Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do migrants arrive on an island?  (Read 948 times)

gordfitzgerald

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do migrants arrive on an island?
« on: October 19, 2023, 03:23:21 pm »

Hello, I have a fort on this new island that has no civilized population to speak of. However, despite it being isolated and far from any friendly civilization, people still arrive; both migrants and traders in steady amounts. However, my trader has disappeared after almost 9 years of development and has yet to appear, so something is odd with that...

My question I guess would be how did they arrive? I myself cant cross bodies of water without a clear path to my location whenever I choose to raid, so how do they come?

Is there a boat feature implemented yet? Or can we just chalk this up to simple game logic, and how they arrived is irrelevant. I would definitely like to see some ports being implemented to instill a early colonial sort of feeling to anyone willing to drink salt water and build on the surface.

Cheers :)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: How do migrants arrive on an island?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 07:47:21 pm »

Boats are not currently implemented into the game. They've been mentioned as a possibility but would be quite tricky due to being multi-tile vehicles and the game not really being well equipped to handle mobile multi-tile anything. (For instance, wagons are technically very odd creatures right now.)

So yes, currently, arrival of migrants and caravans/diplomats can be chalked up to game logic. Worth noting: last I heard (though the last I played was 47.05), you can't get traders or diplomats (or sieges/ambushes!) from civilizations not your own unless the island you settle on is large enough to host another civilization that you parked yourself next to (though by that point, given the scale of world tiles, it may not be considered an island anymore).
Likewise, game logic can be assumed for how did you get there in the first place even though no one knows how to sail.
(An interesting note here: if two separate landmasses are a very small distance apart on the worldmap, but still separated by water, you may be able to found a fortress effectively in the middle and thus bridge the two, because a settlement being there allows people to cross even if they logically should not be able to [because e.g. the settlement is hardly a "settlement" at all, let alone a bridge between landmasses]).

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 01:22:39 am »

They build rafts out of their beards and body hair.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 02:25:31 am »

a half answer: The first two migrantwaves are 'hardcoded' and will always arrive. (castaways)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 01:44:55 am »

I find that boats still function well enough as a roleplay answer even if they haven't been implemented mechanically yet.

As for how (non-flying) megabeasts get to my islands? That's a bit more of a puzzle...
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2023, 03:08:09 pm »

As for how (non-flying) megabeasts get to my islands? That's a bit more of a puzzle...

Most could just swim, couldn't they?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2023, 04:07:26 pm »

They fly, of course.

They spread their glorious beards, and let the wind carry them on. Like spiders that fly using their web.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2023, 06:08:24 pm »

The first two waves of migrants will appear spontaneously on the island.
They just sort of... appear one after the other on a single spot and this occurrence is never explained.

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2023, 04:33:41 am »

How did your dwarves end up on that island themselves?

(Insert answer here)

So did the migrants you see in the first two waves.