Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50

Author Topic: FEF: MegaMirager IC Thread Chapter 2: Shocking Debut (IC Thread)  (Read 35059 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: MegaMirager IC Thread Chapter 1: The Song that Connects... (IC Thread)
« Reply #435 on: January 26, 2024, 09:09:41 pm »

"Good luck with the application Nana! You'll crush it!" Misaki waves to Nana as she leaves.

Misaki looked around as they walked into the lab - it didn't actually seem all that impressive aside from the sparking diamond thingy. Still, she paid attention.

"I think if you tried to make Miyuki tell me to stay on board she might pitch a fit, we argued about this for hours last night."

"Hmm..."

Misaki took a deep breath. She had thought about this already. Like, obviously, that was what the argument was about. But she'd honestly barely got sleep thinking about it. This was a lot. It was joining a battle she'd known basically nothing about until last night. It was putting her health and potentially life on the line. It would mean flagrantly ignoring every worry Miyuki had about it, and it would probably mean hiding things from their parents.

...Speaking of.

"...Question first - my friend, Nana. She's sharp. She basically already put together what happened last night and I'm not sure I actually managed to deflect it. ...Do I have to lie to her about this? Because I'm not sure I can do that. ...Like seriously, willingness aside, I'm fairly sure she's going to corner me at school and force me to spill or something."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #436 on: January 26, 2024, 11:16:13 pm »

"I absolutely would. I am firmly against Misaki participating as a Mirager in any way. . . but I'll respect her decision regardless of my thoughts." she said, sighing.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 27, 2024, 04:26:52 am »

Freydis thinks carefully.
"As I said, the choice is up to you, Misaki, if you want to join. I won't sugarcoat it; this is a dangerous and tiring job. Your sister is right to be worried, Misaki. We will do our best to protect you, and Azusa and the others will guide you and do their best as well. But I cannot guarantee safety, only that best efforts will be made."

"But I sense your mind is made up, and nothing she or I can say can sway you. You had that same look Azusa had when we recruited her."

"Damn right we will."
Azusa also appears, walking in with her usual swagger and a bag of lunch.
"Kumon-senpai?"

Azusa strolls forward, pointing at herself confidently with her thumb.
"Like I won't lie. This job's not exactly fer everyone. You'll get hurt. But as long as I'm here, and you either believe in yourself, or believe in the me that believes in ya, you'll survive both the Amanojaku and the paparazzi. I guarantee it. Same goes for Mina, Banjo and Red."
"That's Kumon-senpai for you. Reliable as always."
"Besides, someone needs to save his ass when he's busy staring at yours, Peach."
"Eh?! Where'd that come from?"
"Eh? I have a nickname now?! Yay!"

While the other three converse, Freydis continues her answer.
"As for your....friend. Yukine Nana, correct? Javier showed me her application. I can't guarantee it'll remain a secret to her for long....but I would ask that if you must tell her, tell us first, and give it some time before you do tell her. We can swear her to secrecy, but Mirager activities should remain a secret."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 04:29:21 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 27, 2024, 04:41:56 am »

Nagisa was in right behind Azusa, carrying a tray of iced drinks (like some sort of tea, judging from the faintly fruity smell) and set them down next to the lunch bag.

"If nothing else, you won't be figuring this all out on your own. All of Fire Soul will be here for you, and as your senpais, the three of us in Galactic☆Fairy in particular will be available if you have questions about either the Miraging or idol side of the business."

He seemed amused by his own thoughts.

"...I'd go to Azusa first, though. She's been doing both longer than Araki or me."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 27, 2024, 04:43:04 am »

Araki walked in with the other two.

: MMPH. From the half eaten sandwich in his hand, the others could figure the brave sacrifice of the bread had saved their eardrums from a surprise Araki greeting.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 27, 2024, 04:44:16 am »

Yeah, of course. He should have figured that secrecy is very important for Fire Soul. He's not even mad at it, if a Mirager's civil identity becomes public knowledge, it could endanger their life massively, both from Amanojaku and from crazy fans, and from people blaming Miragers for their misfortune.
Seitaro pulls out Nyghthowl. He should know. He blamed the man who gave him this knife as much as he did the Amanojaku attacking them on that day.

