 6 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 7 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 8 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Token 9 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:10:39 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2023, 01:42:51 am »

Hullo.

I remember CYOGTCG very fondly, despite the fact that my team's complete and utter inability to coordinate spelled our inevitable doom, and then the game crashed from demoralization.

In terms of concepts that carry over pretty well, I deduced three major victory-creating card attributes, all contributing to a win.

Engine - cards that accelerated playing cards, drawing cards, and gathering Stars (which would be Rads in this game).

Board control - cards that created a presence in play, pushing against the opponent and providing protection.

Trumps - ace cards that change the very dynamic of the game around them, naturally expensive but necessary as the endpoint of the engine.

The first three turns won't have any battles, so that means we'll have four turns of card design (the three battle-less turns, followed by the first turn with a battle) to design cards, leading to a total of eight cards (plus the starting Grey cards) to use in our decks.

So ideally those eight cards would have some engine, some board control, and at least one trump. I think two engine, four board control, and two trump cards would be a decent ratio, but I can't say for certain.

I won't be including images in any of my non-serious proposals, because the process I have to use to get an image into the desired size is an absolute buttpain, but it is doable.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2023, 05:50:36 am »

Tea Plantation
This is reasonable. I'd call this a baseline Tea generator.

Pressed into Service
Effect: Place 2 Reluctant Conscript Critter Tokens into play for each Rad paid when playing this card

Name: Reluctant Conscript
Effect:
 - At the end of a turn in which Conscript Attacks or Defends, it gains 1 Rebellion token
 - Rebellion Threshold: 0
Strength-Vitality: 30-30
Gaining 120 stats for 1 Rad, even with the immediately-defects-after-combat downside, is a bit much. Especially since splitting those stats over two bodies actually makes them more valuable. Being able to scale it up linearly would get out of control extremely fast. I would probably make this either a fixed 1 Rad cost for two 20/20 tokens, or scaling for 1 20/30 per Rad.
Minor note, I'd call them Rebellion Counters, not Tokens.

Overclock
Effect:
 - Once per turn, You may pay 10 vitality to either Draw a card or play a Card
Hmm. I'm not sure how strong this would end up being, but I think I'd allow it. Though I can imagine it getting nerfed if it performs spectacularly in battle.

Tea Break
Type: Trick
Effect: Select any number of Cards you own with a Rebellion Threshold. You may pay 1 Tea for each. If you do, remove all Rebellion tokens from, and restore all Vitality to, each such Card.
This actually seems a little weak. I think it could work as an up-to-twice per turn Sticky.
Yes, if you submit a card that I judge to be extremely weak, I will buff it. I don't expect this to come up very often.

Stern Officer Girlfriend
Cost: 2
Colours: Red / White
Effects:
 - Other Red Critters do not gain Rebellion
Strength-Vitality: 40-60
So, here's the thing. White-[something] cards intensify the effects of the other colour. Negating a key mechanic is the opposite of what they do.
Also, this is 100 stats for 2 Rads (=baseline), with an upside (arguably it affecting opponent's Red Critters as well could be considered a mitigating factor, but symmetrical effects are never symmetrical).

Watchful Sentry
Effects:
 - First Strike: Watchful Sentry deals damage before Critters without First Strike
 - Any Hostile Critter that attacks You or a Critter friendly to Watchful Sentry takes additional damage as if Attacked by Watchful Sentry
Strength-Vitality: 70-20
First Strike and [Sentry] are worth a lot more than 10 stats. First Strike alone is a major force multiplier, and the combination renders it bonkers. Sure, it Dies To Removal, but 70 First Strike is gonna stop a lot of Critters dead in their tracks. This would take a significant beating with the nerf stick.

NAME: Mountain
EFFECT:
- Rebellion Threshold: 5,
- Once per turn put a rebellion counter on this card to gain a red Sepoy token
- Any player may pay a rad to put a rebellion token on this card.
----
Name: Sepoy
Strength-Vitality: 20-20
This is a reasonable concept, although it is de facto a 20/20 Critter for 0 which can spawn up to 5 friends even after it dies. I'd probably up the cost to 1 and reduce the Rebellion Threshold to 3. Or reduce the Sepoy to 10/10.

NAME: Factory
COST: 2
EFFECT:
Choose a critter, that critter may not attack, defend or use abilities until the start of your next turn. lose 1 tea and gain 1 rad. You may use this ability multiple times per trun, provided you choose a new critter each time.
This would work with a cost of 0. While in theory it could get crazy, that would require you to have set up a lot of Tea and Critters, in which case you've earned your Rad bounty.

NAME: Hot Potato
EFFECT:
- At the beginning of your turn roll a six-sided die, if you roll a 6 - take 50 damage and discard Hot Potato.
- Rebellion Threshold: 0
- Whenever a card under your control gains a rebellion counter, you may place one on Hot Potato.
I'd wouldn't call it 'discard', but 'destroy'. Discarding is from the hand.
This is a weird card. Very swingy, which makes it hard to balance. Some games it will do jack shit, other games it will go off as soon as you pass it over. I'd prefer it to just say "At the beginning of your turn, take 10 damage".

