Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The value of a human(oid) life  (Read 2106 times)

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The value of a human(oid) life
« on: October 26, 2023, 03:20:33 am »

How much is a dwarf worth? And the other intelligent species?
If slavery was a thing in Dwarf Fortress, what do you want to pay for it?

Here are some actual numbers for comparison
Dog: 30
Cow: 300
Giant elephant: 500
Gigantic tortoise: 1500
Dragon: 10000

Here's my point of view.
Dwarves and elves: 2000
Humans and Goblins: 1500
Kobolts: 500

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: The value of a human(oid) life
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2023, 03:41:18 am »

Can you describe the thought process behind asking that question ? What are you trying to achieve, what information are you trying to dig up, how would this information be useful ? Whatever  you believe it may be, is it worth the contempt it is going to earn you ?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2023, 04:29:41 am »

I understand what you mean. You know what BS that is? People complaining about slavery in computergames, but are totally fine with manslaugher, theft and greed, destroying the environment, abuse and violence, mistreatment of women and adultery in games. And the most stupid of all: being offended by the SETTLERS of Catan. So I'm going to ignore all the dumb remarks and enjoy the completely innocent slavery of bits and bytes. :-) No offence.

Anyway.

Yes I'm working on a mod in which you are able to buy and sell intelligent beings, but I'm tryiing to determine a reasenable price. They are not easily compared with default pets.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2023, 04:48:56 am »

Yeah I missed the guy making the manslaughter and adultery mod, and the connexion it has with your post for that matter.
I blame version 50.0 for bringing this kind of degeneracy in the forums and I wish this kind of initiative would stay in the rimworld where they belong.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2023, 05:36:04 am »

And there he stands. the proud and intelligent elf. Only 2000 DwarfBucks. Do you take him with you in the expedition to new lands? He lives for an eternity and keeps building up skills. Or do you prefer four giant elephants instead?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 05:33:14 am »

I'm pretty sure there was a mod that had slavery as a feature way before the steam release was even a thing, so I'm not sure why it's a big deal. Also didn't Toady say that slavery was going to be added as a thing that could happen in the game eventually anyway?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2023, 06:47:54 am »

Slavery is a thing that happens in the game, humans enslave those they conquer, including other humans.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2023, 10:50:09 pm »

Can you describe the thought process behind asking that question ? What are you trying to achieve, what information are you trying to dig up, how would this information be useful ? Whatever  you believe it may be, is it worth the contempt it is going to earn you ?
They're not real dude

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 01:46:32 am »

Why does race have anything to do with it? The value taken from them would be based on their skills and attributes, and price would be based on potential value. Being a wage-slave works the same way.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 04:25:55 am »

Why does race have anything to do with it? The value taken from them would be based on their skills and attributes, and price would be based on potential value. Being a wage-slave works the same way.

Dwarves: Strange moods, martial trances
Humans: Wield large weapons
Elves: Immortal, can shape trees (not fully implemented)
Goblins: Immortal, no eat/drink
Kobolds: Utterances
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 04:55:10 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2023, 03:56:45 am »

I'd think it would depend on what you're using the slaves for as to whether or not race matters.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

aSpatula66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2023, 09:37:05 am »

Dwarves need alcohol to work well, and it's elven civilizations that shape trees, not any elf.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2023, 01:52:17 pm »

Yeah I missed the guy making the manslaughter and adultery mod, and the connexion it has with your post for that matter.
I blame version 50.0 for bringing this kind of degeneracy in the forums and I wish this kind of initiative would stay in the rimworld where they belong.
??
We had mermaid-harvesting long before Rimworld rolled around into the mainstream, and definitely before 50.0 showed up — what are you on about? And then there was exiling gay dwarves because they were less likely to find a partner, and for a long time the Hammerer would routinely deal fatal or near-fatal blunt trauma punishments to your dwarves for the simple offence of failing to meet a work order.

Your purism is misplaced, and made ridiculous by context.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 01:53:53 pm by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 11:28:52 am »

Dwarves need alcohol to work well

Individuals of other races can end up gaining alcohol dependency from emotional trauma, however.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2024, 11:17:06 am »

Dwarves need alcohol to work well

Individuals of other races can end up gaining alcohol dependency from emotional trauma, however.
Or at least they used to - I noticed a while ago that the logic for "alcoholism after experiencing trauma" had seemingly disappeared from the place I knew of, and I tracked it down to version 0.44.06 (whose release notes include "Stopped animals from developing need for alcohol after experiencing trauma") but wasn't able to get any further information.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2