"Tzk."
He weights the knife in his hand.
"If you hadn't been upfront and honest about this, there wouldn't have been a chance in the first place. So, for starters, I truly appreciate that."
Seitaro pockets the knife away once more. A side-glance to Hikari. A short stare down to the ground, shifting his right foot around for a bit. Then, he looks directly at the professor.
"You trust me, I can feel that much. So, yeah, I'm in and I'm gonna bust off my ass for you. But my song and my fight are for those who need it. If Fire Soul starts bullshitting me, I'll go indie, both as idol and as Mirager."
"Don't bother suing me if that happen, there's no money to rip apart from me anyway."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 27, 2024, 05:15:04 am »

"I guarantee you, Imaeda, you will never have to choose between fighting for those who need your song, and fighting for Fire Soul. I've made many mistakes myself in the past, and I do not intend you youngsters to follow me there. Even if it kills me."

Freydis claps her hand against her coffee mug, before taking a sip.
"Well. I sense you are bursting with questions. Fire away. We can handle the boring paperwork later."

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2024, 06:05:03 am »

Hearing the Professor say that does soothe Seitaro.
"... I agree. Let us make our own mistakes instead of repeating old ones. That's how we ultimatively learn more about everything."
His stance straightens up.
"There are indeed a lot, so I guess I'll start with the personal ones to break the ice. Ain't the first time I held Nyghthowl, but I dropped it... How did it find me again yesterday? And what happened to its previous owner?"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 27, 2024, 06:12:22 am »

"Once a Mirage picks an owner, they always know where they are, and will always come to your protection if they can. Nyghthowl...she chose you, and so will protect you to the end. I do suspect that her power was boosted by...other considerations."

Freydis taps her chin, considering Seitaro's second question after looking at Hikari.

"As to what happened to her previous owner...he's alive. We first encountered Nyghthowl during a raid on a secret facility doing experiments on Mirages. The wielder fled before we could interrogate them, but we tracked them down to a hospital afterwards, presumably wounded in a fight with Amanojaku. They have no recollection of Nyghthowl or Mirager work, and we didn't see Nyghthowl with them, so we let them be. As far as myself or Javier know, they're currently working for the Mishima Corporation as a production assistant on that Tomorrow with You sequel movie."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 27, 2024, 08:05:16 am »

”…Man was it that obvious I’d already decided?” Misaki sighed. She rubbed a thumb over Moralltach, taking another breath.

Yeeaaah she’d frankly already come here with her mind made up. Even if it meant danger, she was hardly a stranger to jumping into that. Even if it meant becoming an idol, well, that wasn’t a career path she’d ever seen for herself after starting to hear about the industry, but Fire Soul seemed to handle it differently. And if Miyuki was putting herself in danger then Misaki would worry herself sick if she wasn’t right there next to her.

…And she’d already told Nana about the ‘audition’. She couldn’t let her down.

”I’ll do it. After feeling what I felt at the concert I can’t really not. she said. ”…Also I want to punch that weird enemy Mirager in the face for putting so many people in danger.”

She paused a moment.

”I’ll try to keep it secret from Nana… and try and give you a heads up when she figures it out anyway. No like, locking her up for secrecy okay?”
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:53:23 am by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 27, 2024, 08:08:20 am »

: Speaking of. Araki wiped the crumbs off his face. Did you find anything about that Mirager girl? He continues eating meanwhile.

ctsun

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 27, 2024, 08:33:38 am »

There was a beep as Arisu received a message on her phone.

"Assemble at Fire Soul HQ? Why, the nerve. The most they could do was add a 'please' but very well. Duty calls. Toodle-oo~!"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 27, 2024, 09:27:21 am »

"I have an intuition about these sorts of things. Call it a gift. A wonderful blessing, if you will."
"I assure you, the only reason we will have to lock up Miss Yukine is if she attempts to reveal the secret to others outside of the Mirager community. I trust she has more prudence than that."

Then, Araki speaks up. So does Haruka.
"I'd like to know too. I....resonated with her Mirage. Last night, when our weapons collided, I could feel it resonating with me. I can even give you a name - Mordred."
"Mordred? That...is interesting. A moment."

Freydis saunters over to a nearby keyboard, booting up the database of known Mirages and updates one of the unknown Mirages.

Quote from: Active Mirage Database
? ? ? x00 - UNKNOWN DESIGNATION
MRD-x01 - Mordred - ACTIVE, LOCATION UNKNOWN
NGH-r11/NGH-x04 - Nyghthowl - DESIGNATION FALSIFIED
K0N-Q3St e100/KQN-x05 - Conquest - DESIGNATION FALSIFIED

Satisfied, Freydis turns back to the party.