Name: Polluted Wasteland
Cost: 1
Effects: Deals 10v damage to every critter that attacks. Every time this damage kills a critter you generate 1 rad
Rarity: Unique
This seems perfectly reasonable. Given that your opponent can choose not to attack with Critters that would die, it's not deserving of the Unique rarity. It'd be fine at Common.

Allow me to make the following proposal. Bit pessimistic that the GM might Veto this, but I have a bit of capital for giving them permission to host a game based on my own so it might get through. Also, the effect field totally said to 'Go Nuts' so I did. This one takes several cards from you guys' proposals and combines them into this monstrosity of a card!
NAME*: Meet the incredible Team 1
EFFECT: If you have no other unique cards in your deck, this card will be in your opening hand at the start of the game, and will return to your hand when you have no cards in play. When you play this card, choose one of the following tokens and play it. All costs associated with the token must also be paid and this can never play the same token more than once in a single game. Remove this from the game when you play the final token it can choose.
So, I know this wasn't your intention, but you could create a 'wildcard' that has this mechanic, it'd just A) have some sort of cost or downside to it, and B) only work with existing cards. Cos, yeah, I would veto an attempt to make me balance half a dozen additional cards this way. Sorry. I appreciate your blessing, but not to the point of driving myself insane.

NAME*: Forge of Infernal Terror
EFFECT: At the end of each of your turns, shuffle one of each of the following tokens into your deck.
- Infernal Scythe
- Infernal Armor
- Infernal Golem
- Infernal Runes
Quote from: Tokens
EFFECT: This card does not count towards your one card per turn limit. Draw one card. [do stuff]
This would be very dangerous, I suspect. While the basic concept is okay, getting 4 shuffled in every turn could quickly prove overwhelming. The effects are all minor, but given that they are totally free- costing neither Rads, nor plays, nor cards-in-hand-, even minor effects could stack up a lot. Maybe if it was restricted to two tokens I could see it passing muster, though even then, getting them shuffled in every turn would be quite potent. I think some sort of cost would have to be woven in at some point in the proceedings.

NAME*: Dance of Death: The Skeletal Walk
EFFECT: Deal 10 damage to a critter. Put a "Dance of Death: The Grasp of Death" token into your hand.
RARITY: Unique
----
NOTES: Honestly, I'm just showing off at this point. Why did I spend upwards of an hour on this one? Oh right. Because the modern video game industry is rotten to the core.

[9 subsequent dance steps]
Gotta say, this is a pretty cool concept, and not inherently unworkable. Tricky to balance, but the escalation of the dance seems... reasonable, I think? Not quite as much work as balancing half a dozen completely unrelated cards. With all the conditional effects, it would be a card (series) which would be more potent as a surprise, since once known the opponent could try to avoid setting up the requisite triggers... but that's part of the game, innit.

Well, that was a lot of feedback. Don't expect this for every proposal, though I will provide feedback for any especially novel or noteworthy proposals.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 12:35:13 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 11:32:08 am »

Okay. Following the suggestion of getting "Engine" cards, here are a few options to go with "Overclock".

Spoiler: Mind-Link (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Brain Jacker (click to show/hide)

And an Ace card:

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2023, 12:14:00 pm »

Name: Devouring Blob

Colours: Green
Type: Critter - Mutant
Effects: If this card is about to enter combat and has counters on it equal or greater to the opponent card's rad cost +1, and has more strength than its opponent's remaining vitality then the opponent card is destroyed, this card adds the strength and vitality of the opponent card to its stats and counters are removed from Devouring blob equal to the opponent's rad cost +1.

Gain one counter on devouring blob every time you generate a rad

Flavour Text: What it once was is forgotten what it is now is an ever-growing scourge
Strength-Vitality: 60-40
Rarity: Rare

Name: Disruptive Echo
Cost: 0

Colours: Yellow
Type: Sticky
Effects: If your opponent plays a trick they must discard it without activating its effects and then disruptive echo is also destroyed. (This destruction bypasses any and all effects that would prevent disruptive echos from being destroyed). If disruptive echo is in the discard pile you may pay 1 rad to add it back into your hand.

Flavour Text: You won't be given time to think
Rarity: Uncommon

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 12:19:35 pm by Jerick »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 12:33:16 pm »

Mind-Link seems a little overpowered for its cost. Search is good for a reason, and it plays the card too? It's not that search isn't a good thing to have, but that particular method would probably need a nerf.

Another note is that we don't want to spread our card pool too thin. There are six colors, but if we make cards for each of them, we'll have around... 1.3 cards per color? Discounting multicolor cards. Since each color has mechanics associations, that'll make it harder to synergize.

Personally I'd choose three primary colors and keep our designs using at least one of those at all times... but trying to figure out which colors would be inviting massive, painful arguments, so let's just make the first turn's designs and base our primary colors based off those.

My preference would be Green, Yellow, and Black. Here's engine for Green and Yellow and board control for Black.

Spoiler: Flesh Garden-Green (click to show/hide)
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 01:10:20 pm »

NAME*: Rushdown
COST: 1
IMAGE*:
COLOUR*: Pink, Green
TYPE-SUBTYPE: Trick
EFFECT: Draw the top two cards of your deck. For each card drawn, if you can pay the cost associated with it then you must play it immediately. If you cannot pay the cost of a card, it is discarded instead. If your opponent has at least two more cards in play than you do, this card has a cost of zero.
FLAVOUR TEXT:
RARITY: Common
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 02:31:59 pm »

Another note is that we don't want to spread our card pool too thin. There are six colors, but if we make cards for each of them, we'll have around... 1.3 cards per color? Discounting multicolor cards. Since each color has mechanics associations, that'll make it harder to synergize

There's no cost to having many colours in our deck, so I don't feel the need to arbitrarily restrict ourselves on which colours we use.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2023, 02:42:10 pm »

So when do we start the voting thing?
Also, could we perhaps decide to use a method other than voting, such as taking turns selecting card designs?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 03:36:56 pm »

There's no cost to having many colours in our deck, so I don't feel the need to arbitrarily restrict ourselves on which colours we use.
It's not an explicit cost, it's an opportunity cost. It makes it more difficult to synergize and focus if too many colors are used.

So when do we start the voting thing?
Also, could we perhaps decide to use a method other than voting, such as taking turns selecting card designs?
Yeah, the voting is... painful. It tends to breed bitterness and create internal politics. I'd be very happy to change systems to 'two of us each make one card, each turn' on a revolving schedule.

I imagine NUKE would be fine with us changing to that... as long as we all agreed.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 04:26:19 pm »

Sure, I don't mind how you pick which cards to make. On a personal level, I like cooperating and compromising to create proposals as a team, but I won't stop you from adopting a rotating solo auteur system.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2023, 04:50:18 pm »

For what it's worth, I'm going to oppose anything that doesn't involve collaborative Card creation, and the current voting/proposal system fits that bill.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2023, 06:37:35 pm »

For what it's worth, I'm going to oppose anything that doesn't involve collaborative Card creation, and the current voting/proposal system fits that bill.
This might be a bit of a counterintuitive argument but, I don't think voting is cooperative.

On a theoretical level, 'work together to decide which cards to create by voting on which should be created' works fine.

But on a practical level, it means more capable creators, those who are more popular/liked, or better at debate/making themselves heard, have a substantial advantage on getting their designs to be created. Over time this creates a pool of cards where their creators aren't evenly distributed. It works the same way in more traditional Arms Races. The creators compete to see who can get the most of their designs into the active pool.

I like the idea of rotating between who makes a card better, because it ensures everyone has a chance to make their own ideas into reality, and it's still cooperative because during a given turn, everyone who isn't creating cards still gets to analyze the meta situation and provide their commentary on ideas and priorities. It's more cooperative that way, even.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2023, 09:29:13 pm »

Allow me to formally propose the following setup:

We will take turns choosing which cards will be selected, in chronological order based on when a player joined the team; except with me at the end of the list. So it would be in this order:

1. Kashyyk
2. Jerick
3. a1s
4. FallacyofUrist
5. Supernerd

NAME*: Engines of Infernal Fury
IMAGE*:
COLOUR*: Yellow, Black
TYPE-SUBTYPE: Trick - Conjuration
EFFECT: Choose one of the following three tokens to play. Alternatively, you may pay 4 Rads to play all three.
- Man Melter
- Hellfire Obelisk
- Turbine of Hades
FLAVOUR TEXT:
----

---

NAME*: A Mutant Menagerie
IMAGE*:
COLOUR*: Green
TYPE-SUBTYPE: Trick - Summon
EFFECT: Choose one of the following three tokens to play. Alternatively, you may pay 4 Rads to play all three.
- Bio Menace
- Devouring Horde
- Tentacled Abomination
FLAVOUR TEXT:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 10:37:29 pm by Supernerd »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2023, 10:58:40 pm »

Allow me to formally propose the following setup:

We will take turns choosing which cards will be selected, in chronological order based on when a player joined the team; except with me at the end of the list. So it would be in this order:

1. Kashyyk
2. Jerick
3. a1s
4. FallacyofUrist
5. Supernerd

I like the theory, but this does lead to each player having to wait four turns in between getting to make a card for the pool, and shafting new players to join our team, a bit.

Something more like... the same rotation, but divide the card designs up between two players.

Turn 1: Kashyyk designs a card, Jerick designs a card
Turn 2: a1s designs a card, FallacyofUrist designs a card
Turn 3: Supernerd designs a card, Kashyyk designs a card
Turn 4: Jerick designs a card, a1s designs a card
Turn 5: FallacyofUrist designs a card, Supernerd designs a card
And so on...

Which cuts down on the wait time between designs for each player.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16