"Mirage Resonance is not an exact science, even with so many people working on it. I have been working on Mirages probably since long before some of you were born. Please forgive me for the lecture on Mirages I am about to give. It's important for context. I assure you. Previously...I would say there were two types.

SONG-types are older Mirages. Attuning only once to a single, specific Biorhythm waveform. Those are the Mirages wielded by the Fire Soul Agency. Collecting and studying them is part of my duties, as is recovering them from people who intend to use them for ill uses. EUFON-types are newer Mirages, created from slightly cruder forms of alchemy. They can bind to multiple Biorhythm waveforms. The EUFON Initiative uses them as they have the largest stake. In Japan, there are four known teams of Miragers, two of which are present today. The Kazanari family funds the third, and the fourth works with the Mishima Corporation; we don't tend to cross over with those two teams, but they do share information with us as per an agreement.

As you know, EUFON-type and SONG-type Mirages have different requirements. Only a small percentage of humanity can use SONG-type Mirages, because SONG-type can only bind to natural Biorhythm emitters; what we call fold receptors or phonic receptors. Only a small amount of humans today have enough Biorhythm emitters to use SONG-types naturally. EUFON-types can bind to artificial Biorhythm emitters, which is what Quartz Fold Serum can create, and why more people can bind to them.

Recently, we identified a third, unknown type of Mirage. These Mirages have a special affinity for what we call False Biofold Waves. These waves are harmful to humans and mess around with Biorhythm. Mirages don't tend very well against these waves in large, concentrated amounts, though in smaller amounts the Biorhythm output of a Mirager can destroy them. Which is good, because Amanojaku are made from them.

Recently, we identified four of them; Mordred, Nyghthowl, Conquest and a fourth, unknown Mirage that was detected last night. I don't know very much about their construction, only that they can withstand False Biofold Waves where normal Mirages can't. That was what the Mirager you fought last night was using. Imaeda, if you will, please let me have a look at your Mirage later. I'd like to conduct some research using it and a shard of Mordred that Azusa was so kind to recover last night."

"It was a pretty big one, too. Nago did some work."

Freydis takes a sip of her coffee, then continues.

"Now as for why your Mirages resonate. Now some people are born with Biorhythm waveforms that naturally match others. They generally tend to be siblings, but sometimes they are strangers. Beings with naturaly matching waveforms who are not biologically related tend to be drawn to each other, naturally tend to understand each other better and generally end up with very close relationships. Such is the scientific explanation for love at first sight and soulmates."

At that, Tsubasa almost does a double take, and tries not to look at Hikari. Hikari, for her part, turns a little red. Freydis, if she notices this, doesn't react.

"A consequence of having matching Biorhythm waveforms is that both wielders can violate the normal rules - that a Mirage can only be wielded by one person it has matched to, at once - and both Miragers can use each other's Mirage. Both Mirages reach out to the other as if they were matched together too. In theory, this means, say, Misaki and Miyuki could use each other's Mirage, or Miki and Minase could each each other's. But this kind of resonance would only be possible where your waveforms match.

That kind of status can also be reached through close collaboration together, where upon being constantly in close relationships with each other, your Biorhythm patterns begin to coincide. But that's rare unless you've been close friends for a while. Minako and Azusa, for instance, have waveforms that match not naturally, but through having been friends and lovers through the last ten years.

But generally speaking, only siblings or very rare stranger pairs have Biorhythm wave patterns that match so closely their Mirages resonate with each other."

At that, Haruka simply looks shocked.
"..."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 09:33:50 am by IamanElfCollaborator »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 27, 2024, 09:58:09 am »

"...Oh so that's what those used up injectors Miyuki thinks she's hiding from me are for..."

"That makes sense, about the resonance. Miyuki didn't really tell me Beagalltach's name at any point, I just knew it basically once I touched Moralltach. It helped us keep going against the black knight wannabe until we got the help from Hikari and Tsubasa."
Sigtext!

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 27, 2024, 10:02:15 am »

Araki, having mostly mentally tuned out the lecture, managed to catch some of the words.

: Hold on, there was another unknown Mirage yesterday? Other than the girl in black?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 50